Sony’s Project Q handheld is running, Android?

Summary

A leaked video posted on Twitter (via Reddit & Imgur) has shown a basic version of the console with a very simple interface. This may not be the final product, but a good look at what is operating this device.

Quotes

At least one of our questions about the Sony Project Q handheld game-streaming device has seemingly been answered by a new leaked video posted by Zuby_Tech on Twitter (via Reddit / Imgur). In it, a basic version of Android OS running on a plastic-wrapped device shows a simple menu system and a QR code. It’s very doubtful this is what the final version of the handheld’s menu will look like, but it gives us an idea what’s running under the hood, at least.

My thoughts

(take this article with a small grain of salt)

Android? I expected Sony to make their own operating system. Of course, not a complete new system, but like a dumbed-down PS5 operating system. I do believe this being powered by Android may be a big possibility for 3rd-party games. This is shaping to be a better competitor to the Steam Deck. If Sony does it right, this can run Android games. More choices that Steam for sure.

Sources

the verge

Edited by ebprince the computer nerd
added the tweet of the Q

how are you doing today

I mean they tried to make this thing so I guess it wouldn’t be too far off to view project Q as a spiritual successor of that. Plus it also makes sense to use android if you’re using a smartphone soc anyway. It would be kinda funny to me if they just have regular open Android on it so you could install anything from the google play store, including steam link

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

26 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Android? I expected Sony to make their own operating system. Of course, not a complete new system, but like a dumbed-down PS5 operating system.

playstation has been running BSD (that's what the playstation's operating system is based on) ever since playstations have had an operating system. 

it's actually quite in character for sony to base themselves on what is already a proven platform, so they can focus on the stuff that actually matters.

having that said - the images are unmistakingly a PS5 controller cut in half and taped to either side of a small tablet.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

having that said - the images are unmistakingly a PS5 controller cut in half and taped to either side of a small tablet.

Yeah, they could’ve made it look a little more unique, but Sony isn’t really known for that, especially with handheld consoles. Think of the PSP and the VITA, they are identical. Yeah, the VITA is the successor, but the Q is from the same generation of the PS5, so I guess it should look somewhat like the PS5.

how are you doing today

Since it's basicall only decoding incoming streams, i wouldn't expect it to have a powerful SOC, so i HIGHLY doubt this is a competitor to the Steam deck.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.