Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

3 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

I was watching the stream just because I wanted to see how 

No, I was jut watching the fake stream, It got taken down while I was watching it. I dont even know which channel this is.

it was tec lLinked i think the other got banned an hour ago

Edited by Robonwars

Just now, Helpful Tech Witch said:

The channel was down, a stream watcher might not notice for a bit because YouTube didn’t force down the stream too. 

I saw it was terminated an hour ago

I think it was one of Linus's other channels. I just assessed the account like 10 mins ago.

Omg, it's a signature!

1 hour ago, Delano.888 said:

That's the TQ channel, it always had around that number of subs.

Ah okay well the actual channel has been terminated

1 minute ago, Thaldor said:

Same as with Apple ID, as long as you have gained "trusted" sign in, they won't ask twice while changing the security options because it would be "inconvenient and hard for common users to input their login credentials multiple times".

Yeah.  I can see that.  Without me being around someone like my dear old mother would've been utterly locked out of her devices and accounts multiple times.  

As I recall from when she had a Mac though... she needed to have another apple device to do the password reset which was a real pain in the back. 

It's probably been said, but it's amazing how careful they are and yet this still happened. A newer employee could have clicked a malicious email link, Linus could have leaked the password on The WAN Show, who knows. It's just scary how this happened to such a careful and tech savvy group of people. It really can just happen to anyone. 

Well glad I bought in popcorn this is proving highly interesting.  

Wonder if they purged the gmail accounts while they had access... or copied contacts.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

It's probably been said, but it's amazing how careful they are and yet this still happened. A newer employee could have clicked a malicious email link, Linus could have leaked the password on The WAN Show, who knows. It's just scary how this happened to such a careful and tech savvy group of people. It really can just happen to anyone. 

YouTube is known for social engineering and security issues on their end, it probably had nothing to do with LMG at all

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I am sure we  will get some sort of video out of it telling us what happened and how to prevent it in the future, But I remember seeing at one point they had talked about how there were only like 3 people who were supposed to have access to everything so it will be interesting for sure.

8 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

Wait what?  I'm pretty sure you need at least the old password to change the password.   Like normally.  The hackers have to be doing something out of the ordinary.  

IF one could just click change password and not enter anything you'd have a point.  I know this because I have to change it for my forgetful old mother all the time. 

Not sure if this is the exact thing they're referencing, but this exists:

I thought this was silly and dumb when I noticed the problem 2.5 hours ago this AM.  Now it is almost 10am EDT and it's not resolved and I am mad for LTT.  I know that Youtube has account reps for channels of this size.  This is what an account rep is for.  An account rep is someone who you should be able to call in a pinch and they would be able to escalate to on-call Eng / IT to stop a problem like this.  Maybe all of the content doesn't become unhidden immediately.  Sure.  Whatever.  But the fact that hours in to this the channel logo, tag, and live stream with plutocrats like Elon promoting crypto garbage is live is inexcusable.  Put up a damn maintenance page message on the channel that informs confused viewers that the channel will return later.  Google should at least be able to do that right away.

Just now, littleneutrino said:

I am sure we  will get some sort of video out of it telling us what happened and how to prevent it in the future, But I remember seeing at one point they had talked about how there were only like 3 people who were supposed to have access to everything so it will be interesting for sure.

hope linus or someone would just get their phone and record something to LMG clips since its still up. or maybe a another website like twitter and post the link here

r/LinusTechTips - I SPAT MY DRINK OUT TO THE LAST COMMENT LOL!

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

This notice just popped up for me, what counts as conspiracy? Speculations about how it might have happened?

2023-03-23_14-48-09.png

I did some digging on the wallets they listed and it looks like about 37 people fell for this. You can also see the wallet totals. It could be that they use multiple wallets, but they didn't change for me, when refreshing their page.

image.png.68c21ef16fa9517e6c1d5ead332ede68.pngimage.png.25d6750c64075374580af7e6a2e18bcc.pngimage.png.20350ce0139b4f95521556ad36862a03.png

Edited by FSP
The ethereum screenshot was a duplicate (because I just entered the tether address, without noticing it was the same wallet)

Another youtuber got hacked a month ago with the same and he said it took him over a week to get his channel back as two factor verification failed on him and they changed his details he said a company sent him a game to try and promote on his channel and the virus software said it was fine but it copied all his details and they got in that way

6 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

They just terminated Linus's account?

Screenshot 2023-03-23 9.36.02 AM.png

Standard practice. Sammers had control of the account and where attempting to trick people out of money. Using Elon Musk and Jack Dorsey's names as well. Youtube can always recover an account after termination. A lot easier than recovering an account after scammers delete it. That happened to a major account a while back, someone hacked it, tried to ransom it, when the YTer refused they nuked the account. YT was able to get it back up, but it took time and some videos were lost.

I assume with how big the channel is, They should be back up in time for WAN show on friday.

In the mean time... Check out Floatplane

Just now, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Nvm, LMG clips is still up as it was not hacked.

And Mac Adress

Omg, it's a signature!

2 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Well that was the last of the accounts. There are no more LTT accounts up.

they have a few accounts left that are not yet effected like short circuit, mac address, and channel superfun they could end up going the same way anytime now

i believe this is why linus has all the backup servers for all his videos but he may lose a lot of subscribers IF youtube can get his account back

3 minutes ago, Noamazia said:

hope linus or someone would just get their phone and record something to LMG clips since its still up. or maybe a another website like twitter and post the link here

Channel Super Fun? Or is that too soon. 

All jokes aside hope LMG and YouTube fix this soon and make a video highlighting the issues.