Why Nvidia has your blessing?

Why Nvidia has your blessing?

iZIeCsX.gif

I've been using Nvidia cards for quite some time, this summer I'll be building a new PC since I had to sell my PC months ago to pay the college debt. But I got to be sincere, I was buying Nvidia cards for PhysX and their software.

To those currently using Nvidia cards, why Nvidia? 

Is it because is the name that we're used to read on forums? 

Bad experience using an AMD card?

Currently using Nvidia but you actually alternate between brands?

If you have used Nvidia but now you use an AMD card, explain why, if there's a reason(apart from the prices).

*Not a debate of Nvidia vs AMD, I'm looking for reasoning of why exactly you use or stopped using Nvidia.

i ended up buying nvidia cards to use the tech like physx and shadowplay, however they don't really work well for me or they suck

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium

I use an NVidia card becuase I got it cheap. I'm not brand loyal toward anyone, and I have used both AMD and NVidia cards in the past.

I usually just look at were I can get the most performance for my money.

I will say that Physx and ShadowPlay are nice features, but they would never be what I determine my purchase on.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The Asus Nvidia cards have backplates. The AMD did't :)

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Cause I tried to buy two different 280x cards and they both had to be returned for artifacting. So I bought a GTX 770 and liked it so much I bought another one. I had been on team red up til this point but not cause brand loyalty or anything just AMD had been the right price/performance ratio up til this point. 

Also gsync is pretty amazing & shadowplay works well.

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

Always used nvidia and Intel. Only ever strayed once and was disappointed at the heat/noise/performance of amd. Just consumerism sticking to what you know works well.

Because they tend to give better performance if you are willing to pay the extra premium, shadowplay is fantastic, as is game stream for my nvidia shield, I also love how easy it is to upgrade drivers, open geforce experience, clock update

My alienware uses AMD graphics and drivers are an ARSE, I often have to redownload Catalyst Control Centre just so I can install new drivers, I normally have to uninstall my old ones before installing the news ones, requiring restarts inbetween. Other than Mantle no other real benefit though better performance per £

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Temps

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

I regret not giving AMD a good look and going with Nvidia for my last card. Their cards are overpriced and they try to justify the premiums which I think are unjustifiable by the software, much like Apple.

Things like GSync don't even exist yet in the market and AMD already has FreeSync in the pipeline. PhysX works just fine on my CPU and there are open source alternatives to shadowplay on the AMD ecosystem even though I don't actually use Shadowplay.

CPU : i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz. GPU : MSI Lightning GTX 770 @ 1300mhz. 16GB 1600mhz RAM

Nvidia

1. EVGA

2. Superior Drivers

3. Honesty

4. Understandable naming scheme

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Honestly I prefer my PC to not be a heater and the new cards AMD released were just that loud and annoying if that was not the case I probably would of picked up a 290x.

I absolutely don't care about shadowplay, physX, mantle and all the other "selling points" of both brands. I get whatever gives me the best performance for my money and that happened to be the 290 for me.

Nvidia

1. EVGA

2. Superior Drivers

3. Honesty

I wouldn't go as far as to list honesty. Did everyone so quickly forget about the Tier 0 scandal ? the 320.18 drivers that actually killed cards or Nvidia's latest dishonest driver campaign where they promised performance improvements and completely failed to deliver.

I'm open to reasoning to try AMD, but that reason cannot be just the price. For reliability and performance most of the time is Nvidia what I read of. I'm willing to try AMD but the more I read...

Temps, AMD GPUs run at Temps that  i can't get compfy with, even though they say it fine and even with a non reference, i don't buy it, Plus, something about nVidia is Really cool and Stands for RAW Hardcore Power

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Nvidia

1. EVGA

2. Superior Drivers

3. Honesty

Minus the honesty part, I agree with you.

The marketing of their performance in cards and drivers are often so misleading.

Minus the honesty part, I agree with you.

The marketing of their performance in cards and drivers are often so misleading.

That's not an exclusive behavior AMD does it as well, I also didn't say that Nvidia was completely honest though I see them as more honest than AMD is. AMD often hypes their products to e level that they end up never be able to actually match.

I wouldn't go as far as to list honesty. Did everyone so quickly forget about the Tier 0 scandal ? the 320.18 drivers that actually killed cards or Nvidia's latest dishonest driver campaign where they promised performance improvements and completely failed to deliver.

I wasn't affected by the 320 drivers and I ran them for quite some time, I actually don't have a problem with the Tier 0 thing as I think Nvidia is better, if AMD had the cash they would have done it too and I didn't believe the claims they were making about the driver performance increase. You have to be able to separate the marketing from a companies announcements, otherwise everything they say will be a lie.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

AMD has always been an afterthought, even when comparing Intel to AMD. My very first home computer when I was 8 years old had a Pentium. Then when I discovered AMD made graphics cards, I already knew Nvidia made graphics cards.

Seems like you go with what you know first. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Like many other people, I feel Nvidia has a more premium feel, as well has having great software for optimising games, updating drivers, and other stuff.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I used to own a Asus GTX 560, i kind of regret that purchase (that mini HDMI can rust in hell), at the time and price-point i would have gotten allot more with AMD. The deal i got with my 7950 didn't disappoint though, never-settle FTW.

But if i upgrade from this it is most likely going to be Nvidia, the reason being that they have the best top tier cards. I wont go Nvidia unless i get a top tier card.

Otherwise AMD so i get more bang for my €. Unless Nvidia has a massive overhaul in their lineup and pricing.

Funny how my first card was a HD 6450, then came the GTX 560, currently AMD again with my 7950. And planning on going Nvidia again.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I have went from  480GTX sli > 680GTX sli > 290x CrossfireX.

Dont regret a thing :) best bang for buck. I don't mind the heat TBH computers are allowed to get warm. If the cards built for thoose high temps then so be it. I CAN and DO live with it perfectly fine. AMD drivers have come a long way from the past (back in the old 5000 series rubbish drivers).

People should be willing to give alternatives a try. If you don't like it then return it!  ;)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Because they tend to give better performance if you are willing to pay the extra premium, shadowplay is fantastic, as is game stream for my nvidia shield, I also love how easy it is to upgrade drivers, open geforce experience, clock update

My alienware uses AMD graphics and drivers are an ARSE, I often have to redownload Catalyst Control Centre just so I can install new drivers, I normally have to uninstall my old ones before installing the news ones, requiring restarts inbetween. Other than Mantle no other real benefit though better performance per £

Hmm, I was just wondering. When you install nVDIA drivers with Geforce Experience, are the drivers installed and ready to use, or do the new drivers not take effect until after you've restarted the computer? 'Cuz, it would be interesting if you didn't have to restart the computer just due to using a different brand. I would think it's a thing with Windows, or just how software works.

And I guess the stuff like ShadowPlay and shield streaming aren't really for me, honestly. I don't especially like playing games on small screens, our internet (and router) are pretty crap during peak hours, and I don't record my gameplay at all.

But, I will agree with you that AMD's drivers suck sometimes. Oh man, just last year...I got a new graphics card for my birthday, and I mistakenly used an AMD program to remove the drivers on Windows 8, when it was only supposed to be used on Windows 7, which caused a teeny, tiny error that could be easily fixed. Yeah...no. It took me over a MONTH to figure out what exactly was going on, and by then I had returned two of the Radeon HD 7790s that I had gotten because of white lines that appeared only in the lower right corner of my screen, but that was caused by a driver error or something, because they stopped after I changed it. But, for some reason, which I know assume to be bottlenecking (I had an FX-6100), Skyrim would freeze for a second when I quickly turned around, and it was the same thing with Dishonored. But, back on topic, it completely screwed up my Windows 8 install. I managed to fix it; I had it good, because others had to reinstall Windows, while I only had to refresh it.

Yeah, those are my experiences. I've never had anything more significant happen with AMD's drivers, except that it is somewhat inconvenient to have to restart once to remove the drivers, and then restart again to have them completely installed and usable. But, I don't care that much; they offered a graphics card that was competitively priced at the time I bought it, and I am really happy with it.

Edit: Though, once I fixed everything, Skyrim would lag much less when I swiveled around, so it was partially caused by the messed-up Windows. And, once I get my next graphics card, I'm going for nVIDIA to see what they're like.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.