whta is VCR?

Goodmen9008
17 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Starting to wonder if these accounts are bots. \

VCR  = video cassette recorder ?

Same, same...

This is not even a question. It's shitpost IMO. Zero effort.
Had it at least been something more specific and harder to find the answer for, that would've been fine.

But asking what a VCR is... Do they think we, the users of this forum, are Google or ChatGPT or something?

It's not even funny as a joke.

Here you go OP. This is what a VCR is🤦‍♂️ 

Added bonus of HOW a VCR worked, too.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

A VCR is a Video Cassette Recorder. They recorded video onto cassettes filled with magnetic tape. They don't necessarily have to work with JVC's VHS standard, they could've been Sony Beta, or Sony U-Matic if you go way back.

You kids these days are more likely to call them "VHS players". Don't worry, we'll be here to remind you how wrong that is for at least a few more decades. 😛 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Film is analog so it doesn't have a resolution. You can then scan it at whatever resolution you want, but that doesn't necessarily translate to better quality. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

36 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Film is analog so it doesn't have a resolution. You can then scan it at whatever resolution you want, but that doesn't necessarily translate to better quality. 

It has a resolution, just not as neat and tidy as a digital resolution. Svhs recorded 400 vertical lines. Far from the 2160 that 4K uses.

9 hours ago, FloRolf said:

As noted by @Blue4130, this isn't really correct. Analog video does have a "resolution", but it's measured in scan lines (how many lines from top to bottom make up the frame). Regular VHS has 250 scan lines, and Super VHS has 400 scan lines. This is almost getting close to DVD quality.

@Goodmen9008 no, Super VHS isn't anywhere close to 4K in terms of quality or resolution. It's not even as good as regular DVD, let alone FHD (1080p) or 4K (2160p).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As noted by @Blue4130, this isn't really correct. Analog video does have a "resolution", but it's measured in scan lines (how many lines from top to bottom make up the frame). Regular VHS has 250 scan lines, and Super VHS has 400 scan lines. This is almost getting close to DVD quality.

@Goodmen9008 no, Super VHS isn't anywhere close to 4K in terms of quality or resolution. It's not even as good as regular DVD, let alone FHD (1080p) or 4K (2160p).

Don't even get me started on interlaced vs progressive. 😉 that complicates things even further.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:45 PM, FloRolf said:

OP is asking about VHS not film.

2 minutes ago, Goodmen9008 said:

What Is A EX Mean?

I think it means that they used to be rental tapes. 

Just now, billorwill said:

I think it means that they used to be rental tapes. 

I mean like This?

image.thumb.jpeg.a4e5f06037072dc56c6d6e702383da03.jpeg

From what I remember on VHS, it had SP (standard play) and LP (long play). Maybe this EX thing is some marketing jargon for that on this specific brand?

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

20 hours ago, Goodmen9008 said:

What Is A EX Mean?

Doesn't mean anything.

Your typical blank video tape is a T-120 , which means "120 minutes in SP (standard play)", Which also means LP (Long Play, 4HR) and EP (Extended Play, 6 hour)

You can get tapes in shorter or longer run time, but usually the longer run time ones have thinner tape and thus they are likely to snap when rewound. This is why you almost never see any tapes longer than T-120. Tapes were available up to T-240.

When you switch modes on the VCR, usually LP and EP result in half and a third of the resolution. So in digital terms, SP is 240p (really 200 lines) and LP and EP would become fuzzier as it would approach 160p in fuzziness.

Most any other thing you see on a VHS tape is simply marketing. Here's the important detail.... None of it matters except for the life of a recorded video, and you wear out the video tape with every play. So generally these marketing things were for specific use cases. For the most part you can ignore all of it if you only intend to use it once.

Quality

Its Maxell specific

They had like HGX, GX, EX, VX, Standard, High, I'm sure a few others.
standard would be like ferros oxides, higher grades chrome oxides.
I imagine initially, that the EX name is derived from epitaxial, where it lives in their product stack, when and how much it degrades vs others I do no know. A product guide from maxell at the time would give better clues. 

Looking around Maxell later made EX stand for whatever, from Extended Relability, to extra performance. 

My best bet is it means "extended".

Was reading the wiki page and a few other pages on VHS and seems like there was a competition between betamax and VHS. Betamax had 90 minutes while VHS could be extended to 120minutes.

5 minutes ago, SnugglyGirl said:

My best bet is it means "extended".

Was reading the wiki page and a few other pages on VHS and seems like there was a competition between betamax and VHS. Betamax had 90 minutes while VHS could be extended to 120minutes.

EX exists for many tape lengths, EX has nothing to do with length. the 120 is the length. Tapes can be run in SP/LP/EP in general, that's a player issue, not tape issue. 

2 minutes ago, starsmine said:

EX exists for many tape lengths, EX has nothing to do with length. the 120 is the length. Tapes can be run in SP/LP/EP in general, that's a player issue, not tape issue. 

Oh ok that makes more sense. Thank you for that.

According to wikipedia. Yes.

But some might says that could be "240i"... rather "240p" (which obviously for analog is quite improper as definition)

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

Rember there are 2 kinds of VHS:  VHS and SVHS.

But yes, VHS is effectively 320x240 resolution.