Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

I hope you can restore your channels quickly without any dataloss.

Best of luck!

Everyone is discussing whether or not they will be able to recover the channel. That's the easy part. What I want to know is how they got hacked in the first place and if LMG is compromised beyond just the youtube channel.

3 minutes ago, Prariedog13 said:

Luke is over there telling them to hold off on the recovery because floatplane memberships are skyrocketing.

Trying to watch some videos on FP, seems they may be having some back-end problems, by stream is rather laggy

Just now, Drazil100 said:

Everyone is discussing whether or not they will be able to recover the channel. That's the easy part. What I want to know is how they got hacked in the first place and if LMG is compromised beyond just the youtube channel.

if thiojoe's twitter reply is anything to go by, likely a vulnerability

I would be surprised if it was otherwise a phishing attack

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Yeah both of which I am concerned about and changing passwords will be the next thing to do if LTT forum was affected by the YT breach considering they also accessed Techquickie and Techlinked. 

It's likely that the ltt account was connected to techquickie and techlinked, either on the same google account or as a backup email, so that's how they would have gotten access. I would guess mac address and shortcircuit are on different accounts as they are newer channels. I'm not sure why channel super fun wouldn't have been hacked then because that is older than techquickie I believe. Maybe they're afraid of dennis.

8 minutes ago, CSwords said:

Do we know if our details are safe regarding email address and passwords for things like this forum and Floatplane? I'm no cybersecurity expert (or novice), but if their network is vulnerable couldn't they get access to forum & floatplane account information?

9 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Are the forums affected and users should change their passwords?? I know I haven't been able to login at all this morning due to high server load message. 

1 minute ago, SilverbloodZero said:

is LTT forums Compramised or Only Youtube Side?

Only LMG Youtube accounts have been compromised. Forums as well as Floatplane are hosted on dedicated servers. Not on Google and not on LMG in-house servers. Any messages of high load are just that, masses of people coming to forums. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

wooooooooooooah im not sure that pfp is appropriate my friend

what's the matter with it

Devops Engineer Outa UK 💬

4 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I was wonder WTH "Tesla" was doing giving me notifications.   Never thought to click on them. 

Well on the bright side @LinusTech their will be interest in some security related content.  At least a few days worth of videos about this.  I hope you get your channel back and are recording the process.   Though I can't imagine that LTT wasn't using every kind of multi factor, biometric, security keyed thing to protect the crown jewels. 

HTH did hackers get past all of that? 

The thing is that once the attacker acquire the cookie (there is a "fake sponsorship" hack going on), they don't have to know the password to change it. Same with 2FA, they can just change it to their own.

24 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Yes, it happened when they were on location picking blueberries. Here's the link, not that it's very useful right now:

https://www.youtube.com/?embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flinustechtips.com%2F

ok, maybe im being way to paranoid but is that link legit? i clicked it and all it did was go to youtube.com and now im kinda low key worried (im not trying to call you a hacker just worried alittle)

This is bad, really bad, I was searching to see the latest stream and couldn't find the video.

Tried searching LTT and Linus Tech Tips and the only thing popping out was livestream about Tesla and Elon musk.

Hope someone from the team sees it and at least notifies it via Instagram/Twitter or other platforms and or channels.

Just made and account in the forum to report it.

2 hours ago, Ls_2011 said:

They have all their video's backuped on multiple locations. so worst case they can reupload everything

Not needed , youtube keeps the videos even if you delete them , they can be restored easy

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

Only LMG Youtube accounts have been compromised. Forums as well as Floatplane are hosted on dedicated servers. Not on Google and not on LMG in-house servers. Any messages of high load are just that, masses of people coming to forums. 

Thanks for replying back as you never know how deep the damage goes with hacking and considering the high server load messages I got this morning appears to just have been the flood of people replying on the forums here that LLT YT channels were hacked (like the insane amount of replies to this thread already).

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, Jammy Dodger said:

Trying to watch some videos on FP, seems they may be having some back-end problems, by stream is rather laggy

Likely an influx of people coming over from youtube. 

turns out the main channel getting hacked unintentionally ddosed forums and floatplane.

So first the big R controversy and now the Big L?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, Anzuni said:

ok, maybe im being way to paranoid but is that link legit? i clicked it and all it did was go to youtube.com and now im kinda low key worried (im not trying to call you a hacker just worried alittle)

No just because the ltt channel is currently not on youtube that link won't work, and youtube will just redirect you to the home page.

i am just hoping we get a deep dive on how this did happen and who is responsible for it. and i hope, again, no one gets fired. im logging out and i wish all the best for all staff, cya 

Just now, Prariedog13 said:

Likely an influx of people coming over from youtube. 

turns out the main channel getting hacked unintentionally ddosed forums and floatplane.

Yeah, I'd assume it's due to the increased backend load, and as such is likely the reason why the forum was "down" temporarily earlier.

FP subscriptions up 200 now in ~30mins

7 minutes ago, pcislocked said:

so at the end they arent that smart

Good video about how this isn’t run by hackers or particularly intelligent people: 

Basically these people only care about a quick and dirty job. They want as little effort as possible and are never going to care about minor details that real victims wouldn’t notice anyway.

I very highly doubt there was any actual hacking involved at all.

2 minutes ago, Tieox said:

So first the big R controversy and now the Big L?

There was no such thing.

1 minute ago, dragonhart6505 said:

That YouTube STILL hasn’t shut down the stream is freaking mind boggling. Who is the REAL problem here?

image.png.e1941de15b1a88866c45457cac382b2d.png

looks like it's private now

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s