AMD rumored to slash rx 7600 prices ahead of launch - Confirmed according to the reporting

DeerDK
2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Used 30/600 series FTW.  Again….  Looks like if I replace my card it’s going to be with intel.

I wonder if Nvidia is avoiding competition with the used/old stock market, so as to deplete it faster? That’s what is feels like. If the next gen knocks it out of the park (probably all it will take is shifting product lines, for example, 4060 TI to 5050), that will culminate in a monster of a payday if the used market is depleted as well.

While AMD is trying to straddle the line of offering something, but is also seemingly wanting to deplete old stock as well. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

Was the $299 price ever previously confirmed by AMD or was that figure based on rumours?

Retailers MLID talked to confirmed the pricing. Retailers were told $299.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

The $299 price rumour was just based on what MLID said?

So the options are:

A) MLID's rumours were correct. It was $299. AMD worried the RX 7600 wouldn't be able to compete against the RTX 4060 on performance or features and reduced the price to remain competitive.

Or saw the backlash from the 4060Ti and decided to reduce the price to the minimum they'd accept.

B)  They dropped the price because they're the good guy.

Literally not possible. There's no such thing as a good guy when they're a publicly traded company

C) MLID made up the $299 price and was wrong. Now that the actual price has been released he's been exposed as being wrong again but instead of admitting he made it up he's going to come out claiming that they changed the price and that option A or B is true.

Everybody

D) It really is $299 and the latest rumour saying it's $269 is wrong. 

🤷‍♂️ None of them are particularly great options and it's not like we'd ever really know the truth. This is why I pretty much ignore all rumours and "leaks". If you want to believe that AMD desperately changed the price just before release, cool. If you want to believe that MLID and other "leakers" are full of shit, cool.

Changing the MSRP the day before launch, while not unheard of, is pretty bad for the board partners if they were planning on getting a certain margin and then the MSRP gets slashed by $30. Either they have to keep their higher prices and look like the bad guy charging more than MSRP or they cut their prices and potentially take a loss. Uncertainties like that is why EVGA left the GPU market.

Nobody said the board partners weren't in on the actually planned price.

MLID's retail sources thought AMD was playing coy about the $299 price and thought AMD could drop it to $269 if they wanted to. Turns out AMD did want to and so they did.

snip

MLID was right 😛.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I wonder if Nvidia is avoiding competition with the used/old stock market, so as to deplete it faster? That’s what is feels like. If the next gen knocks it out of the park (probably all it will take is shifting product lines, for example, 4060 TI to 5050), that will culminate in a monster of a payday if the used market is depleted as well.

While AMD is trying to straddle the line of offering something, but is also seemingly wanting to deplete old stock as well. 

This assumes they can change prices though.  AMD has a history of doing this but Nvidia doesn’t. If Nvidia wants to change prices they come out with a super or a ko or something.  I was sort of expecting AMD to do that with their 6400.  A 6450 or something the only difference being adequate pcie lanes. That or do an a series board that could do pcie4 so an a series board could actually get non crippled performance out of a 6400.  Deliberately crippling cards seems to be a thing for manufacturers these days though.  Starting to feel like that old book cool cash war with the elaborate coupons that are impossible to actually redeem.  I personally take similarities  of the economy to the economy of that book to be signs that something is deeply diseased.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

oh wait, nobody said they dropped the price on their previous generation GPUs too?

damn, thats a good value, maybe that's why I have seen the 6950 priced so low recently (less than the 6900 etc).