You don’t need a new PC

Shahrad
55 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

I've ran the latest version of Common Sense AV since 2010 and had zero problems.

Same here,

I even still use a Windows 2000 machine that is still connected to the internet, and a Windows 7 machine as well and nothing ever happened.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

21 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

installing gnu/linux puts you in the same boat unless you install some normie distro, but for the sake of a bloat topic, people will wouldn't be using those then now would they?

I would argue that Linux automatically is put in a different "security tier", simply because most people aren't trying to develop viruses or malware for the 2% of people who actively use Linux, instead going for the much, MUCH larger Windows userbase. That's not to say that Linux Malware doesn't exist, it's just not as much of an issue.

Also, most people who have Linux will in fact be using a "normie distro" like Ubuntu, which comes preinstalled with Antiviruses anyway so it's not a huge deal. If you're using a non-standard or advanced Linux OS then you likely are already well aware of the security risks, know how to mitigate them manually, and can deal with security issues better than most. The high skill threshold needed to install a distro like Arch for example means by just installing it you're skilled enough to know how to set things up properly.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

40 minutes ago, Birblover12 said:

I would argue that Linux automatically is put in a different "security tier", simply because most people aren't trying to develop viruses or malware for the 2% of people who actively use Linux, instead going for the much, MUCH larger Windows userbase. That's not to say that Linux Malware doesn't exist, it's just not as much of an issue.

Also, most people who have Linux will in fact be using a "normie distro" like Ubuntu, which comes preinstalled with Antiviruses anyway so it's not a huge deal. If you're using a non-standard or advanced Linux OS then you likely are already well aware of the security risks, know how to mitigate them manually, and can deal with security issues better than most. The high skill threshold needed to install a distro like Arch for example means by just installing it you're skilled enough to know how to set things up properly.

but I dont think people will just flock to ubuntu, I think they will google lightweight linux distro or something and install one of those since ubuntu is pigfat

My idea of old computer: Core 2 duo E4300 / Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 4 GB RAM (stuff that is super old in tech's terms but still somewhat usable for the very basic stuff when you throw in the cheapest 120 gb SSD you can find)

LTT's idea of old computer: i5-7400 / 16 gb ram

lmao

2 hours ago, Birblover12 said:

The high skill threshold needed to install a distro like Arch for example means by just installing it you're skilled enough to know how to set things up properly.

New to this thread, but have you ever even used Linux, or if so, have you installed Arch? For a good while now Arch has been relatively easy to install. You just type "archinstall" into the prompt and it launches an install script which makes it significantly easier than it used to be.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

51 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

An interesting reponse.  

The most dangerous advice Linus has ever given. 

I fully agree with him.

I believe this is one of the worst videos Linus has put out in a good while now. The idea behind it is good, but the dude shits the bed completely when it comes to the part about the OS. He also really got under my skin by trying to argue that AtlasOS makes Linux completely pointless. It's like he jumps at any opportunity to shit on Linux, with him having the mentality that people only use it for the sake of breathing life into older hardware.

11 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

New to this thread, but have you ever even used Linux, or if so, have you installed Arch? For a good while now Arch has been relatively easy to install. You just type "archinstall" into the prompt and it launches an install script which makes it significantly easier than it used to be.

I used Linux as my daily OS for several years, and imo if you're installing Arch, you're doing so because of how much of a "blank slate" it is and can be customized, something that is generally done inside a command terminal. But I see your point, I just think most people would search "best linux OS", find the first list and install one of those is all.

Keep in mind that I am sometimes wrong, so please correct me if you believe this is the case!

"The Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 is brutally underrated"

1 hour ago, Birblover12 said:

I used Linux as my daily OS for several years, and imo if you're installing Arch, you're doing so because of how much of a "blank slate" it is and can be customized, something that is generally done inside a command terminal. But I see your point, I just think most people would search "best linux OS", find the first list and install one of those is all.

I've installed Arch the old fashioned way once for the sake of saying that I did it, but with the install script it's so easy to where even someone with basic Linux knowledge could manage to get it working, at least after one or two test rounds.

I used Mint and Ubuntu way back in 2016, but it wasn't until around the beginning of last year that I set out to properly learn how to use Linux, and I do love the platform. Ran it exclusively on all my PCs for around 6 months before going back to Windows (only because of the Ghost Spectre iso. Otherwise I'd stick to w10 or Linux). When I started last year, it was Mint first (don't remember which version), then PopOS (21.04 or whatever the version was at that time), me constantly running into issues and bricking my installs. I then tried Kubuntu which was broken at the time, and then Ubuntu (which I got to install and run, but didn't like the experience). By that point I learned enough to be able to make the other distros work. I went to PopOS LTS (which was 20.something at the time), but had issues that went away by switching to the non-LTS version. Used that for a couple weeks before switching to Fedora 35 for awhile, then back to w10. I stuck to 10, but did install and play around with some distros during that time like Manjaro (shit experience) and Arch, and then ran Fedora 36 for a while. Eventually went back to latest PopOS for a few weeks before discovering EndeavourOS. Used that one for 4 months before switching over to Garuda to try that one out. Also played around with Arcolinux and a couple others. Garuda & EndeavourOS will always be my go-to Arch distros. If I want something stable I'll go with Mint or Fedora.

I think Linus doesn't understand why people use Linux. Here is a non-exhaustive list of reason why you would want to use Linux:

• It has much better package managing than Windows.
  • It's much better for developing in most cases.
  • It's FOSS, and all the advantages that come with it.
  • It can be both secure and lightweight.
  • It's super flexible, it feels and looks the way you want to.
  • It doesn't dependent on a single company.
  • It performs better than Windows (or macOS) in certain workflows.
  • It can be the best option (or even the only option) on some platforms (IBM Power, ARM SBCs and workstations (Ampere Altra), RISC-V).

Windows can still be a better experience in certain workflows. But a non-secured and unsupported Windows modified version is not going to kill Linux.

I'm a French nerd. I use Project Nobara and I like FOSS and retro-computing.

20 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

really wtf do you people do on your pc that you get all these viruses. 

I mean okay maybe you have a 0.0001% hance of running across a no click browser vuln with privilege escalation, but other than that.

like zero people here are not behind a router with a firewall and nat.

so what is it, is everyone here a bloody pirate downloading shit and then crying aaaaa save me AV im dumb? 

I've ran the latest version of Common Sense AV since 2010 and had zero problems. 

you're a tech enthousiast. you're living in your bubble. most people who aren't into tech don't know the dangers of for example spam email. it takes 1 spam email that someone who isn't tech-literate opens to get an infected computer. 

then, on the same network, if some idiot is running Atlas, a version of Windows thats potentially a year or more out of date, the virus could easily spread over the network and infect that computer. etc etc etc. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, peotr26 said:

I think Linus doesn't understand why people use Linux. Here is a non-exhaustive list of reason why you would want to use Linux:

• It has much better package managing than Windows.

image.thumb.png.eaad1d951e61e5ef0eca590ad2aefd01.png

It's much better for developing in most cases.

how so?

It's super flexible, it feels and looks the way you want to.

after hours of messing with it perhaps. by the way, Windows is customizable too. here's my Windows 11, Windows 7 taskbar and start menu and all. 
image.png.6eaf3a933197be969d63ee35359d7b63.png

It performs better than Windows (or macOS) in certain workflows.

aside from gaming, professional tools like Adobe, business tools like Microsoft 365, etc. 

Windows can still be a better experience in certain workflows. But a non-secured and unsupported Windows modified version is not going to kill Linux.

Atlas is stupid and not better than normal Windows either. i'm running Windows 11 on a 4670K system, which is about 4 years older than the system LTT showcased here, and it's running very well. you don't need a modified Windows to get acceptable performance. all it takes is some common sense. disabling background apps for example, which is just a toggle in Windows Settings. 

She/Her

12 hours ago, 10leej said:

Disabling UAC seems like a good idea. LETS RUN EVERYTHING AS ADMIN GUYS!

it was fine for Windows XP lmfao

She/Her

12 hours ago, powertoys said:

My idea of old computer: Core 2 duo E4300 / Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 4 GB RAM (stuff that is super old in tech's terms but still somewhat usable for the very basic stuff when you throw in the cheapest 120 gb SSD you can find)

LTT's idea of old computer: i5-7400 / 16 gb ram

lmao

the definition of living in a bubble. "a quadcore? EW who uses those anymore"

She/Her

19 hours ago, Vishera said:

Same here,

I even still use a Windows 2000 machine that is still connected to the internet, and a Windows 7 machine as well and nothing ever happened.

that's dumb. why do you need those computers connected to the internet anyway?

She/Her

47 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:
20 hours ago, Vishera said:

Same here,

that's dumb. why do you need those computers connected to the internet anyway?

Because i can 🤪

image.thumb.png.a8a76452b10e305387d2c5fe9b1c631d.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

14 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

An interesting reponse.  

The most dangerous advice Linus has ever given. 

This guys brain is so wilted he doesn't know that restore points are a security issue. He must have been using linux so long he forgot what malware can do. He's an idiot btw. Restore points are the easiest way to get rid of a nigerian prince!! 8D

I've been using linux for more than a decade, maybe two decades at this point. I still know that those are a necessity in windows for security. The same is true in linux but you usually use a secondary backup as a restore point. If you do at all.

Youtube is a wonderland of trash and idiots. It is and will continue to result in that idiocy being given money and pushing out anyone more intelligent to make that stupidity solid and stable in society. You can figure out the rest. This is why youtube is more and more like a TV as we go. BTW, the difference in the past is that there was some iota of the opposite to learn from in the past. That has been wiped out. And I'm using the term wiped out intentionally as that is what literally occured.

BTW, I get horrific dread and am repulsed by anything requiring a download that is not a major companies video game or very well known software. And that is only to run with proton. I can't stand people who think it's safe to download anything...

The only old computer I would run would be an old dos machine with windows 3.1 for retro games if I cared. But as that was pre internet I wouldn't have to worry about viruses. Unless I hooked it up to my computer in a network... Nah, just use the monitor. Software isn't convenient enough yet to make me want to do that. At which point I would hope it's convenient enough to make dosbox or an alternative work out of the box.

Also, the guy is using so many facial expressions because he has no idea what he's talking about. He's relying on emotion to express something and does not have sufficient knowledge to be giving advice on this level. If it's a youtuber it's the bottom of the barrel of an example of wahtever it is. Engineer, lawyer, idiot on the internet. (BTW, much better exist of all of these examples outside youtube. ;p)

19 minutes ago, FancyPants101 said:

windows 3.1 for retro games if I cared. But as that was pre internet I wouldn't have to worry about viruses.

Windows 3.1 wasn't pre-internet...

Internet Explorer 3.0 for Win 3.1 Setup

At the time only the rich could afford access to the internet.

It was pre instant hook up internet. Back then most people used it for games and didn't use the internet. We still use phone services to potentially get game advice or bought a magazine... Dos is late 80's/early 90's for god sake.

3 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

you're a tech enthousiast. you're living in your bubble. most people who aren't into tech don't know the dangers of for example spam email. it takes 1 spam email that someone who isn't tech-literate opens to get an infected computer. 

then, on the same network, if some idiot is running Atlas, a version of Windows thats potentially a year or more out of date, the virus could easily spread over the network and infect that computer. etc etc etc. 

I dont give those users local admin. if you have low int users with local admin on a computer that is on your internal network then bruh thats all on you. 

either dmz that shit on its own net or take away their admin perms. low int family in general doesnt need admin if you're willing to occasionally support them. 

5 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

I dont give those users local admin. if you have low int users with local admin on a computer that is on your internal network then bruh thats all on you. 

either dmz that shit on its own net or take away their admin perms. low int family in general doesnt need admin if you're willing to occasionally support them. 

ah yes i'd love to get a phone call from my mom randomly "what's the admin password i'm trying to update chrome"

She/Her

On 4/24/2023 at 9:44 PM, poochyena said:

?? Why would you pay $18 to upgrade the ram? Would that even give any real performance gain? That seemed like such a weird thing to do considering the topic of the video being that old hardware is perfectly fine and cheap.

depends , I bought a Asus Vivobook with Ryzen 5 5600h and its vega 7 integrated GPU for a second pc, it originally come with 8gb of soldered RAM and I assure you the difference was day and night after I added a 16gb memory stick to it

18 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

ah yes i'd love to get a phone call from my mom randomly "what's the admin password i'm trying to update chrome"

do not install chrome with admin then. when you install it, literally click no and it will say "no but wait c-chrome can be installed without admin too"

Either way even if installed with admin perms it doesnt need them to update.

also ngl they would just call and say pls come over again some time the computers broken

32 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

also ngl they would just call and say pls come over again some time the computers broken

i live an hour away by train from my parents and i don't have a car... fantastic idea. 

She/Her