URGENT: WHY does PCpartpicker deny compatibility?: B350 Motherboard with AMD Athlon 3000G

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
3 minutes ago, GnatDaGnat said:

Is this erroneous as I suspect? As far as I can tell they are perfectly compatible.

MSI says they're compatible. 🤷‍♂️ It just needs a BIOS update.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350-TOMAHAWK/support#cpu

Why that CPU specifically, though? It's only a dual core, and you can get better CPUs for not a whole lot more money...

I'm working on troubleshooting using cheapo minimal parts and I'm double-checking compatibility of boards & CPUs from eBay, and I'm watching auctions that expire within the day.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gNgX8r Combining an MSI B350 Tomahawk with an AMD Athlon 3000G or any other Athlon processor that uses the AM4 socket yields a corresponding compatibility warning as quoted below. Is this erroneous as I suspect? As far as I can tell they are perfectly compatible. Or is there something I'm missing? Any info is appreciated.

"MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard and AMD Athlon 3000G (14nm) 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor are not compatible"

Thanks!!

3 minutes ago, GnatDaGnat said:

Is this erroneous as I suspect? As far as I can tell they are perfectly compatible.

MSI says they're compatible. 🤷‍♂️ It just needs a BIOS update.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350-TOMAHAWK/support#cpu

Why that CPU specifically, though? It's only a dual core, and you can get better CPUs for not a whole lot more money...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

That motherboard will require a BIOS update before you can use that CPU with it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

11 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

They sure do. I didn't stop to check if MSI had a link like that. So is it safe to say if the socket is AM4 then it fits? I'm also looking to avoid needing a BIOS update, but I think I know how to determine that one nevermind I could only get a definitive answer from that support table - but that clears up a lot. Thanks for the reply.

9 minutes ago, GnatDaGnat said:

Crossposting" from new builds since the question doesn't exactly fit either one.

A question about a motherboard's CPU compatibility would be better suited to the CPU, motherboard, and memory forum.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

22 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm looking at several right now on eBay because I'm just trying to find the cheapest parts that are instantly compatible with my setup in order to narrow down the culprit of a no-POST. I am leaning pretty strongly towards the mobo having died, but I'm actually not positive. I may not even end up purchasing a CPU right now, but I want to maximize the value with this purchase - e.g., I may get this B350 with a bent pin, fix it, and that way afford an accompanying CPU to cover all my troubleshooting bases and at least yield a booting PC in the end almost guaranteed, all at the same cost of just a tested-working motherboard. My priorities are very heavy on the *just work* side of things, lol.

Anyway, now I know to check the manufacturer's site for more reliable compatibility info - thank you! I'll see where I can go from here.

14 minutes ago, GnatDaGnat said:

So is it safe to say if the socket is AM4 then it fits?

I'm also looking to avoid needing a BIOS update

No it is not safe to say that. Some older AM4 boards do not support newer processors and some newer AM4 boards don't support older processors.

If you want to avoid doing a bios update, you need to get a board that supports the processor you want out of the box. Just like the CPU support list the MSI board has, every other consumer board should have a similar list found in the same way. So double check before purchase, the reason PCPartpicker is throwing the compatibility error is due to the board needing a bios update to work with the Athlon 3000G, so check for that too.

Also, why the Athlon 3000G? You could get a much better CPU for not a whole lot more. Is this a gaming system? Or office system? Just asking because the Athlon chips are pretty ass for gaming.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 minute ago, GnatDaGnat said:

I'm looking at several right now on eBay because I'm just trying to find the cheapest parts that are instantly compatible with my setup in order to narrow down the culprit of a no-POST. I am leaning pretty strongly towards the mobo having died, but I'm actually not positive. I may not even end up purchasing a CPU right now, but I want to maximize the value with this purchase - e.g., I may get this B350 with a bent pin, fix it, and that way afford an accompanying CPU to cover all my troubleshooting bases and at least yield a booting PC in the end almost guaranteed, all at the same cost of just a tested-working motherboard. My priorities are very heavy on the *just work* side of things, lol.

If that's the case it sounds like you'd be better off taking it to a professional to run diagnostics. It would probably be quicker and cheaper than you trying to figure all this out and buying parts for testing out of pocket and having to wait for them to come in.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |