Why is AMD so late in releasing the 7800, 7700, 7600?

maartendc
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

It's because AMD is going for the throat against Intel, but not in the way you think.

In addition to the continued stock of the previous gen 6000 series being a concern for them, AMD is also constrained by the fact that they use TSMC for everything they do. Instead of making next gen GPUs, they could be using that same silicon allotment to make more Zen 4 CCDs.

These CCDs are useful not only for making their consumer CPUs, but more importantly, for making their EPYC server line.

Right now, Intel is struggling. Sapphire Rapids has been delayed again and again, and is only just now finally making it to market. In the meantime, AMD has been ramping up EPYC production, and raising their prices on it to boot. And they're doing this because they can sell those parts for way more than any consumer part ever could cost. I see reviewers saying it's a bad idea to spend $700 on a 16 core part. Well, EPYC server chips with 16 cores can easily command twice that and still be seen as a good deal compared to what Intel is offering, and that's before we get to the behemoth 96 core models where $11,805 is seen as a good value option, because that CPU can do what no other can.

If AMD made more 7000 series GPUs, they would be cutting into their ability to make EPYC Genoa chips, which is a bad business move. So, they aren't, and we don't get the newer chips.

Hello all,

With the release of the 4070Ti and 4070, and AMD having to drop the pricing on the 6950XT drastically to compete with the 4070, I was wondering:

Why is AMD seemingly so late in releasing their upper-midrange and midrange GPU's this generation?

Are they just sitting on stacks of 6950XT's, 6800XT's and 6700XT's, that they are hoping to sell before releasing a 7800XT and 7700XT respectively?

Or are they just not done with the design / manufacturing of the lower tier 7xxx models yet?

It seems to me they are in a vulnerable position right now, unless they are still selling boatloads of 6950, 6700 and 6800 cards? I kind of doubt it, because these cards are now 2+ years old, and people are holding out for the new gen or going Nvidia. The exception is perhaps the 6950XT, since it is priced so aggressively against the RTX 4070.

It seems to me like if AMD released a 7800XT right now, at $600 or $550, with 16GB of VRAM and 6950XT levels of performance, they would sell LOADS of them, since it just makes the RTX 4070 look bad.

Thoughts?

Maybe waiting for old RDNA2 inventory to get low enough. I still see some online shop selling new 6900, 6800, 6700, discounted.   

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I have been asking myself same thing. For me the bigest problem is that RX 6800 nad 6800XT stock seems to be mostly gone and are hard to find. So you are stuck with RX 6950 for about 100-150 € more or RX 6700XT which are a bit weaker than what I would like. Maybe it is Nvidia time for me, I don't know...

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

8 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Maybe waiting for old RDNA2 inventory to get low enough. I still see some online shop selling new 6900, 6800, 6700, discounted.   

Honestly the best deals right now are last gen 6000 series cards if you are looking at low to mid range gpus so I imagine they aren't eager to sell products that will compete with their current offerings. Nvidia did the same thing when old stock was lingering ok shelves for a long time in the past. 

22 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly the best deals right now are last gen 6000 series cards if you are looking at low to mid range gpus so I imagine they aren't eager to sell products that will compete with their current offerings. Nvidia did the same thing when old stock was lingering ok shelves for a long time in the past. 

or the ebay cards 6900xt for like 550

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

Probably the same reason nvidia took their time to release lower GPUs, to sell off most stock of the last gen. I doubt they're making any more now.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Still lots of stock of RX 6000 series gpus everywhere and TSMC seems to be charging through the nose for new manufacturing like we were still in the worst of the pandemic when everyone was buying new PCs to work from home. I'm just resigned to this being an absolute trash generation for gpus just like 2019 was when the only worthy card to come out was the RX 5700 XT.

It's because AMD is going for the throat against Intel, but not in the way you think.

In addition to the continued stock of the previous gen 6000 series being a concern for them, AMD is also constrained by the fact that they use TSMC for everything they do. Instead of making next gen GPUs, they could be using that same silicon allotment to make more Zen 4 CCDs.

These CCDs are useful not only for making their consumer CPUs, but more importantly, for making their EPYC server line.

Right now, Intel is struggling. Sapphire Rapids has been delayed again and again, and is only just now finally making it to market. In the meantime, AMD has been ramping up EPYC production, and raising their prices on it to boot. And they're doing this because they can sell those parts for way more than any consumer part ever could cost. I see reviewers saying it's a bad idea to spend $700 on a 16 core part. Well, EPYC server chips with 16 cores can easily command twice that and still be seen as a good deal compared to what Intel is offering, and that's before we get to the behemoth 96 core models where $11,805 is seen as a good value option, because that CPU can do what no other can.

If AMD made more 7000 series GPUs, they would be cutting into their ability to make EPYC Genoa chips, which is a bad business move. So, they aren't, and we don't get the newer chips.

15 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

wow, very informative. This makes a lot of sense. I had no idea their manufacturing of GPUs and server CPU's are connected like that. 

Well, I guess we will really have to wait until there are absolutely no 6000 series anymore, and they are losing money and market share. I guess untill Nvidia releases the 4060 and 4050s they dont really have to hurry since they own the lower and midrange market now. 

26 minutes ago, maartendc said:

wow, very informative. This makes a lot of sense. I had no idea their manufacturing of GPUs and server CPU's are connected like that. 

Well, I guess we will really have to wait until there are absolutely no 6000 series anymore, and they are losing money and market share. I guess untill Nvidia releases the 4060 and 4050s they dont really have to hurry since they own the lower and midrange market now. 

Nvidia jumping on TSMC for the silicon has put tremendous strain on fab capability. Considering RTX40 series is still monolithic, its also a really big chunk of wasted silicon compared to chiplet design. ADA Lovelace being pushed to 2024 is a clear sign RTX50 or RX8 wont be coming anytime soon. So 7900XT or 6950XT is what we have to live with for a while...

4 hours ago, PriitM said:

ADA Lovelace being pushed to 2024 is a clear sign RTX50 or RX8 wont be coming anytime soon. So 7900XT or 6950XT is what we have to live with for a while...

I'm confused. Geforce 4000 series architecture is Codenamed Ada Lovelace.. It is out now.

I would agree that it will be a LOONG time before we see RTX5000 or RX8000 series, judging from the fact that the RTX 4000 and RX7000 haven't even got a complete lineup. Between RTX 3090 and 4090 was a full 2 years.

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

I'm confused. Geforce 4000 series architecture is Codenamed Ada Lovelace.. It is out now.

I would agree that it will be a LOONG time before we see RTX5000 or RX8000 series, judging from the fact that the RTX 4000 and RX7000 haven't even got a complete lineup. Between RTX 3090 and 4090 was a full 2 years.

Ah yes, my mistake. RTX50 Blackwell supposed to be chiplet.

Clearing out old stock before releasing new stuff is the smart thing to do. Look how long nvidia has been doing it, at least amd dropped the prices on the 6950xt heavily. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x