Polygon jumped the gun on the new Unreal Tournament [Updating as more news comes out]

Rafy

"For years, we’ve wanted to reboot Unreal Tournament, but we knew we had to do it in concert with developers and the mod community, and in an environment that sets them up with the proper tools to make it happen," Polge told Polygon. "Given the recent launch of UE4, we think this is the right time to move forward." 

Epic's goal is to develop the game in public and in collaboration with players and development students who can begin their involvement with the game today in Epic's forums, where the company is ready to talk about design and more. 

"Our first development goal is to get a basic version of Unreal Tournament deathmatch up and running to provide a basis for iteration and further development," Polge said. 

"If you’re a member of the UE4 community, you can participate or just follow our progress on the live GitHub fork. You can also get started extending or modding the code as it becomes functional."

Epic's decision to build the game in public isn't the only change that reflects the passage of time. Unreal Tournament will be free — but not free-to-play, according to the developer. 

"Free means free — no microtransactions," he said. "Just free."

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/8/5695404/unreal-tournament-new-2014-free-unreal-engine-4-epic-games

"Unreal Tournament won't be available for some time, but as soon as there's a playable alpha, Epic will launch it so anyone can play. Fans can also contribute feedback in Epic's forums if they aren't development-minded."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/..._medium=social

Here’s the plan:

• We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.

• From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.

• If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.

• All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.

• The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.

• Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

So what’s the catch?

• It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.

• When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.

• We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out. Things will probably definitely go wrong from time to time, and when they do, we’ll have to work through them together. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make, and not every feature will make it into the game. But if you’re a fan of Unreal Tournament, a UE4 developer, or a future modder – or if you just want to learn how we make games – we hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be fun.

Want to get involved?

• Want more detail on the project? Read our wiki.

• Want to participate & give feedback? These forums are the place to do it. Sign up for a free account here to join Unreal Engine 4 community.

• Just interested in getting updates? Subscribe to our newsletter.

• In case you want to check out the classic Unreal Tournament games, we’ve put them on sale on Steam.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4474-The-Future-of-Unreal-Tournament

It's going to be available for Windows,Linux and Mac.

They are also working on Oculus Rift integration and maybe Project Morpheus if I heard correctly.

They have been made a lot of comments about how this is open source but for now the github project page is only available to people with a UE4 sub.

Update 1: The original composers are back!

Both Michiel and Alex have worked together as key composers in Unreal, Unreal Tournament and the original Deus Ex

Hi!

My name is Michiel van den Bos and one of the two main composers for the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It's been a while and my memory's a bit foggy, but my music has been featured in classic maps like Curse][, Codex, Facing Worlds, Tempest and many others. I've been composing for games ever since, including the universally praised soundtrack for Age of Wonders 3.

I'm writing here because I was getting messages and e-mails telling me I should, due to the announcement of the new UT.

I was wondering if there is any interest in me getting involved and I'm sure I can get Alex to join in too.

If so, I'd be happy to continue a discussion here or off-forum at mikebossmusic[at]gmail.com.

Thank you for your attention and best regards,

Michiel van den Bos

Michiel,

Of course we would be thrilled to have you and Alex involved in this project! The music you guys made always invokes tremendous nostalgia for me - I'm always instantly transported back to playing UT. How are you interested in participating?

Steve

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4828-Music-%28Original-Unreal-UT-Composer%29&p=34242&viewfull=1#post34242

Developed with players, oh no, one more forever alpha game.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Developed with players, oh no, one more forever alpha game.

It's going to be more like them avoiding to make something the community does not want, so they hold open discussions with the player base. Plus the github stuff is going to work by by forking the original, if Epic sees a cool piece of code they'll ask you if they can use it.

"Free means free — no microtransactions," he said. "Just free."

This is AWESOME

moddable etc just free they are basically giving it away !!!

wohoooooooooooo

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's going to be more like them avoiding to make something the community does not want, so they hold open discussions with the player base. Plus the github stuff is going to work by by forking the original, if Unreal sees a cool piece of code they'll ask you if they can use it.

Just upgrade the last UT and then add on top of it after you do that.  :lol:

-snip-

They want to show off their fancy engine so that devs use it more  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

yeah i noticed that its basically publicity

i really hope its fully fledged like the old UT games ( vehicles etc )

im soo happy for this

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i will be updading the OP as more info comes out, so keep an eye out.

So the next UT is an engine showcase?

Works for me, especially if it gets lots of players and takes on Quake Live.

After the amount of games that licence/use previous iterations of UT engine it can only help to polish it as much as possible by getting more users and input, I believe it will profit them in the long run.

Whatever happened to making money, its nice thats there is no transations but i want them to make money even if its only cosmetic stuff i would like for them to actually make some money in return.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Such an interesting way to "pay for the game" by purchasing user created content.

Really can't wait for this game, UT99 and UT2004 are two of my all time favourite games, will be so much fun to get back into it again.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Sweet, maybe we'll finally have a good arena shooter again. And with the UT veterans in the mix it wont be another UT3 which was a quite pretty game but ultimately failed to be a good arena shooter. Hoping for Rankin and Deck 16 on the map list, Face will obviously be there.

Finally, 'bout time! :D I expected it alongside UE4. I'm also so excited about free and mods not to mention devs with players.

Check my thread :)

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?4631-Mandatory-expectations-amp-ideas

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Plot twist: it's on UPlay only.

Finally a reason for me to show my face around the epic forums again.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

"PC exclusive" I can FEEL the peasant's tears

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Epic? Doing a PC centric game? A proper Unreal Tournament? With mod support as it's revenue stream? What the actual fuck it's like I woke up in the year 2000

I can't express how accurate that is.

I don't know if I deserved to be burned alive for this, but DOTA 2 was the first thing that popped into my head while reading the article

Except for those damn treasure keys, ¬_¬

I really like this business idea, not only it creates a large userbase at the beginning, cause  'ya know, it's free, but it also creates a quite strong community if the only way to make revenue is to push your players to do something, not to buy something, the user is truly the end, not the medium.

GG Epic, GG

So UT is an engine showcase?

Fixed

Epic? Doing a PC centric game? A proper Unreal Tournament? With mod support as it's revenue stream? What the actual fuck it's like I woke up in the year 2000

2004 to be precise

I'm excited for this, I reckon this will be the shooter to play, not that hunk of shit that UT3 was. Oddly enough UT3 had one thing over 2004 for me, and that's facing worlds. I'd be keen to see that map again

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I'm booting up Ye' old Dreamcast as we speak. I almost forgot how good the old Unreal Tournament games were. UT 1999 is truly a thing of beauty. Now only if I could find me UT 2004 disk.

Cpt.Doom Reporting in!

I'm booting up Ye' old Dreamcast as we speak. I almost forgot how good the old Unreal Tournament games were. UT 1999 is truly a thing of beauty. Now only if I could find me UT 2004 disk.

I still have a UT 2004 disc hahaha

Well I still have a lot of discs, main reason I need an optical drive :ph34r:

I'm not old! :(

Well, what's wrong with good, actually beneficial publicity? ;)

I'm all for this. Especially if it means we can have good old, rocket jumping, murder with your pick-up of choice action again. :D

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.