We owe you an explanation...

James

Buy a AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D: https://geni.us/aeJ3Ava
Buy a AMD Ryzen 9 79550X: https://geni.us/sKLw
Buy an Intel Core i9-13900K: https://geni.us/2nfAP
Buy a Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master Motherboard: https://geni.us/hnnP9hA

CPUs, GPUs, laptops, Macs- everything has a failure rate. Our AMD Ryzen 7950X3D was the victim of the silicon lottery. But there’s more to the story than mere benchmark numbers…

Why didn't you guys put the product name in the video title mannnnnnn. The forced clickbait has gone too far this time!

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I demand an apology cookie!!

😠

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why didn't you guys put the product name in the video title mannnnnnn. The forced clickbait has gone too far this time!

It's the typical LMG video title. We get shit titles that doesn't tell you what the product is on Youtube. While Floatplane gets the proper title with the product name in it (at least, it was last time I checked).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

They are 4 weeks late for the review they need all the bait they can get

Your 13900K results are way higher than what I've seen from other reviews.

Lets take Cyberpunk at 1080p as an example. In your review the 13900K gets 216 fps at Ultra+RT off. Techpowerup clocked the 13900K at 171 fps, also at 1080p Ultra+RT off. That's significant. The same with Far Cry 6. You get 203 fps, while Techpowerup got 178 fps. Paints a very different picture. Link: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d/20.html

Even compared to Anandtech, your 13900K results are way higher. In Hitman 3, you get 397 fps on 1080p Ultra. Anandtech got 331 fps. F1 2022 1080p Ultra - Linus: 242 fps for the 13900K, Anandtech: 138 fps. Again, paints a VERY different picture. Link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/18747/the-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-review-amd-s-fastest-gaming-processor/8

I'm very curious as to how the numbers are so different. We're not talking about margin-of-error here, these significant differences completely change how we look at the 7950X3D in comparison.

Maybe it's because yours has motion blur turned off? 😛

48 minutes ago, WereCat said:

They are 4 weeks late for the review they need all the bait they can get

Yeah but is adding "7950X REVIEW!" to the end of the click bait portion really going to harm things on youtube?

11 minutes ago, RamiHaidafy said:

Your 13900K results are way higher than what I've seen from other reviews.

One is using a 6950 XT, and the other is using a 4090.

Might also be down to some other specific in game setting, or RAM speeds

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 hour ago, James said:

CPUs, GPUs, laptops, Macs- everything has a failure rate. Our AMD Ryzen 7950X3D was the victim of the silicon lottery. But there’s more to the story than mere benchmark numbers…

You are not mentioning any details about the rig configuration temps and bios settings windows version drivers what so ever I am pretty sure that somebody just did something goofy in order for you to be that much off 

17 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Yeah but is adding "7950X REVIEW!" to the end of the click bait portion really going to harm things on youtube?

One is using a 6950 XT, and the other is using a 4090.

Might also be down to some other specific in game setting, or RAM speeds

Both Linus and Techpowerup are using a 4090. Only Anandtech was using a 6950 XT.

Linus used DDR5 6800 while the others are using DDR5 6000 and 5200. But I don't think that would result in such a big difference in fps. From the earlier DDR5 reviews, the difference in gaming performance, especially beyond 6000 mhz was insignificant, as in about 5 fps, not 66.

7 minutes ago, RamiHaidafy said:

Both Linus and Techpowerup are using a 4090. Only Anandtech was using a 6950 XT.

Linus used DDR5 6800 while the others using DDR5 6000 and 5200. But I don't think that would result in such a big difference in fps. From the earlier DDR5 reviews, the difference in gaming performance, especially beyond 6000 mhz was insignificant, as is about 5 fps, not 66.

Does 6800 even reliably run on Ryzen? Subtimings can massively affect performance if they are loose enough... Which they usually are if you're trying to push high speeds and let the motherboard to automatically set them up... Which I would expect their lab to account for this ofc. 

9 minutes ago, RamiHaidafy said:

Linus used DDR5 6800 while the others are using DDR5 6000 and 5200. But I don't think that would result in such a big difference in fps. From the earlier DDR5 reviews, the difference in gaming performance, especially beyond 6000 mhz was insignificant, as in about 5 fps, not 66.

It would result in a considerable difference but it is not true since he vagually mentions that they followed AMD's recommendations (= safeside leaning defaults) which means they probably had a 6000 mhz ram and judging from the results probably a high latency one at that or using 1 stick or something goofy like that e.g he sais that they opted for the frequency ccd and saw better results than the cached ccd which is nonsense in most games even at higher resolution than 1080p... 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Does 6800 even reliably run on Ryzen? Subtimings can massively affect performance if they are loose enough... Which they usually are if you're trying to push high speeds and let the motherboard to automatically set them up... Which I would expect their lab to account for this ofc. 

I meant for the 13900K. Linus used DDR5 6800, while Techpowerup used DDR5-6000 across the board, and Anantech used DDR5 5600.

probably not 1:1 but I wouldnt be surprised to see at least some people run that I mean I saw many people run 6400mhz without issue. 

from reviews i read... pray to the dark pc gods for it ti run at max ddr 5 speed.

the speed for the ddr been all over the place for this cpu

i overall like this video. of yeah we got a massive ltt linus drop cpu dud.

they took the hit on   releasing this early for views etc.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

A processor with more energy-effecient use of core handling is new to the market, but perhaps the 7950X3D was built to provide phased support of California's earlier crackdown, which blocked the ship of energy-hungry PCs.

Fact is AMD probably didn't expect some of their reviewers to receive a defective chip, but plans rarely survive contact with reality.

Why does LTT just skip the intro sometimes?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

I didn't understand why inconsistent CPU clock leads to lower GPU power.. What is the relationship?

11 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Seems it is added now, could be long titles aren't effective for the initial release? other than that, the thumbnail pretty much tells you its about the AMD cpu they didn't review. I do also prefer when the product is somewhere in the title as well, but don't see it as a big issue if they add the name of the product within the first 12hours of release.

new title: We owe you an explanation... Our Ryzen 7950X3D Review is Late but Worth the Wait

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

Bizarre. I wonder if this could be considered a different kind of heterogenous compute to Intel's P/E-core dichotomy and could become a new standard going forward with improvements to scheduling and voltage/thermal regulation regarding the 3D V-Cache die... or I guess it'd be heterogenous cache. I wonder how things would look if the two methods were combined somehow. A die with P-cores without 3D V-cache for maximum frequency, while the more numerous E-cores have that more ample cache to play with? What about vice versa? Or even a mixture of P/E-cores on each die, one with the special sauce and one without?

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

8 minutes ago, Razercake said:

Seems it is added now, could be long titles aren't effective for the initial release? other than that, the thumbnail pretty much tells you its about the AMD

If manifesting is real then surely that cute girl will DM me on instagram tomorrow...

Samwise.gif

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, NvidiaFirePro6900XXTX3DPRO said:

Why does LTT just skip the intro sometimes?

Linus has said on WAN a couple of times that having 7-10 second that people skip over early in the video can hurt the videos performance with the youtube algorithm. 

1 hour ago, Hellgum said:

I didn't understand why inconsistent CPU clock leads to lower GPU power.. What is the relationship?

It's because if the CPU is just not getting enough power to compute, the CPU performance will drop, and so the GPU will not get the data it needs as quickly, so if it is not getting fully utilized, the power will drop.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

4 hours ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

Linus has said on WAN a couple of times that having 7-10 second that people skip over early in the video can hurt the videos performance with the youtube algorithm. 

But the intro music is a bop tho, why would anyone skip it?

17 hours ago, James said:

I thought the review was just. Its a strange product that requires way more than the normal amount of work to tune right. Definitely not anywhere close to the 'drop in best in class' performance of the 5800x3D and likely to be similar to the 7800x3D.

Yeah you can tune PBO on the 7800x3D and squeeze a decent amount of performance out of it, but you don't have to. 7950x3D/7900x3D on the other hand has several layers that need to be setup and functioning for you to maximize performance that are abnormal to any other CPU on the market.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 hour ago, Ankh Tech said:

But the intro music is a bop tho, why would anyone skip it?

SponsorBlock skips it for me, so...

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV