Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

2 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

No, I don't work IT. Also, I have been looking. I have read every comment in this thread. The billet lab thing is constantly changing. Why is that?

I even proposed, we all preorder their monoblock to support them, everyone is ignoring my call. Just like everyone at LTT ignored Madisons complaints. 

What are you smoking pal?

Also, what is this Billet Labs? Why are they called a Laboratory? Is it just a name to sound more rocket science-ish? Like what is going on? How many scientists are working there? What is this IP I keep hearing about? Who are their competitors? Why are the competitors looking to get their hands on this quantum block of copper made by Billet Labs? What is going on?

IMO, GN were completely correct to call out LMG on their test results and QC process. It’s forced their hand so they are now looking at their processes. The amount of corrections in their videos was getting out of hand. Which wouldn’t have been a problem if they weren’t “labs” results. 

But if you are going to found a company on the basis of accurate and thorough testing then it should be exactly that. If you aren’t 100% confident in the results, then they should not be published. This should be solved by better QC and testing parameters. Personally I think they should avoid calling them “labs” results until they are confident in their testing methodology. Perhaps they could invite GN to validate their testing methodology and results in the future. 

I think calling out the testing of the Billet block was completely justified. From a personal pov I can see Linus’ argument against retesting. The conclusion would have been the same so there was no point. But from a tech review stand point, it was unacceptable. 

I believe calling out the handling of the water block after the auction wasn’t called for. The handling of this has been poor to say it kindly, I believe it was a complete fuckup, but 100% human error. There is no reason to believe that this was done maliciously, what would LMG stand to gain? This was a business dispute that should have been handled out of the public eye.

i don’t believe that any of these issues are an issue that can’t be overcome. And I think that Linus may have to think about how he addresses the community going forward. Perhaps he needs a disclaimer, “these thoughts are of the individual and do not necessarily represent the ideology of LMG” or as he has said, they need to be vetted by a PR team before hand. But I believe this will be the end of WAN show as we know it. Perhaps they will move all the hot takes and opinion pieces to the floatplane pre show and keep the YouTube stream sanitised. 

The allegations from Madison are a completely different story and it’s good to see they are taking them seriously. But we should be prepared to hear nothing about this for the foreseeable future until the investigation has completed. LMG shouldn’t acknowledge this any more than they have done until the investigation has completed. It doesn’t do anyone any good to feed into speculation or rumour. These things take time and we should give them the time to process this properly. And now they have committed to publishing the results, there should be a public outcry if they go back on this. Though, personally,  I believe they will keep their word. 

2 minutes ago, CH23 said:

why would you preorder anything, and especially a monoblock that we don't know if it actually works? buying stuff out of support, instead of the need for that product is weird.

Just to support the guys I guess. Think it of as merch. Its weird how slippery people are when faced with brass tacks

1 minute ago, mikaelus said:

What are you smoking pal?

Raspberry Cherry Vape. Not good bro. I will go to apple sour belt once this one is done

Just now, Dean0919 said:

Wrong. Steve is an honest person. He's not a sellout like LMG, unlike them he cares about consumers and makes honest reviews while Linus company only cares about money and sponsors and doesn't even do their job properly and when they do, it's not done as professional way as Steve does and when LMG makes huge mistakes like we saw these days, they can't even man up about these mistakes and can't admit their flaws. It's just sad. Linus keeps embarassing him even more with these silly responds to be honest.

Yeah, like Steve has other avenues of income. Cool. I thought this was his day job and business. Cool cool, no ulterior motive. 

5 hours ago, Silvy said:

I disagree on this simply for the fact that it seems Billet left out information that was pretty important. The simple fact of the matter here is, it's pretty biased to only hear one side and assume that side is telling the whole truth. This is why in journalism it's usually good practice to get comments on both sides unless you are trying to stir up drama. The idea here being you leave it up to the viewers to determine how they view the situation.

When you don't get a comment, it just comes off as purposefully done in an attempt to color other people's views of the situation. Very manipulative in my opinion. 

Except we heard both sides.

Just now, Why_Me said:

Except we heard both sides.

No you didn't. People had pitchforks out for LTT when they didn't want to reply. We asked for an apology, we got one. We never asked to hear their side of the story. 

18 hours ago, BowlOfPorridge said:

not sure you understand what a "whataboutisms" is there skippy.

Well, THAT is definitely an impressive display of lack of self-awareness. I don't know a catchy word for that though.

Now that Steve GN has spent their last "Billet", I want to see how things change for good for GN in the coming days, say starting next Thursday?

Also the presence of an external investigator means, there will be no more "Billet"s for Madison either, meaning she is out of Billets?

This is going to be heart breaking. Steve should have just focused on making his content better, even more detailed. Would have been fun for him, maybe even made his foundation stronger. 

Just now, Dean0919 said:

That's another thing I dislike about LMG community, fanboy people like you who defend Linus no matter what. It's the worst thing that company can allow to happen - to attack criticism with the help of fanboys.

Well, I am here out of passion for entertainment. Steve just took 1 week of entertainment in short form video forms from me. I never allowed that. Also, he should've atleast had the talent to fill up such gaps when he chose this path. 

I don't care about GN or LTT. I want my entertainment like I am used to, it was LTT, not GN. Now I have to find something akin to LTT because of GN. 

11 minutes ago, jkirkcaldy said:

IMO, GN were completely correct to call out LMG on their test results and QC process. It’s forced their hand so they are now looking at their processes. The amount of corrections in their videos was getting out of hand. Which wouldn’t have been a problem if they weren’t “labs” results. 

But if you are going to found a company on the basis of accurate and thorough testing then it should be exactly that. If you aren’t 100% confident in the results, then they should not be published. This should be solved by better QC and testing parameters. Personally I think they should avoid calling them “labs” results until they are confident in their testing methodology. Perhaps they could invite GN to validate their testing methodology and results in the future. 

I think calling out the testing of the Billet block was completely justified. From a personal pov I can see Linus’ argument against retesting. The conclusion would have been the same so there was no point. But from a tech review stand point, it was unacceptable. 

I believe calling out the handling of the water block after the auction wasn’t called for. The handling of this has been poor to say it kindly, I believe it was a complete fuckup, but 100% human error. There is no reason to believe that this was done maliciously, what would LMG stand to gain? This was a business dispute that should have been handled out of the public eye.

i don’t believe that any of these issues are an issue that can’t be overcome. And I think that Linus may have to think about how he addresses the community going forward. Perhaps he needs a disclaimer, “these thoughts are of the individual and do not necessarily represent the ideology of LMG” or as he has said, they need to be vetted by a PR team before hand. But I believe this will be the end of WAN show as we know it. Perhaps they will move all the hot takes and opinion pieces to the floatplane pre show and keep the YouTube stream sanitised. 

The allegations from Madison are a completely different story and it’s good to see they are taking them seriously. But we should be prepared to hear nothing about this for the foreseeable future until the investigation has completed. LMG shouldn’t acknowledge this any more than they have done until the investigation has completed. It doesn’t do anyone any good to feed into speculation or rumour. These things take time and we should give them the time to process this properly. And now they have committed to publishing the results, there should be a public outcry if they go back on this. Though, personally,  I believe they will keep their word. 

This is also where i get a bit Iffy with Steve, i think this is ALL fully justified, the whole dialogue, especially after they started lashing out at him..

But the Billet Labs thing.. i must admit i also got torn round a bit... and i don´t quite know what is right..

the thing that annoys me is the "way" Steve presents it, because the mails Linus share, shows that FIRST Billet was OKAY with Linus keeping it, then they want it back, then they talk about reimbursement. and then yes Linus reacts after the Steve video.

When i saw the second Steve video, what i "understood" and i might be the stupid person here is that .. 

Billet NEVER asked for reimbursement, they wanted the block back, and Linus did not do anything before, and yes you can take these things out of the mail dialogue, but there was MORE than that..

It is still not okay to sell, never okay to sell. does not matter the "charity". especially prototypes. but apart from that.

i still think it just shows the "slight adjustments" of facts, how they can alter the picture a BIT... there is a bit of skew in GN presentation.. just a SLIGHT bit, like there is a LOT in the way Linus communicated earlier in this thread. 

does not change anything for me, in regards to the focus on the quality of content. which is also the focus i had, although the billet thing was just a.. "that is just not okay" and it still is not..

But there was just more that the "snips" steve took out. 

How the billet labs benchmark was done, was Abysmal, but that is something else. 

Again i must just admit, all this "half stuff" makes me.. less trusting of both parties. rather like full document disclosures than snips of parts of text of emails.

14 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

No you didn't. People had pitchforks out for LTT when they didn't want to reply. We asked for an apology, we got one. We never asked to hear their side of the story. 

Please don't insult me.  I watched the videos, I trust my eyes and ears and yes we heard from both GN and LTT.

1 minute ago, Dean0919 said:

Now you're lying. You clearly care about this, otherwise you wouldn't be here arguing. You should make a statue of Linus, put it at home and worship him everyday.

Are you good at zbrush? Maybe help me with the sculpt model, I can 3d print it at home. Resin 4k. I got the ABS like resin pro at home

33 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Also seems like ex employee Colin is one of the sources for GN. Just pointing it out.
Also cannot ignore the suspicion, that Madison may have been another source. 

agree, but the bottom line if it is true that GN used such sources, and did not give LMG time, it is very poor reflection on him.  There have been a few times I have watched videos, and the way and manner of it all was very untasteful.  I now use other sources that GN provide

4 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Are you good at zbrush? Maybe help me with the sculpt model, I can 3d print it at home. Resin 4k. I got the ABS like resin pro at home

Maybe you should actually watch the videos instead of making well over 100 post on it.

14 hours ago, hmfaysal said:

No the thermals didn't matter. Thermals usually don't matter anyways, otherwise we would use aquarium chillers with big reservoirs with our PCs. And these wouldn't be called aquarium chillers then, I guess. 

bruh 

1 minute ago, Why_Me said:

Maybe you should actually watch the videos instead of making well over 100 post on it.

I did watch the video, lightheartedly, as they were intended. Called hyper casual viewing. Also, lets make a 3d print of linus to worship. 

I once saw a guy sculpting a model in zbrush, mind blowing details. I am not good at modeling, members of my team use blender, but nobody is that good like the guy using zbrush. 

Well I guess, there is one video on youtube about a guy modeling Arnold Schwarzenegger in zbrush. holy crap. The details on that thing. Linus's model should be like that. 

1 minute ago, Commander_Z said:

Talk about braindead....

Well, how do you maintain ambient temps? Air con? How worried are you about ambient temps?

1 minute ago, hmfaysal said:

I did watch the video, lightheartedly, as they were intended. Called hyper casual viewing. Also, lets make a 3d print of linus to worship. 

I once saw a guy sculpting a model in zbrush, mind blowing details. I am not good at modeling, members of my team use blender, but nobody is that good like the guy using zbrush. 

Well I guess, there is one video on youtube about a guy modeling Arnold Schwarzenegger in zbrush. holy crap. The details on that thing. Linus's model should be like that. 

There were four videos. Let's start with that before I start picking a part everyone of your troll post on here.

3 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

There were four videos. Let's start with that before I start picking a part everyone of your troll post on here.

Lets goo, lets go picking. Watched all 4 videos. 

11 hours ago, Drazil100 said:

7 years is a long time. Anything can happen in 7 years. I do not think this is a "deadline" that is ridiculous. Linus has mentioned many times on wan show how he views YouTube as "You stop swimming you die" which is the main reason behind all of LMG's problems. This is the mindset that has led them to keep pushing their insane video production timeline and is the core thing they are trying to fix.

Yvonne puts it best here at 1:11:

Taran when he left shared about his struggle with with not being able to afford toilet paper when working at subway so he would steal toilet paper from subway. He carried that habit over to LMG until one day it hit him that he didn't need to do that anymore. He tells that story here:

LMG has been stuck in the habit at all levels of the business that "We need to keep pushing or we will fade into irrelevancy" and now that they are taking that pause I think they are FINALLY hitting that "we don't need to fight this hard" realization.

My take is that when Linus made that comment about GN he was being genuine, but he didn't know if something would happen in 7 years that would make Steve burn out. It wasn't a threat, he just views YouTube as a whole as "You stop swimming you die" 

Oh I don't think it was attack at all, the truth is that warranty like that can be easily broken, previous promise would not matter. I just found it little funny, with the original video being exactly a year after GN could have felt attacked.

Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?

26 minutes ago, Majestic12 said:

This is a perfect example of what I wrote earlier - Steve didn't care about this because it didn't fit in his hit piece. He pretends to be all "I don't want to do this" but then leaves out anything that might be in LMG's defence. It's utter bullshit and I can't believe people can't see through this. Steve knows that subscribers gained are more important than the views on a single video so this whole "We have no horse in this race" attitude is pure lies. Let's face it: LMG has flaws but at least they're going to work on them. GN acts as if they're anointed by god.

I have to agree, in as I have just post reply to another, there have been GN videos in which I found to be exactly as was done to LMG (Linus) and was very distasteful.  Even their newegg video was ok, but had really distasteful points.  But yes, GN where way out of line and I think it was a bit personal, covered with some truth in the miss-info.  But if anyone really watched their videos and WAN show, and in the community, would know that they are aware of this, and are working to fix, but it takes time... though taking some time, and as I do not work there, I cant say why.  Which is what baffles me with other posters who are attacking, miss.  But that being said, and with LMG reply, I can say alot shows GN in a poor way, but they have taken the week now to resolve the points the community have brought forward as they have.  As GN video did so, it does not deserve being the reason, commented on or being praised.  They do deserve to be slated for way they handled this, but not destroyed, but to learn from to change.  That being said, I hope those posting attacks and blame towards LMG stop now.  THey responded perfectly and as I knew they would given the time, and now they will fix things and be far better for it, and with the labs the main point many will use.   I dont blame Linus, I blame GN and those in the community with hatred; who did not give Linus and LMG time to respond, get the full facts.  Regardless of the post Linus made, that was him wearing heart on sleeve taking it personally which I would, with all the hatred and personal attacks he and the LMG team have taken. And that is on GNs head, and those who posted.  Linus is not perfect, he says so, and the rest, and even Luke says he has to save Linus, and that is why those 2 work so well, they have chemistry like Gretzky and Kurri.    I LOOK FORWARD TO LMG AND WHAT THEY ARE BRING TO US

Was a bit longer post than I thought.  but the things i have read on here...wow, just wow

10 minutes ago, hmfaysal said:

Well, how do you maintain ambient temps? Air con? How worried are you about ambient temps?

no I just die in 50 degrees and I let my CPU throttle because I don't have cooler on it, because no one cares about temps and it was sold without one, so why would I bother

14 hours ago, hmfaysal said:

No the thermals didn't matter. Thermals usually don't matter anyways, otherwise we would use aquarium chillers with big reservoirs with our PCs. And these wouldn't be called aquarium chillers then, I guess. 

Guys guys, you did not understand the avenue of this statement. To keep it simple, I have been saying it in other forums for years, engineers have been working on the same issue for years. To put things in context, lets have a simple comparison.

Does an ARM based die need the same amount of current as an x86 die for the same of of floating point operations? No, the number is almost half. The heat output is less than half. Needs lower cooling to keep up with the ambient. 

In critical situations, ie, middle east summer months, air cons with specialized coolants are not even best to deliver optimum ambient environment, they do water reservoir cooling to take heat away from critical parts. 

For components with smaller window of operating temps, the known method is always big reservoir of water kept at constant temps. 

Plain and simple, for consumer goods, operating temp windows are wide open most of the time. Same processor die is sold in Iceland, in Saudi, in Mexico, in Canada. Manufacturers can barely care about ambient temps.