Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

4 minutes ago, Sant_HH said:

Here is mine with the number of characters redacted (for security reasons, if they want to crack my password it will be way more difficult if they need to guess the number of characters) :

image.png.b7434877328d3f7f326e2aaf2d5d8cae.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

11 minutes ago, ramm said:

So when will the bitcoins be refunded?

10 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

its got number, characters,  and a whole lot a shit that makes it seem like a barcode

Perhaps malware then? Or a password store was stolen from you and you didn’t have 2FA?

Whatever the case I hope you figured it out or will so you can recover fully and harden your security.

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Here is mine with the number of characters redacted (for security reasons, if they want to crack my password it will be way more difficult if they need to guess the number of characters) :

Along come quantum computing and its cracked before it even starts

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I have never been hacked...

As long as you are careful it should be fine.

And my passwords are very very long and each website account has a different password...

Every single person who has yet to be hacked has “never been hacked”.

Also please don’t confuse hacking with cybercrime. Hacking is hardly ever done for account theft.

10 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

Here's a security tip: Don't type passwords for your websites into other websites designed solely to capture and analyze passwords...

And people then act suprised when they get hacked. SMH

current rig (march 2023)

case: Corsair obsidian 750D   mobo: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming   cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x   cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240   memory: G.skill 32GB DDR4-3000   gpu: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3  PSU: seasonic X-series 850W

1 minute ago, moosa1991 said:

i believe the way they hack the accounts is they copy your saved passwords from google chrome ect not the password has been hacked so when you go onto a website the password is already saved for you it clones the database of every password and once in changes your two factor verification so u cannot just change the password again 

really when a number is changed youtube should send a text or email asking if you confirm the two factor verification and if no then u can change your password but if they already had access to the email addresses passwords ect then no point

LMG uses 2FA meaning if someone DID get a saved password from some password manager SOMEONE would have had to give them the short verification code. Speculation is that they essentially stole their browser cookies used for maintaining their login session to trick google into thinking the hackers were the person whose session was stolen. This would bypass the login process entirely.

Just now, CoolJosh3k said:

Also please don’t confuse hacking with cybercrime. Hacking is hardly ever done for account theft.

I have been on the internet for 20 years and it didn't happen yet...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

2 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

LMG uses 2FA meaning if someone DID get a saved password from some password manager SOMEONE would have had to give them the short verification code. Speculation is that they essentially stole their browser cookies used for maintaining their login session to trick google into thinking the hackers were the person whose session was stolen. This would bypass the login process entirely.

Or Google's 2FA has a security vulnerability that allows you to bypass without even a session token. There are many points of entry, some more secure than others. Given how frequently large channels get hijacked, I wouldn't rule it out.

1 minute ago, CoolJosh3k said:

Hacking is just an example of cybercrime. By definition, hacking is just gaining unauthorised access to some computer system. Finding someone's password on a sticky note and using it is hacking. 

1 minute ago, Drazil100 said:

it happened to a smaller youtuber and they showed how it happened and was quiet interesting how they are doing this but im surprised they did it to LMG

13 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I have never been hacked...

As long as you are careful it should be fine.

And my passwords are very very long and each website account has a different password...

do u realy Know that u havent been hacked? Do u know abaut haveivebenpawned?

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You all need to step up your game.

image.png.2ebce1112c5edec6001ace1e44efeba4.png

10 minutes ago, XenZibe said:

Good advice, but that site is fine. There's no network requests happening when you type in the box. A lot of these strength tests are done using javascript run in the browser to detect strength. Every website does this already. It's nothing new.

Unless the site itself gets hijacked and malicious code is added. Pretty huge target that would net a LOT of passwords, if only someone were to compromise it.

Thankfully a password alone is rarely much use.

41 minutes ago, WTFX said:

I swear the thumbnail to the left of Riley's looks like Linus too lmao, I had to take multiple takes

Even worse next to the ted k Unabomber one is the movie internship... Missed an opportunity there I think. 🤣

Sadly, I can't scan the QR code on my flip phone, how on earth do I get to win all that Bitcoin 😔 Truly is a sad day. Enjoy your riches, gang

5 minutes ago, Trahor said:

Funny to see all your million trillion years passwords, can't wait to see some quantum computer cracking them in .2second

That's not how quantum computers work. The risk to current encryption the pose is on a more fundamental level of software than passwords.

3 minutes ago, CoolJosh3k said:

Unless the site itself gets hijacked and malicious code is added. Pretty huge target that would net a LOT of passwords, if only someone were to compromise it.

Thankfully a password alone is rarely much use.

Password + IP address. Big bit of info there if you can link those IP addresses to email addresses, usernames, or other site logins. And there are plenty of such databases out there if you're so inclined to look. Let's not kid ourselves, being security conscious these days is not as straightforward as we'd all like to think it is. That's why it's recommended to change your unique, strong passwords frequently anyway.

2 minutes ago, Robonwars said:

do u realy Know that u havent been hacked? Do u know abaut haveivebenpawned?

Even if information of some accounts of mine ended up on there nothing was hacked yet + i change my passwords all the time.

And considering that i use different passwords for different services i see no reason to worry.

2 minutes ago, Trahor said:

Funny to see all your million trillion years passwords, can't wait to see some quantum computer cracking them in .2second

I know right? People conveniently seem to forget about the amazing innovations and progress Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are making year after year when it comes to analyzing their password strength. Computers keep getting more and more powerful every single year while we are well beyond the limits of how long of a password the average human can memorize.

If people aren't using 2FA they are playing an EXTREMELY dangerous game. If your password can't be cracked now give it a few more years.

11 minutes ago, daniel37parker said:

Along come quantum computing and its cracked before it even starts

“For most cyber criminals the cost of accessing the quantum computing power is going to put it out of their reach, plus the need to resort to such sophisticated tools is not currently there,” says Will Richmond-Coggan, a litigator at law firm Freeths.

This is because the majority of cyber criminals focus on low-hanging fruit, where information can be accessed using traditional methods like social engineering or phishing. Experts agree those using quantum computing for nefarious means will mainly be nation state actors or state-sponsored groups looking to access highly sensitive information that could potentially affect national security. 

Source: https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/cyber-security/370298/what-is-steal-now-crack-later-quantum-computing