how long should the pump be off?

so i just had a question about custom water cooling loops. cpu/gpu, how long can you leave a system off? or should the pump at least be on?

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Anecdotal, but I used to have a gaming rig that had sat unused for literal years with water in it. Still ran fine. @Whiskers do you know if it stil works now? 🙂

For a more general statement: I think your answer here depends on a LOT of different factors. Off the top of my head: pump type, coolant type, additives. Evaporation rate probably matters too, as that will increase the relative amount of contaminants in the loop.

3 minutes ago, MG2R said:

Anecdotal, but I used to have a gaming rig that had sat unused for literal years with water in it. Still ran fine. @Whiskers do you know if it stil works now? 🙂

For a more general statement: I think your answer here depends on a LOT of different factors. Off the top of my head: pump type, coolant type, additives. Evaporation rate probably matters too, as that will increase the relative amount of contaminants in the loop.

hmm well it will be just distled water and some additive. dont no what that is atm and most likely will change per system.

i like water cooling and was thinking on building pcs but pcs i might not run all the time. maybe its passably to add a ps to the pump with maybe a on/off switch. i think also long as the atx psu green wire to ground the psu turns on maybe i can hook that to a toggle switch so one will be just the pump and one will be the full system

if i just need to run it like 5 minuts like once a moth or something might not be a problem i guess

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

As long as it's plain distilled water you should be fine as long as the system is stored in an appropriate environment with relatively consistent temperatures and humidity levels (aka not in the shed in the back yard but rather a closet).

My question is why even bother to build a water cooled system compared to an air cooled one at the point where this question is even warranted?

8 minutes ago, 10leej said:

As long as it's plain distilled water you should be fine as long as the system is stored in an appropriate environment with relatively consistent temperatures and humidity levels (aka not in the shed in the back yard but rather a closet).

My question is why even bother to build a water cooled system compared to an air cooled one at the point where this question is even warranted?

just like building pcs and water cool them that is all. other pcs i might build and water cool but might not get used all the time. w98 pc, wxp pc, tv pc, posably offline pc, my main pc w7 and gaming w10 will be water cooled. dont think ill wc my off line storage pc.

yes i could air cool them but what fun is that...