Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

1 minute ago, jitteryzeitgeist said:

You don't sell or recycle anything you didn't buy, you didn't receive and sign for, and you don't have paperwork for, for one.

See this is what is a bit confusing for me. Typically would there be some type of written agreement for something like this? I can't imagine prototypes are loaned out simply on good faith like this if the expectation is that they will be returned.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, jooroth18 said:

Here is an unbiased third party review of the words:

image.png.136dbf4881e492b31bf6ef4858314d99.png

and since you want to make sure im not doing biases, here is a full link to the chat:
https://chat.openai.com/share/b96d29c9-177e-4cdb-bc6f-f951c26a1dac

Oh for the love of all that is holy, don't go bringing AI into this to try to help get an "unbiased" point of view on anything.

16 minutes ago, kendirect said:

Steve has literally never been a good person, it's amazing how few people understand that.

Sources? Quotes/testimonials/written examples? Do you have a personal relationship with him? Family/friends/highschool sweetheart? If not, it's your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions....

Just now, Skipple said:

See this is what is a bit confusing for me. Typically would there be some type of written agreement for something like this? I can't imagine prototypes are loaned out simply on good faith like this if the expectation is that they will be returned.

There is usually a lot of contracts in place when it comes to prototypes and a lot of paperwork, especially in cases like this.  Billet Labs seems like a new company? (sorry if I'm wrong, don't quote me on it) so they might've just been excited to have it advertised on LTT and paperwork may have been missed. 

That's a gray area that unfortunately we'll probably never know about.

@lyeuhm everywhere

Just now, Icedman181 said:

Sources? Quotes/testimonials/written examples? Do you have a personal relationship with him? Family/friends/highschool sweetheart? If not, it's your opinion. And you know what they say about opinions....

This is however also applicable to Linus 1:1

20 minutes ago, RevengeofProfKatz said:

June 30th, Linus agreed to send the prototype water block back, along with the 3090 Ti back to Billet if required (which it was).
July 6th, Linus again stated their intention to send prototype and card back.
July 12th, Linus stated it would be sent out the following week.
July 30th, over two weeks later after Linus provided a shipping time frame to return the property, Linus sold said property/ a prototype/ that did not belong to him.
Early August 10th Linus stated:
"So, there was a communication mishap and we ended up auctioning off the Monoblock in a silent auction for charity at LTX. The good news, is that it isn't just sitting on a shelf"
August 14th Linus lied in a post on this thread about having discussions with Billet and having come to an agreement for compensation, when in actuality, Linus had ghosted Billet after Billet had wanted to know how Linus planned to fix the problem in early August.
August 14th, after GN posted their story, is the first time Linus reached out after ghosting Billet. Billet stated to GN today they have not replied back yet to Linus's email sent to them today concerning this.

The moment to fix it started on June 30th, not August 10th with a public apology to Billet for the half-assed and completely unprofessional preview work that was done. The prototype and card included with it should have been sent back to Billet in early July, or more appropriately, when the preview with all the half-assed, flawed testing and product bashing was done. Simple as that. Linus has had a a month to fix it, and instead of doing so, made it worse by then selling the prototype at the end of July, and trying to ghost Billet when Billet wanted them to make it right.

You inserted "Linus stated" into each of those dates. Not even GN's "email" slide nor Billet's reddit identified that Linus was communicated with directly.

Why is everyone fixated on billet labs? Seems like a predictable mistake by the team. Too many cooks in the kitchen as it were. Doesn't change some of the more damning aspects of this such as the ability to shadow edit videos in place without requiring reupload or any other recognition, or the more serious issues such as LMG/LTT employees complaining about the video schedule which has lead to the need for corrections. And then you've got Linus' own words on unions. 

This is very concerning as a fan of both, as well as HUB and others. 

1 minute ago, Hezkezl said:

Oh for the love of all that is holy, don't go bringing AI into this to try to help get an "unbiased" point of view on anything.

What do you have against LLMs?

Just now, lyeuhm said:

There is usually a lot of contracts in place when it comes to prototypes and a lot of paperwork, especially in cases like this.  Billet Labs seems like a new company? (sorry if I'm wrong, don't quote me on it) so they might've just been excited to have it advertised on LTT and paperwork may have been missed. 

That's a gray area that unfortunately we'll probably never know about.

File it under corporate lessons learned.

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

For small startups who probably bing watched LTT since NCIX days, being star struck can lead to misplaced trust and bad business decisions.

I am hoping that LTT is taking to heart some of the criticism they have received. That no posts today mean a lot of internal discussions are going on.. Hopefully ones that have needed to happen.

This could be a huge moment for LMG if they take the feedback and learn from it. If they are honest with the community and take responsibility where responsibility is required. That they don't try and gaslight us with trust me bros and poor me's

We all understand there are growing pains but that isn't an excuse for everything. I believe everyone wants LMG and Labs to be successful in the ideal and promise of what it should and could be. Just better at transparency. Don't let the algorithm dictate quality and speed. Maybe do what scientific papers are supposed to have. Another team that provides confirmation to the previous study. 

I'm not sure but I do find it really interesting there hasn't been a post today and my fingers are crossed it's for a good reason.

Has this gamersnexus thing caused an uproar internally?

This whole thing is so confusing to me...

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 | GPU: XFX 6700XT 12GB | Case: Deepcool Matrexx 70 | Storage: XPG Gammix Gen3x4 M.2 (NVMe) 256GB - ADATA SU 740 SSD 500GB - T-FORCE Vulcan 2.5" SSD 500GB - Mushkin Enhanced Source 2.5" 500GB SSD - Gigabyte Aorus 2TB NVMe Gen 4  | PSU: Enermax Triathlor Semi-Modular ECO 800w 80 PLUS Bronze | Display: MSI Optix MAG27OVC 144Hz | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B | OS: Windows 11 Home | Steam Deck 

PC Peripherals: 

Mouse: G502 Hero & Razer Basilisk HyperSpeed Wireless | Keyboard: Ducky One Mini 65% | Mousepad: Techsource Topo Black | DAC: Schitt Fulla 2 & SYBA USB DAC | Headset: Alienware AW510H & Astro A40 TR | Speakers: Logitech Z323 

11 minutes ago, jitteryzeitgeist said:

That's not a quote.

That's quite literally an estimate.  It's not an invoice, an agreement, a placeholder, an offer, or a bid.  It's an off-the-cuff "Gives us our shit back now it's worth X" directed at a company who refused to do so.

Quote: "to state (the current price or bid-offer spread) for a commodity, stock, or bond"
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quote

Could this possibly be what Linus was referring to? No way! Clearly he's just a liar! /s

Just now, tbonedude said:

And then you've got Linus' own words on unions. 

Oh God, what are Linus' words on unions?

3 minutes ago, Hezkezl said:

He's just trying to summon Luke. 

Just now, aka473 said:

It's just the assumption that LLMs are unbiased... Unless you know exactly how the LLM "reasoned" it's way to the answer you can't rule out bias.

1 minute ago, tbonedude said:

Why is everyone fixated on billet labs? Seems like a predictable mistake by the team. Too many cooks in the kitchen as it were. Doesn't change some of the more damning aspects of this such as the ability to shadow edit videos in place without requiring reupload or any other recognition, or the more serious issues such as LMG/LTT employees complaining about the video schedule which has lead to the need for corrections. And then you've got Linus' own words on unions. 

This is very concerning as a fan of both, as well as HUB and others. 

To me it is the most egregious of all of Steve's accusations, and is compounded by the lie from Linus.

3 minutes ago, Hezkezl said:

what else can I do? if i interview someone, this guy will just say " well we cant verify if this is scripted or if the person is biased." atleast with AI i got reciepts.

3 minutes ago, HiTechLowSpec said:

You inserted "Linus stated" into each of those dates. Not even GN's "email" slide nor Billet's reddit identified that Linus was communicated with directly.

Linus's company is named Linus Media Group. Its hand in hand at this point with him being the owner and front man, not just some noob employee. You cant easily separate the two at this point or in this situation. And Linus, the person behind this entire cluster fuck, he himself lied about direct having direct communications with Billet, after he himself had disparaged the product, and them, prior.

Just now, aka473 said:

LLM = langue model. By design, they are created to make shit up as they go to fill words in a way that sound natural. Being accurate, fair, unbiased, etc. is just an accident if/when it appends. They were not designed for this

1 minute ago, eece_ret said:

File it under corporate lessons learned.

Pretty much a case of should've done that and a case of never doing that again at the same time

@lyeuhm everywhere

Sad that someone with Linus' money, success, friends and family, has to get his kicks destroying a small company and even then can't take constructive criticism from his peers and fans.  I never understood why he wanted to buy/build the lab when he's an entertainer above anything else.  I hope his labs lead and new CEO can get him under control.   I kinda feel bad for both of them.  I can see the younger people he works with might get a kick out of the chaos, but suspect those two would like some professionalism.

10 minutes ago, jooroth18 said:

LMG never asked Billet for an estimate, they made an assumption based on a prior email that billet sent with a ball park number. when someone is mad at you for doing something, do you really think everything in that email will be 100% true and not estimation? Billet labs email was intended to indicate the severity of the situation, so that further emails can be made discussing compensation. THOSE EMAILS DID NOT OCCUR WHEN LINUS'S POST WAS MADE.

an agreement is made between two people. If you really think that the agreement was between LMG staff, do you really think he would have worded it the way he did?

No, he would have worded it like this:
we are planning to compensate Billet labs for damages, and are in talks with them right now about the situation.

Here is an unbiased third party review of the words:
image.png.136dbf4881e492b31bf6ef4858314d99.png

and since you want to make sure im not doing biases, here is a full link to the chat:
https://chat.openai.com/share/b96d29c9-177e-4cdb-bc6f-f951c26a1dac

in this context i think he means "We (LMG) have already agreed to compensate billet labs", as he later adds "if they are good, i'm good", so i dont think he lied.

There needs to be a follow-up to the whole billet situation + Tim's statements. As far as quality control goes, personally i've been watching alot less, so... *shrug*

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11