Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

8 minutes ago, Wintyr said:

anyone see those numbers of SUBS plummit

Screenshot 2023-08-15 122934.jpg

I dropped my float plane sub, if he's gonna be too cheap to accurately test a product before slamming it publicly then he doesn't need my money. 

2 minutes ago, RichardBirch said:

Sweet Jesus. Billet even sent them a 3090ti to test said block on and they still put out that terrible video?! And people in this thread have the gall to question others journalistic integrity? Oh and they STILL have that card too (presumably lost as they couldn't even find it for the video they were shooting about it.

It's a comedy of errors. Staggering levels of incompetence.

Yeah someone has to step in. The new CEO? Linus himself? Luke, Emily, anyone would do. Organization needs to be fixed at some point.

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

7 minutes ago, jitteryzeitgeist said:

GN: Says out loud what LTT did

LTT fanoids:  HITJOB IT WAS A HITJOB

LIenus2.JPG

2 minutes ago, harls said:

Where did Linus Lie?

Read the following, he lied through through his teeth in his response at the exact moment he said he was disappointed that GN hadn't reached out to him about the billet issue because it was already resolved....there was no resolution in place or happening until AFTER GN posted their video, GN has the email receipts on that. NOW he is squirming around around trying to make it all go away, he didn't try to get the block back/pay them compensation/even acknowledge that he owed them anything until after GN posted the video. THEN he went into overdrive trying to cover his tracks.

Not only all this LTT STILL has Billet's 3090ti which SHOULD have been used for the video! You know, the one they botched and and dragged Billet through the mud unnecessarily, then doubled down on the WAN show?

1 minute ago, PandaSasquatch said:

Billet just posted up update on Reddit. Seems like they want a pound of flesh more than a proper resolution.

UPDATE

For full transparency, Linus contacted us this evening saying it's likely he can get the block back from the buyer.

We have declined this offer, and asked for the previously agreed monetary value instead for the following reasons:

1. we have already spent a significant percentage of the value of the block in the last few days on replacement parts to build a new block, assuming we'd never see the original one again.

2. we do not know if the original block is still in good working condition, and how much money will be needed to fix it if it's not.

3. we don't know if any of the bespoke fittings are missing, each of these costs money to replace if they are.

4. LTT have had our 3090ti without using it for 9 weeks, so we have lost confidence that they will return items quickly.

5. LTT isn't currently in possession of the block, they've only said that they can get it back. We therefore don't know when we'd get it back, and time is of the essence.

6. LTT has confirmed that the block is with a private individual rather than a rival company, so lost IP is much less of an issue.

We wanted to state this publicly just in case anyone has any issues with the fact that the block has potentially been found, and we chose to take the money instead. We hope you understand our reasoning here. We can have our new block that we're currently making ready in the next couple of weeks, and we are sceptical that we would have the original block back in fully working condition in that amount of time – it would be a gamble at the very least.

Much love

Dean & Felix

4 minutes ago, zeroality said:

With evidence, third party confirmations and email timelines validated. 

LTT guzzlers: STEVE SHOULD’VE BEEN NICER ABOUT EXPOSING THE LIES, THEFT AND GROSS NEGLIGENCE THAT COULD’VE DESTROYED A STARTUP OF 2 PEOPLE

If losing 1 prototype can destroy your startup, perhaps your startup shouldn’t have been sending out prototypes half way around the world to be reviewed.

My apologies for any spelling / grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

13 minutes ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Billet Labs is getting their money back finally. At least no rival company had the block. Linus got off this one easily. Please repost for context.

Linus offered to send the block back today? Good on him. Doesn't absolve everything - not even close - but at least he's trying to make it right. Also glad to hear it sounds like it didn't end up in the hands of a rival company, which is good.

2 minutes ago, harls said:

He never said he had an agreement with Billet labs.  

22 hours ago, LinusTech said:

and could have asked me for context that may have proven to be valuable (like the fact that we didn't 'sell' the monoblock, but rather auctioned it for charity due to a miscommunication... AND the fact that while we haven't sent payment yet, we have already agreed to compensate Billet Labs for the cost of their prototype)

Then what is this? In order to compensate someone, you have to reach an agreement on the amount.

4 minutes ago, Elizzy said:

I threw together a dashboard monitoring the total sub count starting around an hour ago:

It will be interesting to watch.

As much as I am against Linus here... This is not constructive. Can we not gamify the downfall of Linus's company? More people work there than just Linus. We also have yet to see Terren's influence since he became CEO. Took half a year before we started seeing the influence of YouTube's new CEO.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Emotion said:

Yeah someone has to step in. The new CEO? Linus himself? Luke, Emily, anyone would do. Organization needs to be fixed at some point.

Linus hasn't realized yet that the most valuable thing his channel has is not the expensive Lab, not the 80+ employees or his ego. It's the trust of his subscribers and he's working hard to lose that. Without subscribers, LMG is nothing. If he's not even willing to invest a few hundred bucks to retest a failed result, how can we trust him with anything?

1 hour ago, notFalkon said:

I can tell you right now that they're not paying 90-100 USD/hour. If you do the math on that, 90 (dollars) * 40 (hour work-week) * 52 (weeks in a year) is 187,200 USD or roughly 250k CAD (280k CAD at 100 USD/hour). Linus has repeatedly said on the WAN show that they don't pay Apple/Google money (which to be fair, is probably more than that), so those salaries are definitely off, especially considering the disparity between US and Canadian wages, and how relatively young most LMG employees are.

Is it really that hard to read? The cost of employing someone is entirely different from what you pay them. You need an office building, utilities, insurance, tools and equipment, etc. The costs really add up quite quickly if you add it all together. And sure, it varies per country and role, but generally for a technical position you can assume it's really that much an hour in a western country to get skilled white collar work done in an office, and only a fraction of that sum goes to the employee.

Just now, SimonShipperd said:

If losing 1 prototype can destroy your startup, perhaps your startup shouldn’t have been sending out prototypes half way around the world to be reviewed.

The prototype probably cost them 10x the retail value of the product. Sending out the prototype for review makes it so more people go to their site and potentially pre-order the product allowing them to receive more funding.

1 minute ago, SimonShipperd said:

This is usually how start ups gain publicity and grow though, they send their product to reviewers for a much wider audience that regular advertising would likely never reach.

"One must imagine Linus happy."

Just now, Drazil100 said:

As much as I am against Linus here... This is not constructive. Can we not gamify the downfall of Linus's company? More people work there than just Linus. We also have yet to see Terren's influence since he became CEO. Took half a year before we started seeing the influence of YouTube's new CEO.

In my other post I stated that it's mostly to have data on what is happening, I have a feeling it'll stagnate soon enough and stabilize. A lot of the loss of subs is probably people who subscribed for the LTX content, for example. 

1 minute ago, Leksi T said:

Honestly, it's up for Billet to demand public apology or not, not us.

Mind, if LMG figures out a plan they can share with us regarding all the other issues, a straightforward apology to the community alongside it would be far from misplaced.

No, no, no, no. You don't seem to have followed developments. Linus lied about Billet yesterday. He made it look like the situation was already resolved (something which was a complete fabrication). I am not an LTT fan for some time now but I am a tech guy. And as a tech guy and a human being I demand an apology for the lies that were said to me and to millions of others.

CPU: 7900X

GPU: 7900XTX

RAM: 32 GBs DDR5

1 minute ago, VisibleXela said:

Linus offered to send the block back today? Good on him. Doesn't absolve everything - not even close - but at least he's trying to make it right. Also glad to hear it sounds like it didn't end up in the hands of a rival company, which is good.

According to Billet, LTT doesn't have the block yet, so they can't send it back today. They just confirmed it's not with a competitor and that it's "likely he can get the block back from the buyer."

3 minutes ago, Elizzy said:

Because I am not entirely convinced it'll make a difference over the next couple of weeks, and having the data to make a conclusion is nice. I am of the opinion that the drop won't matter much for the company long term.

5 minutes ago, Elizzy said:

I threw together a dashboard monitoring the total sub count starting around an hour ago:

https://grafana.elizabeth.codes/public-dashboards/10023c4c479744e191760225708c0124?orgId=1

It will be interesting to watch.

I dont get really get your point, or what conclusion your hoping to arrive at other than proving or disproving another person's misery.

Just now, Hezkezl said:

It's not brigading if people are coming here over a recent thing that happened, despite lurking around in the past (like myself, I registered about 4 years ago I think?). Brigading would be a concentrated effort of "HEY GO GET THEM!" by somebody elsewhere in an attempt to flood the forum with negative messages.

From what I've seen, this is entirely from people deciding on their own that it's too much and that there needs to be changes, despite what the ardent defenders are trying to do.

Guaranteed there are people here in this thread running a Discord or something else, telling people to come over here. The sheer number of new joins is indicative of this. Again, this forum is easy to join, so it's not really believable all these people just decided to show up as 'long-time fans' today, and get started on this drama. Even if they are long-time viewers, they've not been active in this community at all up until this point.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 minute ago, Drazil100 said:

Hopefully there won't be a downfall, and LMG can take action quick enough that in the long run this just seems like a speedbump and a lesson in the past.

3 minutes ago, Hezkezl said:

It's not brigading if people are coming here over a recent thing that happened, despite lurking around in the past (like myself, I registered about 4 years ago I think?). Brigading would be a concentrated effort of "HEY GO GET THEM!" by somebody elsewhere in an attempt to flood the forum with negative messages.

From what I've seen, this is entirely from people deciding on their own that it's too much and that there needs to be changes, despite what the ardent defenders are trying to do.

Yeah, this. Big controversy, with a terrible public statement, only made available on the LTT forums, with a deliberate indication that there will be no other response channel other than the LTT forums? That means that lots of people are going to come to the LTT forums. It's not surprising, and not necessarily brigading.

1 minute ago, VisibleXela said:

love the victim blaming up in here, always good

There is a difference between victim blaming and pointing out a bit of responsability. I know it's popular in this day and age to simply state that a victim is always 100% in the right. But if you get hit by a car by running in the middle of the high way, it's not victim blaming.

My apologies for any spelling / grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

2 minutes ago, Elizzy said:

In my other post I stated that it's mostly to have data on what is happening, I have a feeling it'll stagnate soon enough and stabilize. A lot of the loss of subs is probably people who subscribed for the LTX content, for example. 

Fair. I just don't want to see people unsubbing because of the graph. They should unsub because they don't want to support Linus not because they want to see funny number go down.

1 minute ago, SimonShipperd said:

I'm not sure how this matters in any way to this whole issue. Even if they decided to loan Linus every single one of their tools, blueprints, prototypes and keys to their office, it was not up to LMG to auction it.

Just now, atxcyclist said:

Guaranteed there are people here in this thread running a Discord or something else, telling people to come over here. The sheer number of new joins is indicative of this. Again, this forum is easy to join, so it's not really believable all these people just decided to show up as 'long-time fans' today, and get started on this drama. Even if they are long-time viewers, they've not been active in this community at all up until this point.

yup you can open the profiles and see when they created there accounts its funny there people that that have joined today that have more posts then i do and i joined in 2014