Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

1 minute ago, rogerwilco91 said:

So, can someone answer my question? Would implementing passkeys have reduced the surface area for this hack? 

The details of what occurred haven't been released yet, so while people could speculate nobody would be able to answer that right now.

If it was a session hijack like some people have been speculating then no it probably would not have helped. Session hijacking (aka cookie stealing) is like the equivalent of pulling the laptop out of somebodies hands and running away with it, being able to access anything they were currently logged in to on the laptop - only digitally instead of physically. Whether logged in by a passkey or password it wouldn't matter as they're stealing the bit that a website uses to track that you are logged in and authorised, not the login details (password/passkey) that would allow them to log in.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, rogerwilco91 said:

So, can someone answer my question? Would implementing passkeys have reduced the surface area for this hack? 

It depends. I am sure LMG has gone well above the average YouTuber in securing their account. It depends on how the attacker gained access to their account. If it is as some people speculated that they stole cookies and tricked YouTube into thinking they were logged in under one of LMG's employee sessions then chances are no ammount of beefing up their login security would have saved them. We still don't know however how they gained access.

2 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

am sure LMG has gone well above the average YouTuber in securing their account

It's alright Linus has been watching YouTube all day on cookie stealing and will be speaking on the topic with authority on the wan show in 15 hours.

2 minutes ago, tsk said:

It's alright Linus has been watching YouTube all day on cookie stealing and will be speaking on the topic with authority on the wan show in 15 hours.

That's IF he properly identified how they were hacked. He has already stated that he wants to get the details right before he covers the subject. I suspect that if they don't have all the details by tomorrows wan show that he will meme about it all show without ever actually talking about the hack. If this happens then I suspect he will post a dedicated video on the hack.

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The details of what occurred haven't been released yet, so while people could speculate nobody would be able to answer that right now.

If it was a session hijack like some people have been speculating then no it probably would not have helped. Session hijacking (aka cookie stealing) is like the equivalent of pulling the laptop out of somebodies hands and running away with it, being able to access anything they were currently logged in to on the laptop - only digitally instead of physically. Whether logged in by a passkey or password it wouldn't matter as they're stealing the bit that a website uses to track that you are logged in and authorised, not the login details (password/passkey) that would allow them to log in.

10 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

It depends. I am sure LMG has gone well above the average YouTuber in securing their account. It depends on how the attacker gained access to their account. If it is as some people speculated that they stole cookies and tricked YouTube into thinking they were logged in under one of LMG's employee sessions then chances are no ammount of beefing up their login security would have saved them. We still don't know however how they gained access.

12 minutes ago, ccs46 said:

Based on what we're hearing in that it was Hijacked Cookies, no. 

Got it. Thanks guys! I should've realized my mistake that we really don't have any context as to how the hack took place, so answering my question is nearly impossible at the moment. 

Next WAN is gonna be 🔥 🔥 🔥

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: RTX 3090 FE | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: LOADS of drives: SSD + HDD | PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850 W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

Guys i am able to see linus's channel with all videos exactly like how they were i think the channel is recovered

Screenshot_2023_0324_105128.png

IMG_20230324_105036.jpg

4 minutes ago, Alfun omega said:

Guys i am able to see linus's channel with all videos exactly like how they were i think the channel is recovered

thats been the last 2 pages of discussion, and its posted in the announcement at the top of the thread...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Ohh... please do a Tech link episode one this.

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

4 minutes ago, WickedLightning08 said:

This thread should be locked. There is enough discussion done about this topic

There will probably be more worth discussing once they cover what happened in detail on the main channel either on WAN or in a dedicated video.

Sooo…. What time is the wan show scheduled for tomorrow? Is there like a schedule I can see somewhere? I’ve caught the last couple about a half hour into the stream due to sheer luck but I think I’m going to want to see the next one.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

4 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Sooo…. What time is the wan show scheduled for tomorrow? Is there like a schedule I can see somewhere? I’ve caught the last couple about a half hour into the stream due to sheer luck but I think I’m going to want to see the next one.

They don't really have a schedule. What I do is I watch on Twitch and I just open their channel up in it's own window so that it automatically starts playing as soon as they go live. (it needs to be in it's own window so the page is the active tab otherwise it won't load the stream until you tab back to it)

I mean don't want something on the internet

don't put it there to begin with 

If you get scam links or anything like that, you can report it to your government as well as to Antivirus websites like Bit defender/ Microsoft, or google.

Hope this helps anyone

image.thumb.png.f36a1cf5a27629cd657a0908b9d5ee29.png

1 minute ago, Legitsu said:

I mean don't want something on the internet

don't put it there to begin with 

You know there is some degree of privacy expected when you upload a video and make it “private.” How else are content creators suppose to text certain aspects of their videos or have internal videos. Hell, a ton of colleges and businesses have videos that are unlisted as they are only intended to be accessed within a specific webpage.

Main Gaming Machine

4 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

You know there is some degree of privacy expected when you upload a video and make it “private.” How else are content creators suppose to text certain aspects of their videos or have internal videos. Hell, a ton of colleges and businesses have videos that are unlisted as they are only intended to be accessed within a specific webpage.

There is also embargo's. Where a video is done, uploaded and rendered on the platform. But not "published" or marked private until a specified time. Or videos which had been expected to be taken down. Plenty of tricky subjects. They're fortunate there seems to not really have been anything amiss with what was public for a time period. That could have caused some serious problems were an embargo'd review leaked by no fault of their own. I could only imagine the legal shitshow that would entail. 

Also really goes to show how important thumbnails are for a channel and the "clickability"  of a video. Seeing the a\b difference is wild. 

2 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

If you get scam links or anything like that, you can report it to your government as well as to Antivirus websites like Bit defender/ Microsoft, or google.

Hope this helps anyone

image.thumb.png.f36a1cf5a27629cd657a0908b9d5ee29.png

Out of curiosity, how would this even work? It is a Canadian owned company on a U.S. owned platform - whose jurisdiction would this even be? What is entailed in this “investigation”?

Main Gaming Machine

9 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

expecting privacy on the internet

hahahhaha hah aha hah hah ah ah ah aahhh 

WAN show? On YT? How? I'm not on FP, and given the recent influx I doubt they can handle that as we've seen several messages about not being able to sub there. Hopefully they can use an existing channel, but we'll have to see. Given my timezone I won't watch live anyway, hopefully they'll link it from the forums?

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Just now, Legitsu said:

expecting privacy on the internet

hahahhaha hah aha hah hah ah ah ah aahhh 

It was perfectly private until the channel was hacked. Seems pretty logical to state that the expected privacy was upheld until irregular circumstances occurred. Nothing worth arguing about, just an observation and an opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own just as they are entitled to voice said opinion.

Main Gaming Machine

when the future of big networks become full infested of scams and hacks, so everyone leaves.

21 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Out of curiosity, how would this even work? It is a Canadian owned company on a U.S. owned platform - whose jurisdiction would this even be? What is entailed in this “investigation”?

DeepDotWeb shut down: administrators suspected of receiving millions of  kickbacks from illegal dark web proceeds | Europol

This is what happens. All the different countries work together and shut it down either by raiding the servers in extreme cases or asking the service to shut it down. They can execute warrants to shut these sites down. This kind of thing happens a lot (Image: an example of what that can look like), so in other words, it doesn`t matter where you are. (This is an extreme case example as this is in relation to the dark web, but still, this is how it works)

2 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

WAN show? On YT? How? I'm not on FP, and given the recent influx I doubt they can handle that as we've seen several messages about not being able to sub there. Hopefully they can use an existing channel, but we'll have to see. Given my timezone I won't watch live anyway, hopefully they'll link it from the forums?

Wan show should also be on twitch and if you have Spotify it looks like there is both sound and video there for the wan show.

A1217156-48DE-4FEE-944D-C165E061A44D.png

Main Gaming Machine