Gamers Nexus alleges LMG has insufficient ethics and integrity

osgalaxy
Message added by TVwazhere,

Please remember that the Community Standards apply to all threads including this one:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner
  • "Don't be a dick" —Wil Wheaton
  • "Be excellent to each other" —Bill and Ted
  • Remember your audience; both present and future

i fell sorry for the employees, now either Linus doesn't change a thing and the LMG corporation can only circle the drain and they end up unemployed or he does change it, less videos, less money, and they end up unemployed. It's the end of the line for a lot of his employees

not sure if they are even aware of this

2 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

A lot of people are missing this sometimes how your report something matters more than why that is part of journalistic integrity and that is a point I think Steve has missed it. Doesn't matter if you're right if you look like a douchebag while reporting on it

You are going from stoopid take to really stoopid take to just shier lunacy. Great way to represent LTT

2 minutes ago, Junkyard messiah. said:

I am 60 years old, My first computer had 1K of ram. My first video game was pong.

Let that sink in for a moment, I have seen a lot of computing history, I actively game and watch content to decide on what to buy and why. Because I build PC's for a lot of friends and family. for YEARS people have been in his comments section calling out errors and were largely ignored. Questioned the ethics of some of his interactions and told to go pound sand by his fanboy followers. 

Steve calls it out and what do we get as a response? We see the true face of LTT. This is it, He misrepresented everything in the timeline around Billet , he outright lied to everyone here as he had ghosted billet and they were getting nothing back from LTT. They (Billet) should have gone public with it. But probably didn't because they knew THIS was the company they were dealing with, and a startup does not need that kind of heat from his fan-base.

He lied.  plain and simple truth. He could have been a man about it and owned it. But as we can see from the response he is defending his company first and the rest of us be damned. 

This is what you look like right now Linus .. do better

liar.jpg

You forgot the Bro

2 minutes ago, Hezkezl said:

Go watch GN's new video, it's only about 10 minutes long for the relevant part. He specifically mentions why he didn't contact Linus personally first, and I think it's a completely valid reason.

He said he didn't contact Linus first because he felt Linus was guilty.  Steve didn't want any evidence to the contrary. 

54 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

this didn't age well... 

I'm a huge ltt fan but this response is just terrible. Linus has been on the edge for too long to hit LMG bottomline to keep the funds pumping for their projects which i'm hyped for but if that means ignoring so many faults i'd prefer them taking it slower

It's tough.  Is kinda why I was more than just hinting that Linus should stop posting last night.  I have little doubt that yesterday he probably lacked info or even that he people around him had enough time to dig into this.  I understand that Linus has a huge amount of faith in his team, and I can understand him wanting to get in front of this and defend himself and his team.  However, I wonder if he was more than just a little panicky yesterday, and in this case, I could have understood him taking some time to prepare something.  I don't mean, like, PR style say alot of words but say nothing.  But, go back to his team, do some digging internally, and then have something solid to say.

On the other hand, I know it's GN's style to keep the pressure on, but this new vid... It's very difficult to see this as more than an attack now, despite good points Steve may have raised.  I can only imagine that this type of barrage is only going to make it alot harder for LMG to say anything publicly. At this point if I was leading LMG I'd be very tempted to hire PR writers and turtle up.  Which would destroy LMG, in a few ways.  And it's not good for the space to lose LMG. It doesn't feel like there's any warning shots from GN here. They're straight up hitting them where it hurts, and they're not letting up.

2 minutes ago, Reclus said:

That is what Linus had a chance to say bud didn't. Spare me the BS 99% talk. Your implications or theories are meaningless because we have evidence and facts presented. Absolutely embarrassing this fanboying club of LTT... 

You do realize that youre on the site he owns and runs that he has left this thread up for hours shitting on him when with literally no effort he could block any and all talk of it on here but hasn't...

Good god, itsd almost like you don't understand that in a few weeks when this has blown over most rando's won't remember the drama but will remember the LTT name and especially if they start with the back catalog of videos that were better.... 

yall are hilarious with your online outrage!

You are literally adding to his sites stats with each comment and sign up lololol

1 minute ago, ayysub said:

yes, of course thats the main purpose of a business. however, by true colours, i meant linus doesn't seem to care about integrity, the community/consumers, and being accurate with their findings, like how he says he does. he just cares about making money by churning out as many videos as possible. the way he reacted to the criticism and tried to brush it off is unacceptable 

Won't argue with you there

Will have to see if he actually responds in an appropriate mannor.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

3 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

A lot of people are missing this: sometimes how your report something matters more than to the why. that is part of journalistic integrity and that is a point I think Steve has missed it. Doesn't matter if you're right if you look like a douchebag while reporting on it

So how you report on something is more important than getting to the truth and exposing lies? Your hot takes just keep rolling in dont they 😅

liar.thumb.jpg.77c035866496c2ad4592ebc4e937ecc3.jpg

29 minutes ago, VisibleXela said:

I would argue that Linus is absolutely telling the truth. Linus said they reached out to pay back for the prototype, which is true! He just conveniently left out the part where he didn't do that until after everyone got upset.

At this point you are bending over backwards (and forwards frankly) to defend the indefensible. Linus said that Billet gave them a "quote" for the prototype and that both parties were settled. E-mailing someone about the approximate value of a thing is not and would never be honestly called a "quote". I know this because I sell electronics and real quotes have things like cost of shipping, tax, in this case damages and other sundry costs tallied and laid out and sent as a separate documents.

1 minute ago, ClassicCustoms said:

So, what I understood is that the charity event where the Billet prototype was auctioned off ended on July 30th, yet Billet wasn't notified about it until August 10th. They received no response to being reimbursed until after GN's video went up. Did Linus not know about it being auctioned off until the 10th? Also, the 10th was a Thursday. It is possible the weekend played into the lack of a response, but I don't know, this still looks really bad IMO. 

the silence is deafening isn't it..

1 hour ago, VisibleXela said:

Steve still should have come to Linus in private before posting the video, that way they could resolve it quietly in private (by not paying back the prototype they stole).

Are you seriously this naive?

Billet wasn't contacted until after GN made the video public.

Don't try to tell me you believe LTT would've fixed this if the video wasn't made public.

Case: Lian Li O11-dynamic mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550 E-Gaming | Memory: 32Gb 3600Mhz G. SKILL Trident Z | PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum | Cooling: Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 | Case fans: Lian Li Unifans

Just now, smcoakley said:

I didn't see "takes it as a personal attack" in Linus' responses so far. I'm not saying that the responses are or are not sufficient, but that's not how I interpreted it. Though if he did take it as a personal attack, I would partially understand that; that would probably be a natural human response for anyone in his situation. He did rush out a statement, but IMO it kinda sounded like people wanted a rushed statement based on people's comments in this thread.

Quite frankly, I disagree. Let's pick out some wording in Linus' statement:

"To Steve, I expressed my disappointment that he didn't go through proper journalistic practices in creating this piece"
"We wear our imperfection on our sleeves in the interest of ensuring that we stay accountable to you. But it's sad and unfortunate when this transparency gets warped into a bad thing"
"With all of this in mind
, it saddens me how quickly the pitchforks were raised over this. It also comes across a touch hypocritical when some basic due diligence could have helped clarify much of it."

"Will the "It was a mistake (a bad one, but a mistake) and they're taking care of it" reality manage to have the same reach? Let's see if anyone actually wants to know what happened. I hope so, but it's been disheartening seeing how many people were willing to jump on us here. Believe it or not, I'm a real person and so is the rest of my team."

There was little done in Linus' statement to address the actual quality issues of the videos or how he planned to improve them, and a lot of language about how he felt hurt/sad/damaged.

Even this comment at Billet is a dig and misses the point:
Either way, I'm sorry I got the community's priorities mixed-up on this one, and that we didn't show the Billet in the best light. Our intention wasn't to hurt anyone. We wanted no one to buy it (because it's an egregious waste of money no matter what temps it runs at) and we wanted Billet to make something marketable (so they can, y'know, eat).

Billet selling this product is niche. There are people that will spend $500K on a sports car that goes 0.1s 0mph-60mph faster than a car half the price. Linus' conclusion could have been "yeah, it's marginally the coldest monoblock by a fraction of a degree, but at ~$800 USD it's not worth buying when much cheaper options are close", that would have been honest. Instead he tested it on a GPU it was never intended to be used on (intended for a 3090 Ti, put on a 4090 instead) and then when it performed like crap (70C load temps instead of 55C) dunked the product as both overpriced and ineffective. When this was pointed out, he refused to retest it over $100-$500 of production effort (per the WAN show, his statement) and that it "wouldn't make a difference" - despite having no objective proof of this.

I'm sorry, but I see Linus' reply as self-serving and an inability to take any criticism properly. The generic statements of I'm sorry/we try to do better are handwaving, dismissing the concerns rather than facing them.

I am so disappointed in Linus' reply. It seems like he reacted with emotions and did not look into the issues with his team before replying to get the facts and timelines straight, let alone pick up the phone and call Billet Labs to say a truthful 'Sorry'. Money alone is not a solution for selling/auctioning off their best prototype that they trusted your company with. This is just one of the issues. Please hire a PR firm, talk to your CEO, and talk with your team about each of the issues. You DO have quality issues. The community has been noticing.

21 hours ago, LinusTech said:

There won't be a big WAN Show segment about this or anything. Most of what I have to say, I've already said, and I've done so privately.

To Steve, I expressed my disappointment that he didn't go through proper journalistic practices in creating this piece. He has my email and number (along with numerous other members of our team) and could have asked me for context that may have proven to be valuable (like the fact that we didn't 'sell' the monoblock, but rather auctioned it for charity due to a miscommunication... AND the fact that while we haven't sent payment yet, we have already agreed to compensate Billet Labs for the cost of their prototype). There are other issues, but I've told him that I won't be drawn into a public sniping match over this and that I'll be continuing to move forward in good faith as part of 'Team Media'. When/if he's ready to do so again I'll be ready.

To my team (and my CEO's team, but realistically I was at the helm for all of these errors, so I need to own it), I stressed the importance of diligence in our work because there are so many eyes on us. We are going through some growing pains - we've been very public about them in the interest of transparency - and it's clear we have some work to do on internal processes and communication. We have already been doing a lot of work internally to clean up our processes, but these things take time. Rome wasn't built in a day, but that's no excuse for sloppiness.

Now, for my community, all I can say is the same things I always say. We know that we're not perfect. We wear our imperfection on our sleeves in the interest of ensuring that we stay accountable to you. But it's sad and unfortunate when this transparency gets warped into a bad thing. The Labs team is hard at work hard creating processes and tools to generate data that will benefit all consumers - a work in progress that is very much not done and that we've communicated needs to be treated as such. Do we have notes under some videos? Yes. Is it because we are striving for transparency/improvement? Yeah... What we're doing hasn't been in many years, if ever.. and we would make a much larger correction if the circumstances merited it. Listing the wrong amount of cache on a table for a CPU review is sloppy, but given that our conclusions are drawn based on our testing, not the spec sheet, it doesn't materially change the recommendation. That doesn't mean these things don't matter. We've set KPIs for our writing/labs team around accuracy, and we are continually installing new checks and balances to ensure that things continue to get better. If you haven't seen the improvement, frankly I wonder if you're really looking for it... The thoroughness that we managed on our last handful of GPU videos is getting really incredible given the limited time we have for these embargoes. I'm REALLY excited about what the future will hold.

With all of that said, I still disagree that the Billet Labs video (not the situation with the return, which I've already addressed above) is an 'accuracy' issue. It's more like I just read the room wrong. We COULD have re-tested it with perfect accuracy, but to do so PROPERLY - accounting for which cases it could be installed in (none) and which radiators it would be plumbed with (again... mystery) would have been impossible... and also didn't affect the conclusion of the video... OR SO I THOUGHT...

I wanted to evaluate it as a product, and as a product, IF it could manage to compete with the temperatures of the highest end blocks on the planet, it still wouldn't make sense to buy... so from my point of view, re-testing it and finding out that yes, it did in fact run cooler made no difference to the conclusion, so it didn't really make a difference.

Adam and I were talking about this today. He advocated for re-testing it regardless of how non-viable it was as a product at the time and I think he expressed really well today why it mattered. It was like making a video about a supercar. It doesn't mater if no one watching will buy it. They just wanna see it rip.  I missed that, but it wasn't because I didn't care about the consumer.. it was because I was so focused on how this product impacted a potential buyer. Either way, clearly my bad, but my intention was never to harm Billet Labs. I specifically called out their incredible machining skills because I wanted to see them create something with a viable market for it and was hoping others would appreciate the fineness of the craftsmanship even if the product was impractical. I still hope they move forward building something else because they obviously have talent and I've watched countless niche water cooling vendors come and go. It's an astonishingly unforgiving market.

Either way, I'm sorry I got the community's priorities mixed-up on this one, and that we didn't show the Billet in the best light. Our intention wasn't to hurt anyone. We wanted no one to buy it (because it's an egregious waste of money no matter what temps it runs at) and we wanted Billet to make something marketable (so they can, y'know, eat).

With all of this in mind, it saddens me how quickly the pitchforks were raised over this. It also comes across a touch hypocritical when some basic due diligence could have helped clarify much of it. I have a LONG history of meeting issues head on and I've never been afraid to answer questions, which lands me in hot water regularly, but helps keep me in tune with my peers and with the community. The only reason I can think of not to ask me is because my honest response might be inconvenient. 

We can test that... with this post. Will the "It was a mistake (a bad one, but a mistake) and they're taking care of it" reality manage to have the same reach? Let's see if anyone actually wants to know what happened. I hope so, but it's been disheartening seeing how many people were willing to jump on us here. Believe it or not, I'm a real person and so is the rest of my team. We are trying our best, and if what we were doing was easy, everyone would do it. Today sucks.

Thanks for reading this.

Really such a disappointing response here, I am hopeful that we get a proper thought out reponse that really addresses the issues and talks about what you are going to do to fix the mistakes and what you guys are going to do to prevent them in the future. (I am clearly not saying that misakes dont happen but we need to see a proper process to mitigate them going forward).

2 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

A lot of people are missing this: sometimes how your report something matters more than to the why. that is part of journalistic integrity and that is a point I think Steve has missed it. Doesn't matter if you're right if you look like a douchebag while reporting on it

That is an absolutely moronic statement.  This isn't someone dunking on someone for making a mistake, where you'd say hey man, you could have done that nicer.  This is Linus outright lying in a response to a video that calls his ethics into question.  His first reaction was to lie about handling the Billet Labs situation which they didn't until GN posted the video.  They ghosted Billet Labs before GN got involved.  They sold their property without permission and made 0 effort to rectify the situation until someone else called them out, and you are here talking about what's important is how GN delivered the news of an action that could have destroyed a small company. 

Holy god the way you're running defense for Linus makes me think you must be related to him or someone close to him.   This is the companies response.

https://old.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15rxni4/our_public_statement_regarding_ltt/

27 minutes ago, jooroth18 said:

Luke is an introvert, first and forrmost. You have to understand that. Luke disagrees with linus, and is sometimes vocal about it, but sometimes fails to mention it, weather be because wan show is 3 hrs long and he forgets, or other reasons. Its hard to go through what goes on in peoples thought process, but part of it is definately to not argue too much.

Yeah this is a good point, Luke does seem introverted, he's also more calm and thinks before he speaks, on the other hand Linus says things regardless if people disagree with him or not.

Sometimes letting things go is the better approach that is true, its a matter of agree to disagree.

19 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

That's pretty much the thing. Linus wants Luke there because he knows Luke will have his back even if Luke was to disagree with him. Luke also won't go and deal the low blows to Linus because they know each other, like Luke won't pressure Linus over that he contacted Billet Labs only after the GN video went live and just before posting his response like he would have had the whole thing "done right" a week ago because that would most likely push Linus over the edge.

@Legitsu This is also exactly why GN probably didn't ask Linus for input before going public, Linus would have instantly, before even answering Steve, contacted his lawyer and Billet Labs to make it seem like LMG didn't fuck up as badly as they did. Was it against good journalistic ways? Kind of, you should reach out for input before going public but in cases where the party invovled will go and try to undermine not only your news piece but do shitty things generally, it is a rule that can be broken.

Exactly, and i'm sure a lot of the long time fans like Luke, even if he disagrees he's still there to back up Linus on the show. They might be friends off camera and can brush aside the business disagreements. Also, Luke manages Floatplane, not sure if he does other work at LMG, if not then LUke might not have known about it before.

And for GN asking for input first, given the reaction from Linus on this topic, I can see why GN went ahead and made the video without any contacting LMG, as Linus would've denied doing anything wrong and would've doubled down on their decisions.

1 minute ago, Leksi T said:

It's tough.  Is kinda why I was more than just hinting that Linus should stop posting last night.  I have little doubt that yesterday he probably lacked info or even that he people around him had enough time to dig into this.  I understand that Linus has a huge amount of faith in his team, and I can understand him wanting to get in front of this and defend himself and his team.  However, I wonder if he was more than just a little panicky yesterday, and in this case, I could have understood him taking some time to prepare something.  I don't mean, like, PR style say alot of words but say nothing.  But, go back to his team, do some digging internally, and then have something solid to say.

On the other hand, I know it's GN's style to keep the pressure on, but this new vid... It's very difficult to see this as more than an attack now, despite good points Steve may have raised.  I can only imagine that this type of barrage is only going to make it alot harder for LMG to say anything publicly. At this point if I was leading LMG I'd be very tempted to hire PR writers and turtle up.  Which would destroy LMG, in a few ways.  And it's not good for the space to lose LMG. It doesn't feel like there's any warning shots from GN here. They're straight up hitting them where it hurts, and they're not letting up.

this is on Linus, clearly throwing the employees under the bus is not right, it's on him to check the facts before he himself posting stuff. Trust on the employees or not is irrelevant. Even more so when we can clearly see the employees are afraid to tell them the truth, even Luke.

6 minutes ago, joaopt said:

his strategy was clearly to ignore it until it went away. That and lie is way out of it apparently

And post his reply on one of his social media platforms he knows gets the least amount of traffic instead of doing a YouTube video which he knows will blow up.

8 minutes ago, Magnus33 said:

First off Linus is not lying [...]

Yes he is. He deliberately suggested (without outright stating it perhaps, but clearly intending it to be understood this way) that the makers of the waterblock in question where compensated before GN even posted their video. This did not happen. Call it a lie, call it gaslighting, that's semantics. It is entirely clear what this constitutes.

and Steve did not make a hit piece.

Here I agree.

Have mistakes been made at Ltt yes and Linus himself admits this.

Yes, you might say that, although certainly not in an appropriate way, when we are talking about the response he gave in this thread.

Steve didn't make the video with anything that wasn't public knowledge already and he did so in a way that pointed out failing at Ltt that have been happening for to long.

Were it goers off the rails is with Linus response which is frankly badly thought through and half assed at best.

Absolutely. If you see it that way, too, I don't quite understand where the "Linus is not lying" part fits in.

Gn/Steve did what they should have done and clearly needed to be done.

Given this was already all public and made worse but the employees comments there was no dealing with behind closed doors and private channels which should have been very obvious to Linus.

Then there was the kind of taking responsibility and kind of not along with no real apologies we seen for other companies of late.

This should have been addressed head on in the public were it belonged were the damage had been done.

Yes Linus didn't mean harm for the company that made the cooler which he did try and explain but he didn't do it publicly where the video was and the damage had already been done.

When the mistakes are in the public videos for all to see you don't chat privately or post messages in forums you address them in video in the public.

It leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths and sends the wrong message to people watching the videos.

The intent wasn't to cause harm certainly but the execution certainly did to both you and them.   Lord knows other tech channels covering this are trying to point out to Linus and Ltt which hopefully is taken to heart.

The real issue does not lie with the waterblock video in my opinion (although everyone has to decide for themselves in how far not intending harm and still causing it after the fact, despite of multiple opportunities for self-reflection is better than outright intent). It is more about structural problems and how Linus decided to handle them being criticized between yesterday and today. The way he did reflects extremely negatively on him. I am honestly not sure whether that damage to his image is all that easily repaired.

Hell we all make mistakes and we at times say dumb things (should talk to my better half she tell you stories   lol). But we can also own up to them and fix them which is part of being human.

Hopefully  this is what happens and bridges get mended back to better then they were before.

Yes, I sincerely hope his next response comes out genuinely and well thought through. I also hope that the video in question will not be highly edited. Content creator or not, a genuine apology does not need jumpcuts or something.

Seriously though people there were no hit pieces and Linus wasn't lying so lets stop going there and turning this into something its not

And here we go again with the "Linus was not lying" statement. I am genuinely interested: After watching the 2nd GN video, which I will assume you have done, how can this conclusion be drawn?

1 minute ago, Symion said:

At this point you are bending over backwards (and forwards frankly) to defend the indefensible. Linus said that Billet gave them a "quote" for the prototype and that both parties were settled. E-mailing someone about the approximate value of a thing is not and would never be honestly called a "quote". I know this because I sell electronics and real quotes have things like cost of shipping, tax, in this case damages and other sundry costs tallied and laid out and sent as a separate documents.

Oh, I'm not defending shit.

If Linus actually did say "no, we reached out beforehand, we contacted them 2 weeks before LTX and they ghosted us" then cool, that's actually something. That's two different timelines to disagree with, now we have competing narratives where only one person can be right.

That's not what's happening. GN and Billet are openly talking about what the timeline actually is, while Linus tries to weasel his way out of taking responsibility without outright challenging the narrative or positioning an alternative one.

The comment I responded to, regarding the "two different timelines?" Yeah, Linus probably wishes there actually were two different timelines, that would be way better for him.

At least a part of why there's still growing pains and internal disorganization, is how desperate LMG is to continue to grow and pump out content even faster, despite them already being a massive company working over their heads. I still remember once upon a time, Linus was ecstatic just to have his own channel and independent audience, rather than presenting out of the NCIX backroom. I left years ago when all the LTT content started becoming clickbaity titles and thumbnails, had no idea things have gotten this bad. 

"Rawr XD"

Just now, LinusTechLies said:

And post his reply on one of his social media platforms he knows gets the least amount of traffic instead of doing a YouTube video which he knows will blow up.

and has the most amount of shills to be on his side.

4 minutes ago, harls said:

I am not playing D for anyone.  I have repeatedly said LMG clearly fucked up and need to make things right with Billet.  They also need to fix their reviews to lessen the errors.   That does not mean Linus saying "the fact that while we haven't sent payment yet, we have already agreed to compensate Billet Labs for the cost of their prototype"  can only mean that Linus agreed to a dollar amount with Billet Labs prior to the posting of GN video.  

Well according to Billet labs, You are wrong.

GN has already covered this and Linus sent Billet labs an email after GN 1st video stating they agree to compensate them for their prototype. 

Unless you are going to make the argument that Billet labs are lying but than you would definitely have to prove that.  

Quit playing D for someone who screwed over a small business because they couldn't be bothered to pay an employee another $500 to correctly do a review. 

Long time lurker, first time wader here ...

One thing about this water block situation which a LOT of people on here seem to be jumping to conclusions about is that Steve came with EVIDENCE ... no, what he came to this with is a STATEMENT from one of the two parties which is in this dispute.  Within his own video Steve even points out that any STATEMENT from LTT from this point should be basically ignored because it will effectively just be a PR massaged piece of cover up.  But who's to say that what Billet labs has put forth is to be measured with any more value or weight?  In all of this, we as the pitchfork carrying public have not seen any actual EVIDENCE as to what occurred between LTT and Billet ... that evidence more than likely would be an actual email thread between the two parties.

And to be honest, we're likely NEVER going to see any kind of actual hard proof.  Even if we did how fast would either side of the mob point out that such proof was faked?  What either side REALLY meant in that thread?  That they KNEW what the sender was really thinking what they were feeling?  End of the day no one except for the two involved parties will actually know that.

So what are we doing instead?  Foisting all of these issues and problems onto one very large and very easy to target figurehead. 
Does Linus need to take some of the blame in this situation?  From his past hot takes to the quality of that water block video, sure he does need SOME of this heat.  However the amount of ire and pure speculation which is being directed at him?  We have no idea if he was involved in any of the communications with Billet labs.  We have no idea if he was involved in the selection of items for the silent auction.  It just seems, as some have pointed out, that this is merely a lightning rod for a pent up amount of hate to be directed to someone who has managed to have some measure of success.

I have issues with some of Steve's points in both videos.  Chief among them is calling on people's experience within the industry as a source of conflicting interests.  How else are you supposed to gain expertise in an industry unless you work for companies IN THE INDUSTRY!  Saying you're turning off monetization on a video does not excuse the fact that you are in the same industry as LTT and therefore right off the bat have some conflicts or your own.  At the same time I'm not going to be an apologist and let the LTT crew off the hook.  Clearly there are calls from within the company to switch the focus and quality of the content and as with most things in life, it's always going to be a work in progress.

But honestly people ... put down the pitchforks and torches and try and remember that these are human beings here.  On all sides.  Which means that they're fallible and emotional and likely not deserving of all of the nastiness which is being spewed at them.  I'm talking about Linus, LM staff, Steve AND Billet Labs.  This may be foolhardy on the net, but can't we all just chill the fuck out?