Should we be concerned about the state of PC ports?

Sol_NB
2 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

have they really always been about this bad?

There are a number of games that have been terrible ports, Arkham Origins for instance. There's a high profile example every year or so, The Last of Us and Jedi Survivors as just the most recent examples. 

8 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Why does it seem like more are being way more negative lately about it?

There's more press around it, plus there's the issue of games using more VRAM then they had in the past, more than Nvidia had put on most of their cards. It happens every once in a while, there was a ton of negative press around Arkham Origins for instance. 

13 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Also if they’re always this bad then why do people put up with it? 

There are a ton of games that are good still, not all of them are bad. Plus there are non-AAA games that are really good too. Not everything is unplayable. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There are a number of games that have been terrible ports, Arkham Origins for instance. There's a high profile example every year or so, The Last of Us and Jedi Survivors as just the most recent examples. 

There's more press around it, plus there's the issue of games using more VRAM then they had in the past, more than Nvidia had put on most of their cards. It happens every once in a while, there was a ton of negative press around Arkham Origins for instance. 

There are a ton of games that are good still, not all of them are bad. Plus there are non-AAA games that are really good too. Not everything is unplayable. 

Well I guess I just hope I am not gonna be in this constant rat race to like, tweaking and trying to get games to run well or run at all and feel like I gotta replace hardware every year to make stuff run ok. 

I don't really have this problem... i kinda understand you like console ports, specifically those that are badly optimized (which in my view is a very rare occasion) 

So A this sounds like FOMO and B yes, in that case you should probably get a console,  but in my view, again,  this is completely unnecessary. 

Just FYI i play mostly console "ports" but i do make sure they run ok, and typically far better on PC than consoles could ever dream of. Tldr: yes i think this is a self made problem,  and yes, there are obvious solutions for that.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't really have this problem... i kinda understand you like console ports, specifically those that are badly optimized (which in my view is a very rare occasion) 

So A this sounds like FOMO and B yes, in that case you should probably get a console,  but in my view, again,  this is completely unnecessary. 

Just FYI i play mostly console "ports" but i do make sure they run ok, and typically far better on PC than consoles could ever dream of. Tldr: yes i think this is a self made problem,  and yes, there are obvious solutions for that.

Not entirely sure what you mean. How is it a self made problem when this year  we’ve seen pretty much every PC port launch broken? How is that me having a “self made problem”? I didn’t develop the games 

8 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, pretty much every PC port this year was busted in some major way. Dead Space, Harry Potter, Wild Hearts, Calissto. 

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also not sure what obvious solutions you mean? 

4 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Also not sure what obvious solutions you mean? 

i mentioned them

A inform yourself, don't buy shitty ports

B play on console if the games you play run better there. 

Literally "obvious" no?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i mentioned them

A inform yourself, don't buy shitty ports

B play on console if the games you play run better there. 

Literally "obvious" no?

Sure. That makes sense. But ideally like, I would hope there isn’t so many bad ports it forces me into console even if I don’t want to. 

maybe I’m over blowing and it’s not that bad, I don’t know 

6 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

Sure. That makes sense. But ideally like, I would hope there isn’t so many bad ports it forces me into console even if I don’t want to. 

maybe I’m over blowing and it’s not that bad, I don’t know 

yeah true,  im just saying inform yourself and make the adequate choice,  its not a big issue since you have a pc and console...

and sure, its not ideal but it is what is, these companies wont stop selling bad "ports" because they still sell and better optimization just doesn't make sense to them financially.  So vote with your wallet,as they say.

ps: as said for me it isnt that bad, i play mostly multi platform titles (for some reason) and they run just fine... i simply avoid certain games and publishers (such as EA, From, SE...)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, emothxughts said:

I'd say, there are way more PC games out there than the latest and highly unoptimized AAA games, you should look up older games that are way more fun and has way more reasonable specs requirements & performance. Off the top of my head I can recommends Borderlands 2 and 3, Nier Automata, Black Mesa, Saints Row 3 and 4 (but not the 2022 reboot), and last but not least Skyrim with lots of mods. In fact, the latest AAA game I bought was Elden Ring and the latest game I installed was the free-to-play gacha game Honkai Star Rail. Instead of bothering with the latest AAA games, you should try clearing your backlog of older PC games.

Funny you bring up NieR Automata since it for years was one of the worst PC ports ever released. It took like 4-5 years for Square Enix to update the game so that it didn't render at subnative resolution and then have a horrible blurry upscale. Amazing game but the PC port was so garbage you had to use a fan made mod called FAR until Square Enix released a fixed port on PC Game Pass and then a couple of months later put that version on Steam.

1 hour ago, Sol_NB said:

I mean, pretty much every PC port this year was busted in some major way. Dead Space, Harry Potter, Wild Hearts, Calissto. 

Dead Space sucked? I thought that was supposed to be one of the few decent ports this year? Crap 🤣

48 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i simply avoid certain games and publishers (such as EA, From, SE...)

You avoided Elden Ring? Ouch.

Usually I'll prefer PC over console since you can brute force better performance, but that's definitely not the case at launch for a lot of games and sometimes it'll take a year for a PC port to be good. Though the biggest plus for me with PC gaming is being able to play English and Japanese on the same release. Playstation loves to segregate the North American and Japanese releases into two separate games and you almost never see both English and Japanese subtitle and UI options on a Playstation game. So for instance I bought Like a Dragon Ishin on Steam instead of PS5 just to get the option to play in Japanese. Wonder if it's better on XBox. Sony pulls the same crap on their PC ports now too, but I have usually played those on Playstation long before they come to PC anyways.

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You avoided Elden Ring? Ouch.

There's honestly nothing about it that makes me want to play it... wayyyyyy too edgy (like all From games)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

There's honestly nothing about it that makes me want to play it... wayyyyyy too edgy (like all From games)

Different strokes for different folks I guess. It was my second favorite game of the century, behind only Bloodborne, as it kind of fused the exploration aspect of Skyrim or BOTW with the S-Tier combat of the Souls games. I think I have done five playthroughs since launch haha. Has also become a pretty decent PC port now, as I ran it 1800p60 on a 6700 XT on my last playthrough at the beginning of the year. Was a trainwreck at launch on PC though.

54 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. It was my second favorite game of the century, behind only Bloodborne, as it kind of fused the exploration aspect of Skyrim or BOTW with the S-Tier combat of the Souls games. I think I have done five playthroughs since launch haha. Has also become a pretty decent PC port now, as I ran it 1800p60 on a 6700 XT on my last playthrough at the beginning of the year. Was a trainwreck at launch on PC though.

my most played games last 2 years (and im probably missing some)

Fatal Frame 5 (modded with all wii u outfits like zelda ,samus etc, see profile pic)

Tekken 7

SF5

SF6 (ehhh, ummm ... 👀)

Tekken 6 (the GOAT)

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Nioh 2 (for some reason i played a shit ton, even though i found the combat just meh, i like the setting i guess)

RE3

RE2

Fatal Frame 2

ROTTR (yeah, its SE, but that's before it got on to my no buy list permanently) 

Some TR1 mod/remake/demo (awesome) 

Monster Hunter World (think 4000 hours, bowgun main...)

OW2 (just started playing,  500 hours already,  thats totally my thing, western anime "shooter" done right, Mercy main, because she's got the most awesome gun! 😄 )

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

I mean, pretty much every PC port this year was busted in some major way. Dead Space,

Dead space came out in 2009.
It works great. Only like $10 on GOG.

If you want to play the games with the biggest marketing budgets, go console. You've already made up your mind.

If you are capable of having an open mind & exploring other games, keep your PC and check out other games.
Every PC game ever made works on your computer (more or less)

There's probably a billion or more games made for windows pc. There's maybe several hundred or thousand capable of running on the new consoles.

If you can handle a game not having hair flow just right when there's a minor draft when someone farts in your PC game, then you'll find plenty of games that overlook moot details.
If you want the hair to sway just right, and the character to say "Ew, you farted!" buy a console.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

If you want the hair to sway just right, and the character to say "Ew, you farted!" buy a console.

wait... what?!   😀

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

wait... what?!   😀

Games like Witcher have the... so horses have genitals...

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

Games like Witcher have the... so horses have genitals...

10 minutes ago, fpo said:

Ew

🙃

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

They're about as bad as they always were, there's just been a couple high profile examples of them being bad. There's also some pretty recent examples of some very good ports, Spiderman Remastered for instance. Usually the ports get fixed eventually, sometimes it doesn't. Consoles usually just work, though even then there are some examples of the console port being terrible and never getting fixed (Cyberpunk, for instance).

This is very true. There's just a lot of eyes on the issue currently with TLOU, Hogwarts, and Jedi Survivor. The first two are at least playable, Jedi Survivor is a hot mess and is actually a massive issue. That is beyond the norm, the other two are more typically sucky ports, Jedi is SPECIFICALLY exceptionally bad. It runs bad on Console even

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Dead space came out in 2009.
It works great. Only like $10 on GOG.

If you want to play the games with the biggest marketing budgets, go console. You've already made up your mind.

If you are capable of having an open mind & exploring other games, keep your PC and check out other games.
Every PC game ever made works on your computer (more or less)

There's probably a billion or more games made for windows pc. There's maybe several hundred or thousand capable of running on the new consoles.

If you can handle a game not having hair flow just right when there's a minor draft when someone farts in your PC game, then you'll find plenty of games that overlook moot details.

I was referring to the Dead Space Remake that came out this year 

2 minutes ago, Sol_NB said:

I was referring to the Dead Space Remake that came out this year 

I know. 

But it doesn't look that different from 2009. 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

I know. 

But it doesn't look that different from 2009. 

What are you talking about. The graphic's are vastly improved and they changed the gun play too 

2 hours ago, Sol_NB said:

What are you talking about. The graphic's are vastly improved and they changed the gun play too 

FOMO

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer