[Mini] .ZIP becomes a TLD. Immediately used for Phishing, Data Leaks

rcmaehl

Summary

Google released a new TLD recently, .ZIP, which has immediately been used for phishing.

Media
microsoft phishing zip

Quotes

Google released .zip to the public recently. Cyber criminals are already using .zip domains in phishing campaigns. About 1230 names have been registered so far. The top level domain was approved in 2014 but it took Google until May 2023 to unlock it for public [use]. Google has reduced the registration price to $15 per year for a .zip... less than halve the previous price. The price drop appears to have increased interest for .zip domains, and some new registrations are already used in phishing campaigns. The .zip extension allows cyber criminals to run phishing campaigns that abuse the fact that .zip is a popular file extension and also a top level domain. Domains such as officeupdate.zip or microsoft-office.zip have already been used. Use in phishing campaigns is just one new option that cyber criminals have when it comes to .zip domains. Some applications may attach hyperlinks to ZIP file names now, which may lead to the firing of DNS queries and the leaking of information to the .zip domain. Another,,, new top level domains might cause similar issues. .mov is also available... and it too is also a file extension, albeit not as popular as .zip.

My thoughts

Well this seems like an absolutely idiotic move. I'm considering registering some common .zip file names just to see what kind of traffic I get. I'm just surprised that such a popular file extension was allowed to become a TLD. Sure, there's a lot of extensions that are probably already a TLD, but none this popular.

Sources

Ghacks (quote source)

Financialstatement.zip (currently ragging on Google)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I don't really see how this is any worse than the countless of other phishing sites that look similar to legitimate ones.

I don't think people are more or less likely to fall for a scam like this just because it ends in .zip.

It's a pretty funny/cool TLD however. 

1 minute ago, CarlBar said:

What the hell is TLD?

.com .org .net .gov .co.uk .zip .info

et al

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't really see how this is any worse than the countless of other phishing sites that look similar to legitimate ones.

I don't think people are more or less likely to fall for a scam like this just because it ends in .zip.

It's a pretty funny/cool TLD however. 

Problem is, .zip has been a common file extension for over 30 years. This could catch even experienced users (who are unaware of the new TLD) who would assume it's just a link to a file.

11 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

What the hell is TLD?

Top Level Domain, like .com, .net, .gov, .horse...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

What the hell is TLD?

Top Layer Domain. As in the www.linustechtips.com you basicly have three addresses (domains), www is under linustechtips which can be found from com.

I too don't see here anything more dangerous than we already have. Like it's already everyday thing to see "microsoft.com.jkfdhakh.xyz" domains trying to be presented as microsoft.com. Hell, they can be even longer and with dashes to really try to hide the actual domain beneath subdomains. Not to include using some real domain but redirecting it half way to somewhere else.

49 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Problem is, .zip has been a common file extension for over 30 years. This could catch even experienced users (who are unaware of the new TLD) who would assume it's just a link to a file.

I just don't really see how that makes it more susceptible to scams.

If we're talking about the links themselves then it doesn't matter, because we can change links to say whatever we want such as google.zip going to google.com.

If we are talking about people who already opened the link and look in their browser address field to try and decipher if it's a scam or not then I don't think microsoft-office.zip would tip them off more than microsoft-office.xyz would.

I don't think this will make a difference in terms of the amount of scams or how many fall for the scams. Hopefully I am not wrong but maybe we will see.

thought it was about extentions and maybe a bit like a crypto address. But I guess its more like those domains, like a ".com" etc.

But have never liked the "progression" of web URLs, be it redirects, tiny, or certain pages on a site will fall into other areas like .html or .co.uk (country or file specific) etc. how the f** would I know which one of them are real as an average user, and if it was a bad redirect?

the worst part if it got other parts of the system, like a real enough microsoft email, with this link, think it might could be a new thing / new process.
to me, most emails now is just an unsecure hell hole, and why I like to go to the site instead of through some wtf link to who knows where.

Popularize not using any site that isn't .com, .org, or .edu. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Or the country specific ones like .co.uk, .de, etc.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

18 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don't forget .gov! If anything, a .gov could be considered much more legitimate at a glance as it should be more involved to get registered to such a TLD.

Source: https://get.gov/registration/requirements/

Apparently .zip is going to become a new top level domain.  There's concerns that it could be used to facilitate attacks.   What does do you guys think about this situation? 

Additional reading: <link removed>

Edited by SansVarnic
Link removed

1 hour ago, Wireless G-Spot said:

Apparently .zip is going to become a new top level domain.  There's concerns that it could be used to facilitate attacks.   What does do you guys think about this situation? 

Additional reading: <removed>

Just be careful what you download...

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

1 hour ago, Wireless G-Spot said:

Additional reading: <removed>

Doesn't really change anything.

Probably biggest ones would be hiding hyperlink objects as Zip-files but at that moment you have way earlier steps in cybersecurity to patch up, like downloading files from unknown sources and having some malware already in your system that would change the icons of hyperlinks to zip-file icons.

But otherwise, nothing that cannot be done already or doesn't happen whenever new TLD is launched.
like already if you don't really read the link you are jumping in and don't notice the "www.microsoft.google.com.hgfioehfe.xyz" trap, having .zip-domain really doesn't make things any different.

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

Wouldn't it be pretty easy to just block .zip domains across the board on your firewall.

I can't imagine legitimate companies / sites using this. Honestly how many sites do you use that aren't .com or .org? I'll occasionally come across the rare .net, but honestly I could likely even block that and be fine. 

I didn't even bother to register other versions of my own my domain. 

-= Shortened Link Removed =-

Shortened links are not allowed, please post only full links.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Wouldn't it be pretty easy to just block .zip domains across the board on your firewall.

I can't imagine legitimate companies / sites using this. Honestly how many sites do you use that aren't .com or .org? I'll occasionally come across the rare .net, but honestly I could likely even block that and be fine. 

I didn't even bother to register other versions of my own my domain. 

I'm gonna need to find a guide to literally block all .zip on my pfSense box.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

6 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I'm gonna need to find a guide to literally block all .zip on my pfSense box.

I'm not to worried about it yet. It looks like it built into pfblockng. 

Based on this very old post. - I haven't logged into my box to see if those instructions still line up with newer versions at all yet.

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I'm not to worried about it yet. It looks like it built into pfblockng. 

Based on this very old post. - I haven't logged into my box to see if those instructions still line up with newer versions at all yet.

Eh I've seen some example of 'URLs that would trick users' and while I consider myself computer savvy, some of those I'd fall for at a glance.  Especially if say, searching for old abandonware PC titles from 'typical sorts of websites' for the sake of my retro PC gaming hobby.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

12 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Eh I've seen some example of 'URLs that would trick users' and while I consider myself computer savvy, some of those I'd fall for at a glance.  Especially if say, searching for old abandonware PC titles from 'typical sorts of websites' for the sake of my retro PC gaming hobby.

Yeah, especially online. I'd now have to verify if a .zip link on a form is to an attachment or to an external site

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Yeah, especially online. I'd now have to verify if a .zip link on a form is to an attachment or to an external site

If it's an attachment, it's always a file.

If it's a link, you can tell because it will open in your browser (which usually don't open .zip files), and it will be a domain name (www.test.zip) instead of an URI with a path in it (www.test.zip/test.zip).

But to the people who are worried about getting scammed, you shouldn't open strange links or download strange files anyway. This would only be an issue if you used to trust random .zip files someone sent you, which you shouldn't have done to begin with.