Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

Just now, PandaSasquatch said:

Or maybe let's make this a more factual timeline, and break away from Ragelandium.

1. Billet Labs sends their prototype to LMG for review

2. LMG does said review

3. Billet asks LMG for the prototype back (this is likely a reminder of a previous agreement)

4. LMG staff responds saying they plan to ship it back shortly

5. LMG then reaches out weeks later on Friday August 10th, saying they unintentionally sold it at auction for charity

6. Billet responds angrily 30 minutes later saying the block was expensive and it's not ok LMG sold it

7. LMG responds to Billet via email on Monday August 14th (after the GN video went live)

Close it was either on Thurdsay August 10th or Friday August 11th depending on timezones and such.  That said it was 1-3 Business days from first contact of fuckup until resolution was reached.  With GN making the video around 1 Business day in

7 minutes ago, Ooooffff8732 said:

floatplane subs dropping every second rnimage.png.ff2741bf341eef7f04a8d20bbc7d3093.png

How many were they at before all of this?

9 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yet we don't know what the cost of employment really is either, given that Linus refuses to let his employees form a union but wants his staff to rush out a video every day regardless of errors in the videos.

People should get their facts straight about this. Linus has always said that he would feel that he failed if he gave his employees a reason to form a union. He never stated that they aren't allowed. And even more important, and something he stated himself, legally he can't stop them from forming a union. So it's utter BS that he would refuse it since it's not his choice to make.

Same for the discussion of wages. Yes, it's probably stated in some employee handbook / contract. But I don't know if any of the people criticizing actually ever read their own contract. But I can assure you that almost every company has some form of "discussing wages is not allowed" clause in it. Since companies don't want people to find out other people performing the same job are earning more. But they could never legally enforce it. I work in IT consultancy and work with dozens of different consultants from different companies. And each and every one of them has some sort of clause prohibitting them from discussing their wages.

But for some odd reason, people always try to frame it as Linus being some sort of iron fist dictator that terrorizes his employees. If he truly was that evil, do people honestly think that long standing members like Dennis, Luke, Ed, etc would still be working there?

My apologies for any spelling / grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

2 minutes ago, AamirA said:

Jeez. I've never seen the forum get this much interaction.

Screenshot_20230815-160750.png.155cc670538df8eafe67d8bdf670eb27.png

You should have been here for the hack 🙂

1 minute ago, ScoggsUK said:

Fair do's, they didn't get a qoute. Okay he can apologise for getting that wrong if that makes everyone feel better.

What this insinuates still stands, namely manipulation of the audience. To even further expand on that: manipulate the audience into thinking that because GN didn't contact LTT, they didn't get to tell GN they already took action before the release of his video. That's what those two comments by Linus are made to look like. By never going into detail, one could surmise that to be a lie by omission.

Just now, Drazil100 said:

You should have been here for the hack 🙂

Oh really?! I knew about it but never checked the forum.

1 minute ago, Shatterhand said:

Said he already agreed as a critique towards GN, while he contacted Billet only after the initial GN video went up.

So he lied.

Don't see how it can be so hard for you to understand this...

I read:

1 minute ago, Shatterhand said:

we have already agreed to compensate

As they have agreed internally to compensate and make right Billet Labs.  'We' as internal we or LMG. 

Your assigning intention to intentionally misslead. 

4 minutes ago, PandaSasquatch said:

Or maybe let's make this a more factual timeline, and break away from Ragelandium.

1. Billet Labs sends their prototype to LMG for review

2. LMG does said review

3. Billet asks LMG for the prototype back (this is likely a reminder of a previous agreement)

4. LMG staff responds saying they plan to ship it back shortly

5. LMG then reaches out weeks later on Friday August 10th, saying they unintentionally sold it at auction for charity

6. Billet responds angrily 30 minutes later saying the block was expensive and it's not ok LMG sold it

7. LMG responds to Billet via email on Monday August 14th (after the GN video went live)

You're forgetting "8. Linus assumes the situation is resolved before getting word back from Billet." After all, that's what you posited in your previous comment, right?

25 minutes ago, PandaSasquatch said:

Or maybe Linus actually thought it was resolved? Come on, maybe chill on the rage for a bit.

I don't think that's what happened, but if it is that makes Linus an asshole. You can't wrong someone (#5, they lost the prototype they were responsible for) then decide, for them, that the issue is resolved despite not even hearing back from them. Personally, I don't think that's what happened, but if you think that little of Linus I guess I can't change your mind.

14 minutes ago, dege13 said:

Exactly. I think this goes to show the poor communication at LMG. Nobody has time to talk about these things and emails appear to get lost, even when there were like 3+ emails where they said they would ship the prototype back. There were so many LMG employees saying they want time to settle down, take a break, learn from past mistakes. I noticed this myself before GN highlighted it in their video.

This is inevitable at any company with more than 10 employees. There are communications breakdowns regardless of the pacing. Anyone who has worked at one should know this.

2 minutes ago, JeffreyLF said:

1 minute ago, JeffreyLF said:

Someone mentioned 41257 yesterday on Reddit I think, but we can assume it was a little bit more since it was after it started going down

I was hoping for another response until this point but appears that, no, Linus didn't respond further.

I'm so fucking disappointed @LinusTech . I gave you the benefit of the doubt with that response.

If I had known this would have come up, I wouldn't have bought the pins I did last Friday. Can't cancel them now since they're shipped.

The fact that a small company asked for their shit back, didn't send it back, charity auction it off, then only reached out to them AFTER GN posted their video? That's scumbag AF.

Now, that microscopic silver lining. I believe what he said in the statement more extremely misleading that an outright lie. They reached out because of the GN video and that's what Lienus has talked about in his "statement" - hence why it's misleading and not an outright lie and that's the microscopic silver lining.

Of all the things in GN's video yesterday, this was the most egregious one by far and, somehow, managed to make it even worse.

He claims that there won't be anything about that on the WAN show but I don't believe that anymore. It will be ALL ABOUT THAT. Nobody's going to let that fly under the radar, just to be swept under the rug.

I'm not retracting the words I said. You fucking deserve all the fucking backlash you get for it.

Your very next action will decide wether or not I stay subbed or not. And this action, it better not trigger a 3rd negative GN video. You are lucky Billet Labs don't have the means to send you to court over this because they would 100% have a case and the receipts to show for it.

And, you know what? I was about to criticize GN's approach on their video yesterday when I woke up earlier but that all changed when I was made aware of the second video. I've seen enough to get the gist of it and I can guess Steve has said.

I know you will read this Linus. So, I hope you don't fucking skimp on your next response.

Just now, PandaSasquatch said:

This is inevitable at any company with more than 10 employees. There are communications breakdowns regardless of the pacing. Anyone who has worked at one should know this.

This is a fuck-up, but it's honestly shitty for people attribute actual malice to what are likely human errors.

It's fine for them to make some mistakes. But not fixing them, even when knowing about it, just because taking down a video and then reuploading it is bad for 'the algorithm' is stupid.

9 minutes ago, Leksi T said:

OK, It's this kinda crap that gets me riled and feeling I need to leave before I lose any objectivity.  How is this helping? "Oh yay! Floatplane is falling!" Grow up.

how is the liar going to learn a lesson? serious question.

Just now, ayysub said:

Saw a comment over on reddit that says it would've been cheaper to retest. I am interested to see how this will go on the WAN show this week. If they don't turn this shit around and apologize, it'll probably get worse.

Just now, Karon said:

You're projecting your own main character syndrome onto others. Shame on you. 

If you have a problem with anyone saying "Legitsu had a bad take" I don't know what to tell you lmao

Just now, Falenone_ said:

Unsubscribed and deleted the account. Such a pisspoor response by Linus to all this. 

Surely he will make this right in the future but his response here was very poor in my opinion. 

5 minutes ago, AamirA said:

Oh really?! I knew about it but never checked the forum.

Yeah but that thread only had 83 pages. It moved very quickly though xD

I don't think GN ever implied malice in their video.  What they are implying, or maybe they outright said it, is negligence. It's a subjective term, but unfortunately, it would be very hard for me to say that the word is wrong here.

15 minutes ago, harls said:

Read what he wrote.  He did not say He had agreed to a price with Billet.  He did not say LMG and Billet agreed.  He said we agreed.  Quite possibly meaning that LMG has agreed that they will pay what they need to to make it right.  Remember this all happened over the course of a couple business days.  

If he meant that LGM has agreed to pay it back internally but hasn't made the offer to Billet, then it doesn't make sense in using it to critique GN.

Shooting at GN with the "we already agreed" makes only sense in the context of that it is already resolved between LGM and Billet and thus GN is implying that GN is omitting that information on purpose. In the context it is written it doesn't make sense to interpret it any other way.

Do you guys think Linus or anyone on his staff is still reading these responses or do you think he's given up and trying to hide?

1 minute ago, Leksi T said:

I don't think GN ever implied malice in their video.  What they are implying, or maybe they outright said it, is negligence. It's a subjective term, but unfortunately, it would be very hard for me to say that the word is wrong here.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really care if it's malice or negligence. Motivation makes no difference to me, the reality is LMG has hurt their credibility and another small business, why they did it makes little difference to me.