I’m breaking one of my biggest rules..

James
6 minutes ago, inubert said:

In regards to the future proofing hot take, I'll never advocate for buying the top of the line for most people, but if I'm buying an Intel CPU I'm going to assume when it's time to replace it, there's also a new socket and I need to update my motherboard as well. Maybe the RAM too. So I tend to buy a little higher than I might need at the time, I can hold off on several parts, but it likely isn't as cheap as just grabbing a new CPU

Future proof doesn't really exists in tech, is not like a drill for example which today is essentially the same as 50 years ago...

Just look to the AMD Phenom, which was a monster in 2011 and today doesn't even open some games because don't have some instructions.

It's aleatory, parts could be future proof as can be not. My desktop case is from 2001 and handle my Ryzen because ATX still the standard, but what if the standard just changes? 🤷‍♂️

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

2 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

I agree that this is a valid use, but the sensation of speed may be achieved with change of camera fov while you're accelerating and various games are doing exactly this and using some simple blurred lines as "wind", but not exactly motion blur. 

I feel like Linus did omit this part of the problem while he focused specifically on overuse of blur in non-vehicular games where you walk and have blur while turning around...

I play FH5 without motion blur, the car at 60mph feels like 30 because have no blur... 😂

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

2 minutes ago, themrsbusta said:

I play FH5 without motion blur, the car at 60mph feels like 30 because have no blur... 😂

I'm not arguing about whether it's good or bad - it's a matter of preference. I remember it was really cool in NFS Undeground 😄

I seriously don't understand why having a union would mean that someone has failed their employees...

And forming a union doesn't mean that the workers feel that they are being treated poorly. 

1 hour ago, AyoKeito said:

As a 4090 owner i can 100% confirm raytracing is useless.

And i couldn't care less if it allows corporations to throw their expenses on me by forcing me to buy a better GPU while they save a buck on development time.

Do your job. And if you'll have to add less lootboxes and false advertisement to instead make better lighting manually - do it.

How useful raytracing can be would highly depend on the types of games you play. Therefore I would disagree with your absolutist argument. For example in the game The Finals, other technologies (eg. HDR) and game mechanics (eg. destructible levels) which makes ray traced global illumination a useful asset for developers and makes the gameplay more immersive for the player. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

2 hours ago, Asbo Zapruder said:

Linus seems incapable of grasping the simple fact of why his stance on unions is offensive, and it's that IT'S NOT ABOUT HIM.

There's some evidence that unions end up hurting wages and career mobility for higher skilled professionals. 
Compare the salaries of math teachers (mostly union) with a masters degree to software engineers (almost 0 unionization) with a bachelors degree and half as much experience

It's NOT an outright win and the "good guys" aren't necessarily good. In the worst of cases you get a scenario that resembles what happened with the Teamsters (IBT) where it was basically run by organized crime, skims off worker's wages and excludes people of certain ethnicities or backgrounds. It's a set of tradeoffs. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

20 minutes ago, cmndr said:

There's some evidence that unions end up hurting wages and career mobility for higher skilled professionals. 
Compare the salaries of math teachers (mostly union) with a masters degree to software engineers (almost 0 unionization) with a bachelors degree and half as much experience

Not taking sides in this argument, but it's just a correlation and not evidence. Also the type of job is different - often creative (software engineers) vs often not creative (math teachers). Also software engineering is a job connected to creation of a product that is later repeatable and can be sold multiple times and sadly the society is not valuing teachers the same way. Finally how would creating a union even if it was a union of workers in specific workplace, hurt mobility? Just curious what's the angle here.

18 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Not taking sides in this argument, but it's just a correlation and not evidence. Also the type of job is different - often creative (software engineers) vs often not creative (math teachers). Also software engineering is a job connected to creation of a product that is later repeatable and can be sold multiple times and sadly the society is not valuing teachers the same way. Finally how would creating a union even if it was a union of workers in specific workplace, hurt mobility? Just curious what's the angle here.

I was referring to a published economic study study I read a while back. This isn't the same study and it's not EXACTLY the same conclusion but 2 minutes of googlefu spat this out - https://conference.iza.org/conference_files/worldb2008/checchi_d1285.pdf

Whenever unions are stronger (in terms of membership) they are also able to compress the upper tail of income distribution, typically by reducing individual heterogeneity (like that introduced by high returns to education) and expanding objective norms (like seniority rules).

This is almost, but not quite the same as saying unions reduce pay for the highest skilled workers. Compressing the upper tail of the income distribution is essentially pulling wages down for high performers/highly-skilled labor. 

It is possible to make the argument that a good chunk of LMG would fall under the semi-skilled category.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

1 hour ago, themrsbusta said:

I have a question for Linus: If motion blur is only for hide low fps, tell me how to get the speed sensation on racing games without having a huge map, because the cars on these games doesn't really have the "real life speed", otherwise the map would feel much smaller.

Feeling the speed is a good reason for the blur to exist I agree with that, but how many racing games are released compared to any other gender, do you really need the sensation of speed while fighting a boss in Elden ring? Rocket league is also a "racing" but motion blur is only a distraction making it more difficult to see the ball. I guess the argument against motion blur applies for the type of games that are not affected by the lack of it, is motion blur exiting or required in Pokémon games? I don't think MapleStory has a lack of motion blur, my conclusion is that most games are a better experience without it.

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 

GPU - Sapphire PULSE RX 6650 XT

PSU - RM 650 black label 

RAM - Fury Beast RGB 16GB (2 x 8)

SSD - KC 3000 1TB

G915 TKL (Brown switches)

G502 X Lightspeed

Who actually wants to while away the hours playing MAME games?

Spoken like someone who's never played Ninja Baseball Batmen

In regard for side loading hot take, in my opinion side loading is great for tech savvy person but opening risk for non-tech savvy person

The reason is, in my country currently there is many scammer that send APK file via whatsapp message using social engineering (such as package delivery proof, weeding invitation, etc) to scam people to open and install (side loading obviously) the APK and it mainly targeting victim mobile banking that usually use SMS OTP as verification method. In the end, scammer will drain the victim bank account and the bank will not have responsibility for that because it caused by victim "share" the OTP to the scammer

At least make side loading step a bit difficult so it will not easily used in scammer and social engineering

35 minutes ago, aiwiguna said:

In regard for side loading hot take, in my opinion side loading is great for tech savvy person but opening risk for non-tech savvy person

The reason is, in my country currently there is many scammer that send APK file via whatsapp message using social engineering (such as package delivery proof, weeding invitation, etc) to scam people to open and install (side loading obviously) the APK and it mainly targeting victim mobile banking that usually use SMS OTP as verification method. In the end, scammer will drain the victim bank account and the bank will not have responsibility for that because it caused by victim "share" the OTP to the scammer

At least make side loading step a bit difficult so it will not easily used in scammer and social engineering

In Android, you have to specifically enable side loading (wtf is it called side loading, when we had this in PC space since ever) to be able to do so. Not really sure what more you want. 

My hot take. The PC platform is more adept at allowing gamers to access older, and retro games, than it is for modern gaming.

Between the massive back catalogue, and access to emulation with shaders to customize how your game looks, and the recent advances in iGPUs, even a fairly modest, bog-standard laptop can provide an excellent gaming experience, without costing a lot.

Add in that many older games are sold at a deep discount, or even given away, and a smart, patient gamer will be paying a hell of a lot less as well. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Max Rovensky said "MacOS is just plain better for professionals" and Linus answers that MacOS is dogshit for engineers without explaining why. Can anyone in here in the forum explain why. Not saying that Linus is wrong, just curious why Windows is better for engineers.

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

Did Linus forget that Android exists? Literally how is Apple a monopoly?

Apple has a monopoly on iOS devices.

Macs as professional machines.

I have seen macs crash photoshop. A 2018 I wanna say   macbook pro burn its graphics chip on a math teachers laptop that had 3 seprate displays (main laptop, monitor, projector, drawing tablet).

Only place I have seen macs in great benefit audio production.

3 hours ago, Ubersonic said:

Gotta agree with the guy who said the EU were wrong to force USB-C on Apple.  I'm not a fan of Apple but people seem to have short memories, USB-C was not the high speed replacement for micro USB, that was Micro USB 3.0 (an enlarged micro USB port that was still single sided).  The only reason USB-C exists in the first place is because Apple brought out Lightning and embarrassed the USB Implementers Forum into creating a knee jerk reaction port to compete.  Forcing Apple to use USB-C is absolutely going to limit innovation as the only people allowed to innovate a replacement will be the consortium with a track record of **** poor innovation 😞

So in the audio industry we have something called XLR a connector from the early 50's it hasn't change and will not change. It hasnt stopped innovation but lived along side tape, cd and solid state.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

8 minutes ago, iLikeBananas said:

Max Rovensky said "MacOS is just plain better for professionals" and Linus answers that MacOS is dogshit for engineers without explaining why. Can anyone in here in the forum explain why. Not saying that Linus is wrong, just curious why Windows is better for engineers.

Because there is less programs available for engineers. I dont  know any CAD program that works on mac. Besides autocad and fusion. 

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

In Android, you have to specifically enable side loading (wtf is it called side loading, when we had this in PC space since ever) to be able to do so. Not really sure what more you want. 

I think is still too easy for non tech savvy people, they don't really understand what that means to allow unkown sources and the risk because they not read or they just not understand the term

I am not anti side loading, just make it a bit difficult like maybe you need a free developer account to do that in smartphone or make it part of developer mode that need a specific step to unlock it, not just a switch to turn it on in the page that redirected when try to open an unkown sources APK

Yes PC had this capability since ever, but smartphone user is larger than PC especially in developing country, even my mom and grandparent that cannot use PC use smartphone

3 hours ago, poochyena said:

in terms of app stores you can use on the platform, it's a monopoly

1 hour ago, sub68 said:

So in the audio industry we have something called XLR a connector from the early 50's it hasn't change and will not change. It hasnt stopped innovation but lived along side tape, cd and solid state.

That's analog, which is a very different beast than digital.

Same could be said for "Speaker Wire" which...  I mean, has been around as long as speakers.

13 minutes ago, tkitch said:

That's analog, which is a very different beast than digital.

Same could be said for "Speaker Wire" which...  I mean, has been around as long as speakers.

True, I also thought of SDi but... there is different protocol.

My main point is a single universal connector doesnt impead innovation but its just me.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

True, I also thought of SDi but... there is different protocol.

My main point is a single universal connector doesnt impead innovation but its just me.

Digital is a bit different than analog there.

For USB, for example, with the 4 pins of USB 1/2 there were some serious limitations long term.  USB 3's 10 pins go a looot farther.  (All the way to 20gbit, and probably higher in USB 4.)

So for at least the next, say, 5+ years, USB C is MORE than enough.  (And for a phone?  I don't think 10-20gbit will be a limitation to transfers ever.)

5 hours ago, Ubersonic said:

Gotta agree with the guy who said the EU were wrong to force USB-C on Apple.  I'm not a fan of Apple but people seem to have short memories, USB-C was not the high speed replacement for micro USB, that was Micro USB 3.0 (an enlarged micro USB port that was still single sided).  The only reason USB-C exists in the first place is because Apple brought out Lightning and embarrassed the USB Implementers Forum into creating a knee jerk reaction port to compete.  Forcing Apple to use USB-C is absolutely going to limit innovation as the only people allowed to innovate a replacement will be the consortium with a track record of **** poor innovation 😞

A standardized connector won't stifle innovation, USB-C is the better connector now, it allows higher power charging than lightning does. And theres rumors of Apple putting limitations on the USB-C port.

And IMO, Apple is the one harming innovation, with taking away ports and features and making it seem cool to do so, and of course Android manufacturers follow it in order to make a profit, I think things like the 3.5mm jack and replaceable batteries need to come back to phones.

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

Apple has a monopoly on their OS and hardware, you can't sideload apps, or repair your own device.

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Digital is a bit different than analog there.

Yeah BNC connector can do digital and analog video. Just only different protocols.

There is 3g vs 6g sdi...

I know USB 2 vs 3. 

14 minutes ago, tkitch said:

So for at least the next, say, 5+ years, USB C is MORE than enough.  (And for a phone?  I don't think 10-20gbit will be a limitation to transfers ever.)

I agree.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

You all want some hot takes: here you go.

In regards to USB-C on iOS: Apple was not forced to swap to USB-C because of the EU. China (and India) has forced apple to use physical SIM cards for years and they still use esim everywhere else, and China’s market is roughly the same size as the Europe market (which includes the UK and wouldn’t beholden to the same rules). You add India, they far pass Europe. They would have released an EU compliant iPhone and released a lightning connector everywhere else if USB-C wasn’t the plan. This isn’t really a win for the EU. 

And if you’re wondering, YES, you can buy a physical sim iPhone from China (and India) and it will work anywhere else in the world. 

In regards to Apple’s 30%: Google takes 30% too and aren’t a “monopoly” as you can still download other apps on the phone more easily than on iPhone. And before any keyboard warriors want to jump in here and say that when you google it, the top google response is 15% percent, if you read any of the articles, its 15% for your first million. EXACT same as Apple. In fact they copied Apple, Apple lowered it for small developers and Google followed suit. 

And on the same topic, as for subscriptions that go through Apple, ie Spotify, I don’t use them if they demand info elsewhere to pay for them. I use Apple Music because of that reason alone. My Hulu (only video streaming service I pay for) is through them. Because A: I trust Apple’s costumer service over other’s and B: it’s one less point of failure. It’s not that I trust Apple more with my card info, it’s that I HAVE to trust them. So why would I want to put my card info out everywhere if I don’t have to?

Hell, the only reason I subscribed to floatplane through the site is I feel Linus would at least give a shit if they got hacked. Not that I expect him to fork over money, but at least a “I’m sorry this happened” that would feel genuine, compared to the faceless corporate speak of Spotify. Linus, charge for Floatplane through Apple and raise the price. Instead of 5, make it $6.50. I promise more people will sign up for it. 

And finally, C: I like the idea I can press “unsubscribe” on one list of all the subscriptions I’m paying for, and it’s done. Apple goes to Netflix and tells them “yeah, they said kick rocks.” I don’t need to find the one page that has that option, I don’t need five pages of “are you sure, what if we offer this, pause it instead, please tell us why, look our mascot is sad!” bullshit. It’s done. People literally pay Truebill for this feature and it’s built into my phone. And if the company I’m using needs to be charged more for my convenience, I’ve already proven I will not use your service if it’s not an option. So that 30% you have to give up of my money, is worth having the 70% you don’t have now.

In regards to Sideloading on Apple: I do not want that pandora box open at all. I don’t care if it’s restrictive, some restrictions are good. And if you don’t think Meta wouldn’t day one force everyone to download the Meta Store and remove Facebook and instagram and what the hell else they own, from the App Store (and the Google Play store) you’re living in a dream world. And again, before anyone goes “if Meta was gonna on android they would have already…” Marky Mark KNOWS he couldn’t get away with it. A large percentage would JUMP to iPhone where he can’t. And despite the majority android usage, Marky Mark fears Apple. I mean, he sure backed down on that “iPhone users can’t use Facebook if they don’t allow tracking” real quick, and even saw Google copy it as well in Android. But if the EU forces it, it will be Bloatware-palooza. Meta, Epic, Amazon, Samsung, Twitter, and so on. All with their own app stores, with exclusive apps. 

Did you hate hearing that Epic grabbed another game and made it an Epic Store exclusive. Wait until that comes to your phone. You want to side load apps, buy an android, and leave Apple’s walled garden alone. You don’t even know the hell on earth it’s keeping from android users having to experience. 

And I’m a bred in the bone free market capitalist, so if I’m grabbing you gently by both sides of your face and saying “this time, restrictions are a must,” please believe in my confidence in the Atomic Bomb with whom’s wires you are playing jump rope with.

And Lastly, in regards to unions: A: Companies that trust their employees fairly have no fear for unions nor do their employees have use for them. And B: please de aware unions are not magic wands. They are, yes, more powerful voices for their employees, but if the people behind that voice are shitty, so is the voice itself. I’d go on more, but this point will get super political and I don’t want to get banned just yet.