Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

18 minutes ago, daydreamfaze said:

Requesting comment is NOT important in journalism when the content speaks on damages already caused to the community or customers. As Steve said, HE did not need LIEnus's comments on it because he already had them, and Lienus proved Steve right yet again, by quadrupling down on his ignorance. 
He did not reach out to AMD for comment, or Nvidia or Intel, ect.. when the damages had already been caused.. 
Thats called gaslighting... "were the victims, even though we caused the damage" 

The society of professional journalists’ code of ethics disagrees with you.

5 minutes ago, throwawayManMode said:

Do you guys think Linus or anyone on his staff is still reading these responses or do you think he's given up and trying to hide?

If you look at Linus' account here, he's clearly spent a huge amount of time reading this vitriol. Honestly, that probably sucked hard.

Just now, TennSeven said:

No mention of why the LMG Labs guy (no idea what his name is) felt the need to take pot shots at Gamers Nexus and other journalism sites in the LMG video that started this whole thing?

I think it was just overzealous passion and it caused him to say what he did. Since they are working on the automated process for benchmarks and stuff. I think it was more of a slip of the tongue than anything.

3 minutes ago, harls said:

Your interpretation is that it means LMG and Billet agreed to compensation. 

They did:

I don't know if LMG has agreed to it yet but I assume they will. They would be stupid not to.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't understand why he feels he would have "failed" if his employees would be allowed to form a union, Linus seems to take business matters too personally and doesn't want to separate his personal feelings from LMG as a company.

My only point was we don't know what their wages are and we don't even know if they are fair compared to other tech companies.

As for why people think he wants complete rule over everything its because of his attitude which he keeps displaying, and is made obvious in this thread that he's out of touch with the community, and the non-apology and refusal to publicly acknowledge this whole thing seems like he doesn't care about anything except the profit of rushing out a new video every day.

Because he wants to run a company that treats his employees well.  If the employees feel the need to unionize that means they feel they are not getting what they deserve and feel they need to bring someone in to negotiate for them.  That means Linus failed at treating his employees as well as they should be. 

The very start of the WAN show is gonna be so awkward. Like the, "hello everyone and welcome it the wan show, we've got a great show lined up for you today!" Frankly, the entire show is gonna be awkward. I really don't know how Linus will pull of his fun, energetic self.

3 minutes ago, Amaninacity said:

It is not strictly legally required. But journalistic organizations do include it in their codes of ethics. For instance, the society of professional journalists includes this:

Diligently seek subjects of news coverage to allow them to respond to criticism or allegations of wrongdoing.

https://www.spj.org/pdf/spj-code-of-ethics.pdf

NPR has this to say:

”Guideline: Give sources time to respond.

If our audience wonders what someone we report about had to say in his or her defense, and we haven't provided that information or explained our efforts to get it, we have failed.”

https://www.npr.org/about-npr/688177789/fairness#fairnessinpresentingthenews

Seeking comment, or credibly explaining why you were unable to do so, is baseline practice.

If contacting for comment would lead to the story changing due to malicious intervention of the target of the piece, then Journalist DO NOT have to reach out for comment.

https://www.ipso.co.uk/news-press-releases/blog/ipso-blog-do-journalists-have-to-contact-people-before-they-publish-a-story-about-them/

• telling the person prior to publication may have an impact on the story

Just now, The_Q42 said:

I think the set of circumstances here is . . . unique-ish.  LMG has massive power in this space, and could've done a lot to preempt GN's video and/or actively harm GN's business.  I don't think LMG would DO that, but I also kinda get where GN is coming from here.  Giving LMG a chance to rally is rather massive fanbase could've diluted what are genuine concerns.

I'm not saying I AGREE, just that I get it.  I think GN should've reached out at some point, but I'm not sure what the best approach would've been there as I'm not a journalist, nor am I a professional YouTuber trying to run a business.

GN could easily have addressed that in his video. I may be misremembering, but he didn’t mention it until today after he was called out.

18 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Trust me, we know.

No more "bro"? Isn't the break-down of trust the main issue here?

6 minutes ago, ILikeHardware said:

What this insinuates still stands, namely manipulation of the audience. To even further expand on that: manipulate the audience into thinking that because GN didn't contact LTT, they didn't get to tell GN they already took action before the release of his video. That's what those two comments by Linus are made to look like. By never going into detail, one could surmise that to be a lie by omission.

Your assigning intended malice to an action that hasn't even been performed. 

A lie is an intent to deceive on purpose. I dont think the intention is to here. I see another in a long line of comms failures internally. 

If people interpret it a way the ascribes malice or intent to an action, (which in all seriousness he didn't have to respond too within 3 hours, again I think he may of been trying to do the right thing), then sure it can look shady. I just don't think based off the public persona at least, that a intention to deceive is being made.

2 minutes ago, Retire said:

Let me give you a harsh reality check @LinusTech, You should have retired the moment you had that infamous live stream with the 10M milestone, you are incompetent to run a company like this, constant gaslighting, constant pointing fingers, the problem is not your team, or Gamers Nexus, or anybody else calling you out, RIGHTFULLY might i add, the problem is you, and your self-centered, egotistical, narcissistic, two-faced bitch attitude, and this "statement" is only fuel to the fire, everyone is gonna talk about this in the Tech Sphere, because YOU Choose to not take accountability for once in your goddamn career and instead tried to sweep it under the mudd, classy Linus, really fucking classy, the only peoples i feel bad for is your workers, who at this point, i would not be, in the slightest bit surprised, if they started to mass quit because you cant do your fucking job properly and instead of giving them the freedom to do what their jobs ARE, you crunch out 2 dozens of videos for the sake of a few bucks more, if you have the money to mass produce 3-4 videos PER DAY, and you have money to make a fucking 100K gaming PC For fucking Minecraft, then you have no fucking excuse as a millionaire to pay a couple hundred bucks to your OWN EMPLOYEE to do their fucking job properly.

in short, get fucked.

Joined 12 minutes ago, screen name is "Retire", signs their one single post here with "in short, get fucked".

To anyone complaining that I and other people doubt how constructive the comments of these new joins are, I present to you the comment above.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Just now, aka473 said:

If contacting for comment would lead to the story changing due to malicious intervention of the target of the piece, then Journalist DO NOT have to reach out for comment.

https://www.ipso.co.uk/news-press-releases/blog/ipso-blog-do-journalists-have-to-contact-people-before-they-publish-a-story-about-them/

Then you explain that in the story. Steve didn’t mention it until he was called out. And his reasoning was that he didn’t consider it relevant.

37 minutes ago, PandaSasquatch said:

Yeah, Billet Labs heard nothing via email in the single business day LMG had to respond before the GN video went live.

They had much longer than a single business day to fix this issue they created. Its been weeks, not days. Fact of the matter is they sold something illegally that was not their property and should have been returned if not forwarded to the next reviewer who was in line to cover it. And they have not made good to make it right, and lied about their plans/intentions to do, along with lying about their communication with Billet, so when GN covered it again today, Linus got caught in that lie he posted here.

6 minutes ago, Strazyplus said:

I am so disappointed, I thought the lab was going to be linus investing to improve their workflow and provide more quality in-depth reviews. instead Defensive, doubling down and ignoring valid criticism is so heartbreaking.

Auctioning that prototype is unacceptable. from start to finish LTT abused and trashed Billet Labs so badly that seems so damn malicious at this point. and fact Linus doubles down I am so appalled. 

I can forgive bad data if they make efforts to improve and increase accuracy of their data and prevent incorrect data being shipped in the future.
I can forgive ethical disputes and brand favoritism if they make efforts to improve.

All linus had to do is show integrity and express interest/effort to improve. but he doubled down.💀

I think in addition to making efforts to improve and increase their accuracy, they need to be making MUCH bolder retractions/corrections of mistakes as well. Back-door stealth fixes are not the way to go when you have millions of views on bad info, and those people will almost certainly never go back and re-watch the video. Granted not all of that bad info is very important, but some was ludicrously bad. And I'm sure GN didn't even find all of it, and stopped after a certain amount was found. 

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I don't understand why he feels he would have "failed" if his employees would be allowed to form a union, Linus seems to take business matters too personally and doesn't want to separate his personal feelings from LMG as a company.

My only point was we don't know what their wages are and we don't even know if they are fair compared to other tech companies.

As for why people think he wants complete rule over everything its because of his attitude which he keeps displaying, and is made obvious in this thread that he's out of touch with the community, and the non-apology and refusal to publicly acknowledge this whole thing seems like he doesn't care about anything except the profit of rushing out a new video every day.

Cause it would give him the idea that people feel that they need to protect themselves from LMG/Linus. The guy gives away tens of thousands of dollars a year during their Christmas parties, they are all receiving a 5000$ upgrade. I really doubt that he is paying minimum wage to his staff. Cause like I've stated before, they aren't actually chained to their desks. If they find a better paying job they are free to leave. But since most don't, I think we as outsiders can only conclude that his staff is correctly compensated.

As for the non-apology. This blew up while they were all asleep, it's currently 13:30 pm over their. People need to take a breath and give these people a chance to gather all info, go over steps to take before they post another video.

My apologies for any spelling / grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

2 minutes ago, AamirA said:

The very start of the WAN show is gonna be so awkward. Like the, "hello everyone and welcome it the wan show, we've got a great show lined up for you today!" Frankly, the entire show is gonna be awkward. I really don't know how Linus will pull of his fun, energetic self.

Honestly, this could be what breaks the streek. I know I would feel hella depressed at this moment.

8 minutes ago, Glorthiar said:

I had the same thought until I saw GN's reply to Linus' reply this morning.

it was honestly so shitty and rude it made me reevaluate the entire previous video.
What I saw previously as a difference of opinion and slight oversight now feels like malicious manipulation of the the truth to invoke outrage. 

I'll also point out that the video from GN this morning was clearly monetized.... If there was a conflict of interest requiring him to not monetize yesterday's video, why change did he change his mind about today's video?

1 minute ago, TexZeTech said:

Honestly, this could be what breaks the streek. I know I would feel hella depressed at this moment.

I bet he does the show anyways. Starts off with this though as it just keeps getting worse.

Every single one of you, myself included is posting into this thread on a device manufactured by a company that has at one time or another done something that I’m damn sure wouldn’t meet your exacting moral standards, or it seems the moral standards of self righteous Steve. I’ve stopped really engaging with videos for either of them. 
LInus has become more mainstream entertainment, Steve has become more I am the bastion of all knowledge do not question me. 

Anyone dead…… Thought not. 

Get a f@#king grip. 

If you don’t like it vote with your fingers, but get over yourselves in believing that anyone owes you a thing because ‘you supported them’

Grow the hell up. 

9 minutes ago, harls said:

Your interpretation is that it means LMG and Billet agreed to compensation. 

No. The interpretation is that they HAD ALREADY AGREED on compensation. Which is not the case and was not the case at the time Linus made his post, and is therefore a lie. Linus should not have used that wording if the deal wasn't finalized before the post. You clearly don't understand how tense affects the meaning of words.

2 minutes ago, aka473 said:

'malicious intervention', holy shit take a chill pill. No one has to change anything, but getting the other side of a story is expected and something Steve himself says they do in these types of videos.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

10 minutes ago, aka473 said:

Look. In Linus' original statement he said that "AND the fact that while we haven't sent payment yet, we have already agreed to compensate Billet Labs for the cost of their prototype". This statement has a connotation that the said act, being them agreeing to pay Billet Labs and Billet Labs agreeing to that form of compensation, was already done and agreed to by both parties, and that it was completed BEFORE the release of the GN video. However, we know from Billet Lab's own communications that this is patently UNTRUE. Billet Labs was never contacted by LMG about compensation until the GN video was published, and even then Billet Labs THEMSELVES hadn't responded to the email or agreed to the terms set out by LMG in that email. That original statement is at best a misrepresentation of the truth of the situation, and a down right Lie and lie by omission at worst.

The key point being, 'we agreed to compensate'. 

I read this as an internal we, as in We LMG have agreed to compensate.

Not that Billet labs have reached an agreement. He has not lied over this point.

As I stated earlier, he's lied about getting a qoute part yes. But if you want an apology solely from that then good luck to you.