How to turn my skill into money/ a business?

Shy Devil

Little Backstory

Hey i've been programming for about 7 years now and i've been trying to find a way to actually make money or open a business using my skills.

Over the years i've learned programming as a hobby via YouTube and im doing stuff like C# Desktop Applications, NodeJS Applications, Web Applications all that sweet stuff. Im also a electricial engineer and now a automation engineer, and combined with the programming skills i believe this is a extremely cool combo.

I've made libraries for the robots at work to extend the programming language and make it easier, i've developed custom applications with cameras for automated quality control and other projects. Im also doing a lot of personal, hobby projects.

TLDR

So i wonder how i could turn my skills into a business so i can make money as i want to buy a house and need a new car etc. The company im working at pays minimum wage and its not really nice there. I thought of maybe doing a programming job in another company but 1. im kinda afraid i cant do it (for a unkown reason lol) and 2. they all require a degree or smth and dont care about anything someone has done which sucks really bad. Im a "certified" (dont know proper term) electricial engineer and automation engineer i just dont have a computer degree or something.

Just get a better ordinary job. 

I knew someone in high school that was, at age 16, making around 3x minimum wage by coding. High school kid. 

If you're worried about knowing what to do, learn some CI/CD stuff, learn how to do code check ins and learn how to write clean, readable code (look up PEP8 or similar). 
https://peps.python.org/pep-0008/

You can always hustle for other gigs later on. Get actual experience working with other people and learn from them, even if it's only for 1-3 years. 

----

For what it's worth I met a guy who worked at Google who didn't have a college degree. He was definitely insecure about it. Most people had bachelors and masters degrees from elite universities. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

17 minutes ago, Shy Devil said:

Little Backstory

Hey i've been programming for about 7 years now and i've been trying to find a way to actually make money or open a business using my skills.

Over the years i've learned programming as a hobby via YouTube and im doing stuff like C# Desktop Applications, NodeJS Applications, Web Applications all that sweet stuff. Im also a electricial engineer and now a automation engineer, and combined with the programming skills i believe this is a extremely cool combo.

I've made libraries for the robots at work to extend the programming language and make it easier, i've developed custom applications with cameras for automated quality control and other projects. Im also doing a lot of personal, hobby projects.

TLDR

So i wonder how i could turn my skills into a business so i can make money as i want to buy a house and need a new car etc. The company im working at pays minimum wage and its not really nice there. I thought of maybe doing a programming job in another company but 1. im kinda afraid i cant do it (for a unkown reason lol) and 2. they all require a degree or smth and dont care about anything someone has done which sucks really bad. Im a "certified" (dont know proper term) electricial engineer and automation engineer i just dont have a computer degree or something.

Don't need a degree to make it in the technology world. Its primarily based on experience and certifications, where most reasonable places will value experience over degrees and certifications. Some places have minimum requirements for such so you might be forced to at least meet that, but demonstrating capabilities through your own projects is the way to win their favor.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

If you think a degree is holding you back, consider getting one if your country will give you the funding for it.

If you want to buy a house on your own and you don't have family assistance in downpayments etc, then you're really going to need something better than a minimum wage job.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, Shy Devil said:

im kinda afraid i cant do it

Welcome to Imposter Syndrome, it's lying.

21 minutes ago, Shy Devil said:

company im working at pays minimum wage

Leave ASAP. Get an entry level coding job. In the US it should pay minimum 50k/yr and they should teach you everything you need to know. 

22 minutes ago, Shy Devil said:

Im a "certified" (dont know proper term) electricial engineer

To be clear, do you have *any* degree? Like a bachelors in EE or something? Often times HR likes to see a degree in something and most programming managers don't care one whit about education and instead look at ability. 

I'd highly recommend reaching out to some recruiters, I've found them to be helpful

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

23 minutes ago, cmndr said:

Just get a better ordinary job. 

I knew someone in high school that was, at age 16, making around 3x minimum wage by coding. High school kid. 

If you're worried about knowing what to do, learn some CI/CD stuff, learn how to do code check ins and learn how to write clean, readable code (look up PEP8 or similar). 
https://peps.python.org/pep-0008/

You can always hustle for other gigs later on. Get actual experience working with other people and learn from them, even if it's only for 1-3 years. 

----

For what it's worth I met a guy who worked at Google who didn't have a college degree. He was definitely insecure about it. Most people had bachelors and masters degrees from elite universities. 

The past year or two i was making research and trying things out how to best document and write good code that looks clean. 

Get actual experience working with other people and learn from them, even if it's only for 1-3 years.

You know the "get experience working with other people" is really amazing. Like i said im kinda afraid and i've always been shy so this like a really good advice to go out and get experience with others and that field. I love it. Thank you

24 minutes ago, Agall said:

Don't need a degree to make it in the technology world. Its primarily based on experience and certifications, where most reasonable places will value experience over degrees and certifications. Some places have minimum requirements for such so you might be forced to at least meet that, but demonstrating capabilities through your own projects is the way to win their favor.

idk austrian companies seem so weird. i finished my 4 year apprenticeship in march and before that i wanted to get into an it job, tho in order to be accepted as apprentice you'd need to do "technical high school" or smth that will take 4 years, giving you the same result soo.. its so stupid here.

I have a really good aka future proof degree tho its just not e.g. computer science but electrical engineering with automation etc where programming is kinda actually included in a small scale but maybe that works for them too i never tried it so far.

Rn im at a die casting automotive company as automation engineer and due to my skills in programming i made a few highly custom solutions for quality control and im being paid about 31k a year where average should be 40k apparently ._. 

Full warning - I'm from the US. YMMV if your country is different. 

Doing independent consulting is probably more "people heavy" than working in a technical role. 

Your higher ups mostly take care of the politics for you. If you're a sole proprietor, you're doing marketing and politics yourself. 

DO get good at interviewing though. This is what I suggest

1. Adapt the advice here to your situation - https://mergersandinquisitions.com/free-investment-banking-resume-template/

2. Get a set of good eyes to critique the heck out of your resume and make specific suggestions for rewrites (tip, it'll often be "be more specific and why does this matter?")

3. For each bullet, on a separate sheet for your own preparation, write a paragraph outlining who/what/where/why/when/how/how-much/lessons-learned. Getting review on these is also useful (be SPECIFIC, be concise)
4. Amazon leadership principles sample questions are good for behavioral questions (find sample questions). Leetcode/hacker rank is good for technicals. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

26 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to Imposter Syndrome, it's lying.

I've heard of the Imposter Syndrome before, it sounds really interesting and kinda fits :c

Leave ASAP. Get an entry level coding job. In the US it should pay minimum 50k/yr and they should teach you everything you need to know. 

So the funny thing is that the company im currently working at employed me as a automation engineer, means i get to program robots to do specific stuff. And even in that im underpaid. I get about 31k/year and the average is apparently 40k/year. i'd really love to switch as the environment is really bad and dangerous too but well as of right now until i find something better it is what it is.

To be clear, do you have *any* degree? Like a bachelors in EE or something? Often times HR likes to see a degree in something and most programming managers don't care one whit about education and instead look at ability. 

I have the normal high school degree as well as a Electricial Engineering Degree + Automation Engineer (its combined).

I've recreated a few products we use at the company (aluminum die casting) and made my own can press yesterday, when it comes to hobbies i've made a blender render load balancer so you can render stuff with friends faster and a chat app and other stuff.

I tied a lot of things to see if it could be turned into a business. from hosting and renting servers to customers, to managing servers for customers, to refurbishing server hardware, doing various programming jobs/gigs, doing a crypto *exchange* service (not investing, exchanging, really cool) and a lot of other stuff. 

Basically im experimenting what i could do to make some decent money to start a company at some point and fix my life firt tho.

2 hours ago, Shy Devil said:

idk austrian companies seem so weird. i finished my 4 year apprenticeship in march and before that i wanted to get into an it job, tho in order to be accepted as apprentice you'd need to do "technical high school" or smth that will take 4 years, giving you the same result soo.. its so stupid here.

I have a really good aka future proof degree tho its just not e.g. computer science but electrical engineering with automation etc where programming is kinda actually included in a small scale but maybe that works for them too i never tried it so far.

Rn im at a die casting automotive company as automation engineer and due to my skills in programming i made a few highly custom solutions for quality control and im being paid about 31k a year where average should be 40k apparently ._. 

Talk to your boss, a company will let you be content with less pay and usually the only person who will help argue that you should be paid more is yourself. I'm in the US, so labor laws and such are different, but regardless, if you believe you should be paid more, find a solid set of evidence why, and bring it to your boss.

It costs a lot to retrain people, especially with the fact that people will go through complete training programs then just leave. It costs the company a lot to do that, so they'd rather retain good workers by paying them more than having to gamble on another human. I started off in the military and am now a civilian and it still amazing me how short people will work at a place before just leaving, like they didn't think about it before hand. 

58 minutes ago, Agall said:

Talk to your boss, a company will let you be content with less pay and usually the only person who will help argue that you should be paid more is yourself. I'm in the US, so labor laws and such are different, but regardless, if you believe you should be paid more, find a solid set of evidence why, and bring it to your boss.

It costs a lot to retrain people, especially with the fact that people will go through complete training programs then just leave. It costs the company a lot to do that, so they'd rather retain good workers by paying them more than having to gamble on another human. I started off in the military and am now a civilian and it still amazing me how short people will work at a place before just leaving, like they didn't think about it before hand. 

it is not that simple. you need to research the labor market and the market rate. employer wont pay $20 an hour to keep you if they can hire someone who can do similar quality work for $15. it is all about supply and demand as well as good marketing. You have to treat salary negotiation as if you are a business trying to sell like say a hair cut or dog working services to some xyz customers. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

it is not that simple. you need to research the labor market and the market rate. employer wont pay $20 an hour to keep you if they can hire someone who can do similar quality work for $15. it is all about supply and demand as well as good marketing. You have to treat salary negotiation as if you are a business trying to sell like say a hair cut or dog working services to some xyz customers. 

That's where the "solid set of evidence why" part comes in.

18 hours ago, Shy Devil said:

You can get a job in any factory trying to automate their process with that automation engineer and programming skills.

Depend where you live I guess but here we have hard time finding people with that kind of experience.

2 hours ago, Franck said:

You can get a job in any factory trying to automate their process with that automation engineer and programming skills.

Depend where you live I guess but here we have hard time finding people with that kind of experience.

A lot of companies around the area are looking for people like me because there not a lot lately but everyone needs them. So if i were to get a new job it shouldnt be hard theoretically 

18 hours ago, Agall said:

Lately i was talking with a friend that was working in the IT department and he told me if i wanted to get more money i need to be somewhat annoying and constantly ask. thats how he was promoted etc and got more money too. 

I get the cost. A employer does not only pay the paycheck, they have to pay for insurance etc too. luckily the company im working for is a big world wide company so thats not the problem they're just trying to cheap out.

a lot of people in our company leave because its just so bad here. the management sucks so bad etc so thats why people leave. We have a lot of workers from a third party company and well they are not that certified so everyging keeps getting kinda back cauz we lack the like proper people with education.

You can apply to other jobs while working a job.

On 5/24/2023 at 8:26 AM, Shy Devil said:

Lately i was talking with a friend that was working in the IT department and he told me if i wanted to get more money i need to be somewhat annoying and constantly ask. thats how he was promoted etc and got more money too. 

I get the cost. A employer does not only pay the paycheck, they have to pay for insurance etc too. luckily the company im working for is a big world wide company so thats not the problem they're just trying to cheap out.

a lot of people in our company leave because its just so bad here. the management sucks so bad etc so thats why people leave. We have a lot of workers from a third party company and well they are not that certified so everyging keeps getting kinda back cauz we lack the like proper people with education.

Sounds like the company is dying. Might be best to start looking elsewhere as some people have suggested.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:38 PM, Shy Devil said:

they all require a degree or smth and dont care about anything someone has done

For software development this is usually not required realistically. No degrees or certificates but you have to have something to back your skills. Usually it's a link to your work (like Github repositories) or a bio of working for X+ years in the field. Junior devs without prior commercial experience pretty much have to focus on their showcase and constantly improve their skills. Note that there is way to may juniors so only the best get the jobs.

I would suggest going over local and remote job offers so you see what's in demand locally, what's required there and also what's available as remote work. Mostly will likely be webdev or something similar. If you are experienced with robotics/embedded stuff there can be work there, like with the Nvidia Jetson platform.

Some remote job offers as an example:

And they have other languages as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 7:38 PM, Shy Devil said:

Little Backstory

TLDR

Freelancing, an app for Microsoft Store, Fiverr - anything that'll provide a challenge from outside and, possibly, introduce you to more concepts and ideas. You can ask for the project requirements and try to do it without actually accepting the task.

There is approximately a 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

2 hours ago, Timme said:

Freelancing, an app for Microsoft Store, Fiverr - anything that'll provide a challenge from outside and, possibly, introduce you to more concepts and ideas. You can ask for the project requirements and try to do it without actually accepting the task.

I tried freelancing and a big problem with fiverr is that there are so many ridiculous offers from indian people mostly that would build you a entire datacenter for only 5€. its is extremely hard to compete with them without getting underpaid.

Hi! I do hiring in the company where I work right now, so here are some tips 🙂

Most of all, it depends on the country where you live, i.e. in the US there's a shrinkage of the market meanwhile in some European countries we're always looking.

With regards to companies all requiring college degrees, just degrease that info from your brain. If you can code, and you know how to code properly, you can get a job. Actually, the most talented software engineers I know don't have any college education. 

1. Set up a GitHub profile, upload some nice, well-formatted, projects you did on there, and explain them through the wikis. 
2. Rework your CV to be a one-pager where you express your passion for coding (I usually write mine and my friends' with rxresu.me )
3. Start applying for entry-level programming jobs and learn how the interview process is and what questions matter in your country: learn by failing. 

A tip from an entrepreneur: failure is not the end, is just a teacher 😉