I Bought a Gaming PC from EPSON

TannerMcCoolman

Epson, that company that makes printers and scanners and projectors and GAMING PCS? Well, they might not in America, but over in Japan, Epson is a jack-of-all-trades company with tons of offerings. What does a Japanese Epson Gaming PC have in it? What sets it apart from the others? Is there even a market for an Epson PC?

*3 years from now* 

EPSON presents 

The GAMING PRINTER, now with 3x faster printing graphics and boost clocks of up to 5 pages per second!

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The RGB is out of cyan, contact support to turn on your PC!

edit:

I wrote this before I started watching... Linus literally just said the same joke and color... 😞 I mean, there are so many colors. Why did we say cyan?

shortest colour unless you actually call black key

30 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The RGB is out of cyan, contact support to turn on your PC!

And sometimes red and green lines show up on the display and you need to recalibrate, which takes about an hour.

linus: buys the lowest end configuration

also linus: pc parts are typically more expensive in japan

also linus: why does it come with a hard drive? 

what did you expect

She/Her

4 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

what did you expect

a ssd for the lowest end configuration.

imagine selling a harddrive lol

36 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

linus: buys the lowest end configuration

also linus: pc parts are typically more expensive in japan

also linus: why does it come with a hard drive? 

what did you expect

last time i checked (which was already a while back.. because career switch and stuff..)

none of HP's semi-pro offerings i've encountered (excluding pavilion and below) have a base spec with spinning rust anymore, because an mSata SSD is so cheap that you may as well just not have spinning rust in your product stack.

@13:34 Surprise cameo from the best character in the Linus Cinematic Universe!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

@13:34 Surprise cameo from the best character in the Linus Cinematic Universe!

so so so so true

Edited by Tomberry
i think i need to say so a few more times

This didn't surprise me I guess I am used to Japanese computers.

What I think is cool the PC's are like stuck in late 2000's and early 2010's.

The cool part they are super serviceable.

Mostly laptops I have been eyeing

I like the panasonic SV I want one, its like 12in has a optical drive and VGA still but has 11 gen intel.

https://panasonic.jp/cns/pc/products/sv2j/

Fujitsu Lifebooks also look super dope.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

17 minutes ago, sub68 said:

This didn't surprise me I guess I am used to Japanese computers.

What I think is cool the PC's are like stuck in late 2000's and early 2010's.

The cool part they are super serviceable.

Mostly laptops I have been eyeing

I like the panasonic SV I want one, its like 12in has a optical drive and VGA still but has 11 gen intel.

https://panasonic.jp/cns/pc/products/sv2j/

Fujitsu Lifebooks also look super dope.

Unfortunately the SVs have been getting harder to get. Seems like Panasonic might be discontinuing them. The Sony Vaio S15 does offer VGA and optical with a 12th gen CPU though. 

8 minutes ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

Unfortunately the SVs have been getting harder to get. Seems like Panasonic might be discontinuing them.

Yeah there newer models SR, I think getting more in favor

10 minutes ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

The Sony Vaio S15 does offer VGA and optical with a 12th gen CPU though. 

Yeah that what my head goes to when look for that type, also funfact sony isnt part of vaio know vaio split off of sony (lenovo thinkpads older are kinda same ish)

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

Yeah that what my head goes to when look for that type, also funfact sony isnt part of vaio know vaio split off of sony (lenovo thinkpads older are kinda same ish)

TIL. Shows how up-to-date I keep on these things lol. This is why I keep doing the videos on tech that's 5+ years old.

Are you sure it's PoziDriv fasteners in that system? I think japanese stuff uses JIS, but I could be wrong.
Mostly curse the PDs for driving me insane while trying to build IKEA furniture with a Philips driver 😄

Also, with regards to these computers, the build reminds me of stuff I've seen on Fujitsu Celsius workstations, sadly those were much more "proprietarized" than this Epson system, using custom fan headers, custom power supply plugs, and unremoveable backplates.

Seriously, that case is fantastic! I'd love that kind of front load hotswap setup for my plex machine!

2 hours ago, TannerMcCoolman said:

TIL. Shows how up-to-date I keep on these things lol. This is why I keep doing the videos on tech that's 5+ years old.

Funny part I learned it from Alex

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 hours ago, borisattva said:

I sincerely want to buy that chassis. 
anyone have an idea about logistics of buying JUST the chassis and shipping it to NYC? 

You might find one "junk" on Yahoo Auctions Japan. You'll definitely pay a premium getting it over to the states though. 

9 hours ago, Senzelian said:

a ssd for the lowest end configuration.

imagine selling a harddrive lol

SSDs are still "relatively" the same on the Japanese market, yen-for-yen, you're getting WAY better bang for your buck going spinning disk:

image.thumb.png.f2083cb79b3e53cd8b47ff7ad1e4b86d.png

At the scale that Epson and others are selling at, that spinning rust is far cheaper than the SSDs, especially when you have... Complicated relationships with China: Japan would much rather have something produced in Japan (as that chassis likely was) than something produced in China unless it's going to be seen as of inferior quality anyway.

I'm spitballing here, but I'd bet that the drive that was included was also a local brand: Toshiba or HGST. a Toshiba drive would absolutely make sense given the market and the consumer cost: 
image.png.31b70277218d1f5b773273170ced1222.png

Most of my Japanese friends and coworkers have mentioned that they would rather go for something lower cost and slightly older than something higher cost and top of the line. Many of them have picked up Xbox One X as they've become quite cheap and can still play many of the games that the Xbox Series S can play. One even congratulated me on building a sleeper PC with slightly older parts instead of very high end parts (I had a third gen ryzen chip floating around, plus an rtx2070) and went as far as to say "you should have really gone for a 1650 if you were buying parts."

7 hours ago, alphaLONE said:

Are you sure it's PoziDriv fasteners in that system? I think japanese stuff uses JIS, but I could be wrong.
Mostly curse the PDs for driving me insane while trying to build IKEA furniture with a Philips driver 😄

Also, with regards to these computers, the build reminds me of stuff I've seen on Fujitsu Celsius workstations, sadly those were much more "proprietarized" than this Epson system, using custom fan headers, custom power supply plugs, and unremoveable backplates.

Correct, those were jis (identified by the dots), pozidrive is mostly an european thing

That case looks an awful lot like the ones that FujitsuSiemens used to use way back when Siemens was still in the name. That would make it 20-ish years old, which seems about right.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

Two LTT videos I watched in the span of a few days featured handles on the PC case. Interesting.

This case looks and feels wonderful, I would've loved for those indestructible practical steel giants with tons of useful features and space for the peripherals such as drives to get back into mainstream PC building...

Yes, I had an account here before. Do not ask me about something related to current political events in the part of the planet I live in - I wouldn't answer that for my own sake and safety. Feel free to address me with any other kind of questions.