Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

Just now, Kazlehoff said:

This happened the last time something happened to their channel too if i recall. Im not going to watch them. it DOES, however, give an interesting view into the workings of the company.

yeah, i thought about watching them, but decided that since they were privated, they obviously werent for the public, so i didnt

1 minute ago, Kazlehoff said:

This happened the last time something happened to their channel too if i recall. Im not going to watch them. it DOES, however, give an interesting view into the workings of the company.

No not really. 

A bunch of, I assume, unlisted videos just got back up

1 minute ago, Shonk said:

My 26 Year old son has a degree in computer game development and is a programmer for a living and he doesnt know squat

guess who he comes running to when he needs to know something

as i said man i dont want to be sitting here duking it out with the grandma's all day

Lets agree to disagree

You tell em.  No one ever learned anything useful from school. 

giphy.gif.ecba7b575521030aff3e23d6b7343767.gif

Seriously though the weak link in any security is the wet ware, the people.  Either this was spear phishing and social engineering or an attack at the weak link in 2FA.  A weak link that is that way in part so that old people won't be locked out of their accounts forever and ever.  Yes someone being a dumbo is part of hacking. 

8 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

To all the people suggesting people download these privated or deleted videos just stop. It's not some fun game to collect these videos. LMG is a victim of hacking and it's in incredibly poor taste for everyone to be like "Quick download the videos," ESPECIALLY on their own forums and discord.

Yeah. I’m looking through all the people saying to download it and being like wtf people, you gotta have some boundaries.

3 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

True.  One would think it's just a matter of restoring from a versioned backup of some kind.  Odds are it's not that simple.  The infrastructure was built up layer by layer over decades.  I think LTT might even predate Google buying youtube, 2006 so no, but pretty close.  Who knows how many systems on top of systems host various parts of this. 

Yeah that's a fair point. There could be a large amount of technical debt of how the backend systems work. Youtube accounts, Google accounts with Youtube accounts, video editing, flags, everything. Imagine how they would have had to bodge in merging of Google & Youtube accounts into one unified system. Two probably completely different db systems, done live, seamlessly to the user. 

Still though. You would think after 4 years of dealing with disaster recoveries someone could come up with a process to un-fuck it... 

20 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

The hackers did that not YouTube. I was awake this morning while the hackers still had control of the accounts and this was available back then. That said even if it was an error on YouTube's part I think it would be in very bad taste to sue after YouTube went to the trouble of helping them get their channel back so quickly. Less than a day is a very fast turnaround.

You will get tossed out of court suing them. There's a reason the TOS no one reads is written by teams of lawyers. 

It seems to be back to normal! Descriptions are in check, the videos are normal, the weird videos are gone...

What a trip down memory lane were those old videos on top

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

1 minute ago, Middleseed said:

Yeah. I’m looking through all the people saying to download it and being like wtf people, you gotta have some boundaries.

This has been eye opening for the amount of dipshits and outright crappy people that are out there and openly post about it. 

3 minutes ago, lowstrife said:

Which is why this is so shocking to me that the recovery process is this FUBAR. It's unbelievable. 

Honestly this recovery process seems fairly reasonable. As I have stated previously the recovery process probably took as long as it did cause LMG was willingly collaborating with YouTube to get them as much information on how this breach took place and to make sure they didn't have any compromised systems. I am a little surprised the descriptions still have the scam links in them and that the privated / deleted videos are public, but I suspect this was done with Linus's consent in the name of getting back up and running quicker and I am sure YouTube informed him what the state of his channel would be when they brought it back.

What honestly surprises me even more is that they don't have some sort of recovery state they can give the channel back to creators in to allow them control to fix things before publishing the channel to everyone else again. But this IS the same company that took literal years to get superchats to work so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

1 minute ago, Kevo05s said:

It seems to be back to normal! Descriptions are in check, the videos are normal, the weird videos are gone...

What a trip down memory lane were those old videos on top

YES! they did a great job

Techquickie just needs the profile picture to be restored

Screenshot 2023-03-23 202950.jpg

All back to normal guys! IDK why this happened but keep in mind that even though you have a 2FA app. You need to verify evry single thing when it comes to URLs on Emails, even on the top of the address that the browser is showing you. anyways, Back to my LTT ASMR.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 212712.png

Just now, Drazil100 said:

Honestly this recovery process seems fairly reasonable. As I have stated previously the recovery process probably took as long as it did cause LMG was willingly collaborating with YouTube to get them as much information on how this breach took place and to make sure they didn't have any compromised systems. I am a little surprised the descriptions still have the scam links in them and that the privated / deleted videos are public, but I suspect this was done with Linus's consent in the name of getting back up and running quicker and I am sure YouTube informed him what the state of his channel would be when they brought it back.

What honestly surprises me even more is that they don't have some sort of recovery state they can give the channel back to creators in to allow them control to fix things before publishing the channel to everyone else again. But this IS the same company that took literal years to get superchats to work so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised.

This is the same company that allows people to buy ads that link to malicious downloads that appear at the top of search results. My opinion of Google has gone downhill a lot in the past few years at an increasing rate as of late. 

4 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

I completely disagree. No sane person would knowingly sign off on re-publishing those scam links to get 1 more hour of adsense revenue. I find it highly unlikely Linus would knowingly agree to that.

I suspect what happened is the recovery spat out what it spat out. Then the guy from Youtube dumped it onto LTT's lap "here you go" and the LTT team had to scramble to fix it. 

A lot of the videos that are up still have the sketchy link to some crypto/Tesla website. Just an FYI. The one of you holding your son, the "flying baby" one was super cute though. ❤

1 minute ago, lowstrife said:

I completely disagree. No sane person would knowingly sign off on re-publishing those scam links to get 1 more hour of adsense revenue. I find it highly unlikely Linus would knowingly agree to that.

I suspect what happened is the recovery spat out what it spat out. Then the guy from Youtube dumped it onto LTT's lap "here you go" and the LTT team had to scramble to fix it. 

Sounds like google tbh

My Rig: 2x Xeon x5690 @ 3.45Ghz 24GB DDR3 EEC RAM Asus STRIX GeForce GTX 970 SuperMicro X8DT3 Windows Server 2008 R2

Here's a little TL;DR of what you need to know about the GTX 970 and R9 390

R9 390 works better in VRAM-bound scenarios and compute bound scenarios and is best paired with higher end processors

GTX 970 works better in CPU-bound scenarios and tessellation bound scenarios and is best paired with lower end processors

Just checked channels Seam to be recovered partially

85F6ED32-AEF3-496F-A6FE-EBADC701D20D.png

EB0E8F72-44E9-4108-8DB1-590AEF1CCF35.png

7 minutes ago, Shonk said:

as i said man i dont want to be sitting here duking it out with the grandma's all day

Then why are you? You have agreed to disagree multiple times already. Either you agree to disagree or you want to everyone to believe you know what you are talking about. You can't have it both ways.

9 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

Then why are you? You have agreed to disagree multiple times already. Either you agree to disagree or you want to everyone to believe you know what you are talking about. You can't have it both ways.

People like you keep chiming in and wont let it rest is why

i dont care what some random on the internet thinks about me thats the difference between me and you

and tbh if you think the term "hacked" covers someone running a trojan i dont care what you think for sure

In the same manner of someone saying guys i got shot

when it turns out they shot their selves in the foot

Just now, Shonk said:

People like you keep chiming in and wont let it rest it why

am total lost. context?

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

update on the situation Linus Tech tips is back but in a more limited state also there's another Channel if you search ltt or Linus Tech tips on YouTube you might get some fake videos from a channel that changes its name every time

9 minutes ago, KunLibertad said:

All back to normal guys! IDK why this happened but keep in mind that even though you have a 2FA app. You need to verify evry single thing when it comes to URLs on Emails, even on the top of the address that the browser is showing you. anyways, Back to my LTT ASMR.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 212712.png

Still missing the last 2 videos though.