Should we be concerned about the state of PC ports?

Sol_NB

I’ve been doing slot of back and forth thinking lately. And am in a bit of a tough spot on wether I should upgrade my GPU to a 7900XT and continue to game on my gaming PC or wether to save my money and just game on my PS5. The reason why I’m having this debate is because if the current state of PC ports and wether it’s worth it or not to bang my head against that wall or not and throw more money into my computer. Or to play the PS5 and deal with lesser graphical quality and options, but know that atleast the game should work. 

I like PC because of the options and upgradeability of parts and that the game library has continuity and I know it’ll be still available unless a game maybe gets delisted (on console you never know if games carry over gen to gen or not) 

I like consoles because, they kinda just work. You turn it in and boot a game. Don’t need to worry about compatibility of parts and so on and if the game is gonna stutter too much. And I like a lot of SONYs aesthetics if doing things on consoles and the game library. Though my question is mainly due to multi platform games. I can still play the exclusives on the PS5. 

basically I’m wondering if we’re at this kinda tipping point with current PC port releases if it’s actualy a better use if time and mental resources to just play on consoles. I’m not sure how healthy it is to be like “well, I’m sure I’ll be able to fix these performance issues by throwing money at X part” 

do you think the current state of things it’s maybe better to just game on consoles? Or stick with PC and try to grind through the issues?

Best advice i can give you, Just stop playing shitty games that are Console first, PC second. PC Ported games are  almost always poorly done, they dont put in the effort to make it worthwhile. If you are a person that HAS to play the latest game because reasons, sure i could see consoles being worth it for day 1 stuff. Anything else PC will reign supreme every single time for the Library alone. Buy something on steam? Its pretty much always going to be there, baring online servers for that game go down. Sales? Pretty hard-pressed to find deals like that on Playstation platform, sometimes they are there.

It just comes down to what you play and what you want out of it. I prefer PC, have for about 16 years now, and i would never go back to consoles. Every individual has their own desires and games they play, so just base it off that.

10 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Best advice i can give you, Just stop playing shitty games that are Console first, PC second. PC Ported games are  almost always poorly done, they dont put in the effort to make it worthwhile. If you are a person that HAS to play the latest game because reasons, sure i could see consoles being worth it for day 1 stuff. Anything else PC will reign supreme every single time for the Library alone. Buy something on steam? Its pretty much always going to be there, baring online servers for that game go down. Sales? Pretty hard-pressed to find deals like that on Playstation platform, sometimes they are there.

It just comes down to what you play and what you want out of it. I prefer PC, have for about 16 years now, and i would never go back to consoles. Every individual has their own desires and games they play, so just base it off that.

Issue is almost all multi platform games are based off console first. So that’s gonna be a lot of games I would instead want to play on console and not on PC 

12 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Issue is almost all multi platform games are based off console first. So that’s gonna be a lot of games I would instead want to play on console and not on PC 

No, There is a difference between being a console First, PC Port later, and a multi platform game. Again it comes down to the amount of effort and time the studio is given for them, and often times its just never enough. Most of the Console first games are on there for a decent amount of time before the PC port is done, some are pretty much rushed out. It should have been much better this generation, but so far that has not been the case.

4 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No, There is a difference between being a console First, PC Port later, and a multi platform game. Again it comes down to the amount of effort and time the studio is given for them, and often times its just never enough. Most of the Console first games are on there for a decent amount of time before the PC port is done, some are pretty much rushed out. It should have been much better this generation, but so far that has not been the case.

I mean, every PC version of a game that’s even come out day and date on PC and Console has been broken on PC.  So that dosent match with what your saying 

52 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

I mean, every PC version of a game that’s even come out day and date on PC and Console has been broken on PC.  So that dosent match with what your saying 

Let me guess. Day One release ?

I don't think I encountered that many problems with a game, if at all on PC. Except emulators of course.

The problems I usually get is due to me trying to mod the game if a mod is available. 😂

But yeah, not like I'm a Day One release player.

So, all I can say is this :

If you don't need the flexibility of a PC, and just want to not be hassled at all about playing games, go ahead and change to console.

Considering you're pretty much saying the same thing you did at your previous post, to me it seems you pretty much already have one and a half foot towards console afterall.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

15 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Let me guess. Day One release ?

I don't think I encountered that many problems with a game, if at all on PC. Except emulators of course.

The problems I usually get is due to me trying to mod the game if a mod is available. 😂

But yeah, not like I'm a Day One release player.

So, all I can say is this :

If you don't need the flexibility of a PC, and just want to not be hassled at all about playing games, go ahead and change to console.

Considering you're pretty much saying the same thing you did at your previous post, to me it seems you pretty much already have one and a half foot towards console afterall.

Do they get fixed though eventually? Sometimes I wonder if the issues ever do get fixed a lot of times. 

4 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Do they get fixed though eventually? Sometimes I wonder if the issues ever do get fixed a lot of times. 

Well. There is games where the issue get fixed, how long? depends on the devs.
There is also games where the issue never gets fixed.

There is also games where the issue never gets fixed by the devs, until a smart, helpful, and impatient fan of the game end up making the fix. (Example : Nier Automata fixed using FAR/Special K)

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well. There is games where the issue get fixed, how long? depends on the devs.
There is also games where the issue never gets fixed.

There is also games where the issue never gets fixed by the devs, until a smart, helpful, and impatient fan of the game end up making the fix. (Example : Nier Automata fixed using FAR/Special K)

It kinda sucks then that you never know if it ever really gets fixed 

1 hour ago, Sol_NB said:

It kinda sucks then that you never know if it ever really gets fixed 

If a dev doesnt bother to fix their game.

And there is no 3rd party fix around.

I just not gonna bother giving them my money. Simple

Refresh before you reply

4 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

Many of the games that are broken on PC are also broken on consoles on day 1.

My best advice no matter what platform you play on: Don't pre-order and don't play on day 1. Let other people be the idiots to do your beta-testing and then decide if it's worth it. If a game has significant issues on a platform, you will know it BEFORE you buy it.

Other than that, just don't play the latest AAA games. "AAA" hasn't been a quality benchmark for the longest time. There are so many Indie games where the devs actually care about the game. Most memorable games i've played the last few years have been indie games, and most Indie games are PC exclusive. If people keep buying the latest Call of Duty, even though it's completely broken, then they will keep making these games.

I will personally not step away from PC gaming. Other factors like more seamless VoIP and especially modding will keep me on the platform.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

56 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Many of the games that are broken on PC are also broken on consoles on day 1.

My best advice no matter what platform you play on: Don't pre-order and don't play on day 1. Let other people be the idiots to do your beta-testing and then decide if it's worth it. If a game has significant issues on a platform, you will know it BEFORE you buy it.

Other than that, just don't play the latest AAA games. "AAA" hasn't been a quality benchmark for the longest time. There are so many Indie games where the devs actually care about the game. Most memorable games i've played the last few years have been indie games, and most Indie games are PC exclusive. If people keep buying the latest Call of Duty, even though it's completely broken, then they will keep making these games.

I will personally not step away from PC gaming. Other factors like more seamless VoIP and especially modding will keep me on the platform.

I totally agree with this. ^

Even now I still wonder why some peoples pre-order a game just because they want to play it on day 1.

I'm not even interested in being the "beta tester" of a new platform.

And like @Stahlmann experienced, in the past few years there's quite a bunch of Indie games that left a lasting impression on me.

Be it story wise, gameplay wise, or simply the amount of care the dev put into it. I am glad I'm a PC user, wouldn't know about them if I stayed pure console.

And yes, modding. I played Nier Automata without mods before (was lazy), the FMV was of shit quality at shit framerate, the texture was at like... what? 720p :x

Now playing it again fully modded, 4k60fps FMV, 4k textures, FPS unlimiter, and many others QoL mods. So damn good.

I feel like a moron playing it unmodded the first time. 😂

Refresh before you reply

On 5/26/2023 at 4:48 AM, Sol_NB said:

But this is a *you* issue cause most "ports" are better on PC.

Didn't you make basically the same thread earlier already?

EITHER WAY advise is simple, sell the PC , buy a console. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 5/26/2023 at 4:36 AM, Shimejii said:

thats the thing since i got my pc in 2017 i sold most of my consoles,  play only on pc and have no reason whatsoever to go back so i have a really hard time following ops train of thought here.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

thats the thing since i got my pc in 2017 i sold most of my consoles,  play only on pc and have no reason whatsoever to go back so i have a really hard time following ops train of thought here.

Well, preferences differ from person to another.

If I ask my brother, he'd most likely pick console, he doesn't have the mental capacity nor enough experience to deal with bugs and stuffs.

And he's an IT graduate :x (Don't ask, weird I know)

As for OP himself, well..., he's at a crossroad. I'm guessing there's a lingering feel to stay in PC gaming, but at the same time he's burned out from dealing with shit releases.

Regardless, it should be pretty clear by now what each path's pros & cons is. Plus he can also buy console and play using it, and use cheaper PC in the future for everything else.

Refresh before you reply

26 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Well, preferences differ from person to another.

If I ask my brother, he'd most likely pick console, he doesn't have the mental capacity nor enough experience to deal with bugs and stuffs.

And he's an IT graduate :x (Don't ask, weird I know)

As for OP himself, well..., he's at a crossroad. I'm guessing there's a lingering feel to stay in PC gaming, but at the same time he's burned out from dealing with shit releases.

Regardless, it should be pretty clear by now what each path's pros & cons is. Plus he can also buy console and play using it, and use cheaper PC in the future for everything else.

Probably all true, but still from my recollection "dealing with bugs" etc was something i had to do with Nier Automata (it never ran as well as the original release on ps3 though) and umm, i guess Resident Evil 5 (need a fan fix to play properly,  takes 2 minutes to install...)

Other than that, i do minimal research before buying something and therefore typically don't run into this issue,  also there's Steam refund, you could always just try it out. So tldr, overall this "bad port" thing is rather rare and vastly over exaggerated imho.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

But this is a *you* issue cause most "ports" are better on PC.

Didn't you make basically the same thread earlier already?

EITHER WAY advise is simple, sell the PC , buy a console. 

I’m still confused how you’re saying most ports are better on PC. Are you saying like, the overall number? Because it’s obvious recent ports have not been better on PC and in fact worse. Maybe there’s some sort I’m not understanding about your argument 

19 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

I’m still confused how you’re saying most ports are better on PC. Are you saying like, the overall number? Because it’s obvious recent ports have not been better on PC and in fact worse. Maybe there’s some sort I’m not understanding about your argument 

yes, overall.  and i honestly doubt that changed recently.  i believe you're just picking the ones that are actually bad - maybe its just what you really want to play, sure, but then --> get it on console... there's no other solution or is there. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

About buggy ports. I think you should extend your horizon and find games. I never once cared about a port. I recall console gamers would get excited about how 4 new cool games are coming. 4? what a small world. Also all you need is a 16gb card. the rx 6800 is a good gf that nobody wants for as low as 250 usd. Overkill even for 4k120. The average benchmark understates gpu's power by 2x because utlra settings are a waste.

But if you misjudge so hard that you think you need a 7900, console gaming has the simplicity you need.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

34 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yes, overall.  and i honestly doubt that changed recently.  i believe you're just picking the ones that are actually bad - maybe its just what you really want to play, sure, but then --> get it on console... there's no other solution or is there. 

Pretty much every port this year has been worse on PC day one. This ain’t something I’m just pulling out of thin air man. Maybe you aren’t paying attention to the current state of the ports and multi platform games coming out this year, I don’t know 

23 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

About buggy ports. I think you should extend your horizon and find games. I never once cared about a port. I recall console gamers would get excited about how 4 new cool games are coming. 4? what a small world. Also all you need is a 16gb card. the rx 6800 is a good gf that nobody wants for as low as 250 usd. Overkill even for 4k120. The average benchmark understates gpu's power by 2x because utlra settings are a waste.

But if you misjudge so hard that you think you need a 7900, console gaming has the simplicity you need.

A lot of games these days are multi platform though. So to not look at ports your missing out on alot of new games 

8 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Pretty much every port this year has been worse on PC day one. This ain’t something I’m just pulling out of thin air man. Maybe you aren’t paying attention to the current state of the ports and multi platform games coming out this year, I don’t know 

or maybe you aren't paying attention that im not the only one saying this?

And you still didn't explain why you don't just play on consoles then.  

That's the second topic you made about the same subject and are getting the same answers?  

Seems like trolling to me because you keep ignoring the obvious solution--> play on console. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

A lot of games these days are multi platform though. So to not look at ports your missing out on alot of new games 

like what? guy on a horse? boring guy simping for little daughter? boring

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

or maybe you aren't paying attention that im not the only one saying this?

And you still didn't explain why you don't just play on consoles then.  

That's the second topic you made about the same subject and are getting the same answers?  

Seems like trolling to me because you keep ignoring the obvious solution--> play on console. 

I generally don’t like console because of the fact on PC I get to keep my library over bay number of years and not worry about backwards compatibility and the chance of getting higher frames and performance 

-= Merged topics =-

Please do not repost a topic, just continue the original one.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER