Symantec VP: Antivirus is Dead

nicehat

You do not need an antivirus if you're careful.

I have not used an antivirus for 4 years and I am still using Windows. However again... Every single OS made will and does get viruses, no exceptions to the matter. Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, OSX... whatever else out there, all get viruses. They might not be as common as some but they are definitely there. His statement saying that "Linux does not have viruses" is 100% incorrect.

Yes prepare for the massive List of Linux malware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

48.....most obsolete and patched....such danger, very risk, wow.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes prepare for the massive List of Linux malware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware

48.....most obsolete and patched....such danger, very risk, wow.

Your source is wikipedia. The internet is updated every single second of the day. There are things called zero day viruses. 

My comment still stands. Viruses are there, regardless of the platform. I 100% guarantee you that. 

Also to add to my proof further. A source that is going to be more accurate than wikipedia.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/284124-myth-busting-is-linux-immune-to-viruses

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Your source is wikipedia. The internet is updated every single second of the day. There are things called zero day viruses. 

My comment still stands. Viruses are there, regardless of the platform. I 100% guarantee you that. 

Also to add to my proof further. A source that is going to be more accurate than wikipedia.

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/284124-myth-busting-is-linux-immune-to-viruses

The wikipedia article I quoted cites sources as recent as 2013, yours is dated 2010. More over it doesn't specifically contradicts what I quoted: The existence of linux malware which In case you didn't notice, it means that I actually agree with your narrow and intentionally misleading quote which is Linux viruses and malware exist. The fact that there's so damn few of them, so few targets and so few that are actually viable and not exploiting patched vulnerabilities makes it akin to claiming "Meteorites are 100% confirmed to exists and hit the earth henceforth you must purchase this meteorite insurance policy!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

The wikipedia article I quoted cites sources as recent as 2013, yours is dated 2010. More over it doesn't specifically contradicts what I quoted: The existence of linux malware which In case you didn't notice, it means that I actually agree with your narrow and intentionally misleading quote which is Linux viruses and malware exist. The fact that there's so damn few of them, so few targets and so few that are actually viable and not exploiting patched vulnerabilities makes it akin to claiming "Meteorites are 100% confirmed to exists and hit the earth henceforth you must purchase this meteorite insurance policy!"

So you agree that his comment saying "Linux doesn't get viruses" is incorrect, yes?

Because you and I have just proven the statement wrong. Linux got viruses in the past, it can easily get them now. 

System Specs:

So you agree that his comment saying "Linux doesn't get viruses" is incorrect, yes?

Because you and I have just proven the statement wrong. Linux got viruses in the past, it can easily get them now. 

Yes I agree with your stupid hyper technicality.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes I agree with your stupid hyper technicality.

Because its correct.

System Specs:

"We don't think of antivirus as a moneymaker in any way."

This is a non-funny ironic joke....right? Considering Norton was basically bloated malware people actually bought annual licenses to infect their systems with.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, superANTISPYWARE and malwarebytes to do the regular scan~ 

OSX actually does a good job at this but you have to have the machines locked down.

Its a really great feature, basically prevents anything being downloaded unless it is either from the app store itself, or from a a certified developer. It literally prevents you downloading or installing anything.

Dont forget your average user doesnt even know what a virus is, so products like Norton for them are a necessity. I bet 99% of average users couldnt tell you which sites/download/adds were legit.

Also for all of those saying common sense, that will only protect you so far. There are things common sense cannot stop, hacking, zero day attacks etc etc

HT5290-Options-001-en.png

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

OSX actually does a good job at this but you have to have the machines locked down.

Its a really great feature, basically prevents anything being downloaded unless it is either from the app store itself, or from a a certified developer. It literally prevents you downloading or installing anything.

Dont forget your average user doesnt even know what a virus is, so products like Norton for them are a necessity. I bet 99% of average users couldnt tell you which sites/download/adds were legit.

Also for all of those saying common sense, that will only protect you so far. There are things common sense cannot stop, hacking, zero day attacks etc etc

It's a good concept yes, also available in Linux, in fact Arch Linux takes it a step further turning this into a system wide rolling release: Basically not just apps but every single part of the operating system is updated individually as soon as a new version is available so there's never a need to get a new version: you'll have the latest as long as you update which can also be done automatically

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pacman

-------

Current Rig

-------

I use BitDefender cause I'm a patriot!Supporting Romanian people,you know :P.I'm pretty sure a dude who cracked NASA , SUN,Google,Youtube,ESET,FBI and a lot of other giant servers/sites works there.Now he's joined the white side :D.

Still,in this antivirus world,the best people you could get are ex-crackers/hackers/whatever you call them.

How do you stop being a cracker?

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, superANTISPYWARE and malwarebytes to do the regular scan~ 

You're wasting your time. If KIS is updated and working correctly it will automatically block threats as they happen, there's no need to do scans with the other two tools, they're just taking up space.

Norton is just shit and they're trying to cover that up. It causes more problems than it fixes.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

I work for AVG...

...but I use Avast, lol :)

I see Antivirus software as a guide, kind of like a guardian showing you the right and wrong paths.  Anyone who relies on an antivirus for their security is not secure, the best defence is common sense and I see an antivirus as a thing to help you if you accidentally take a wrong turn for the worst.  

I think the VP is right in Norton's detection, since Norton doesn't detect Potentially Unwanted Programs (bloatware and malicious adware).  And Potentially Unwanted Programs make up a whopping 65% or more of the malware out there, as software like Norton doesn't defend against them it allows hackers to have a gateway into 'most' systems and try to successfully download malware while past the gate.  I never use Norton and think Paying for an 'antivirus' is completley un-necessary, paying for an internet security suite is one thing but paying for an antivirus is like paying for something you can get for free anyways!  

Its a good system but can be easily bypassed.  And if you download something by an unidentified dev and want to run it you wont give a crap about gatekeeper and will run it anyways!  The only way to stop someone from running an appl when gatekeeper blocks it is to tell them its a virus.

Sadly gatekeeper sucks because right clicking and clicking open/run bypasses the whole bloody system.  Poor security imo. 

comon sence havent had a virus rootkit trojan or malware infection since is was 12 about 14 years ago now. When my GF uses my pc its a difrent story so i still use malwarebyte's pro and MSE just for some basic protection/cleanup.

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Have to agree on ppl not knowing which buttons to press to download stuff though so often i see a PC back in the store within a month riddled with malware and bloatware max infections found on a pc so far that was less then a month old was over 900 xD.

To bad ppl cant download common sense

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

They're all pretty crap so no wonder a lot of people just opt for free AV software or just Windows defender/MSE or whatever came bundled with their PC and end up getting full of malware anyway because they don't even realize their software hasn't been updated since they bought the damn thing and/or their demo license expired a month after so it couldn't do anything when they inevitably torrent stuff carelessly.

As for techies, Defender/MSE/most other free software + free Malwarebytes + common sense is probably one of the best options so there's definitely no money to be had from the AV business, all CEOs should have followed John McAfee's example :P.

I caN'T READ THROUGH ALL THESE RESPONSES BUT............... (sorry about that )...........  the big problem I have is with the cost of renewel. I paid $10 American for my last anti virus software program. These sleezy carpetbaggers want $50 to renew for a year........... Unless these morons wake up and smell the roses things will continue the way they are. Greed chases customers away. not the fact that there are "free" ones to be had. if I were a vendor I'd look at this and say ten bucks is better than NO bucks.

for years I used winzip "free". I recently purchased a license because it was *deserved* of them. didn't have to do it but I did. paid $15 bucks for it. well worth it for all the years I used it. I'd stick with an AV company if I didn't feel like I was being played.

lol again to everyone saying no av is needed, just use common sense and all that.

If you had ANY idea of the different ways you could get a virus, then you'd have an AV.

Friend gives you a usb stick which could be infected, BAM

You plug your USB in a public pc which is compromised and then back to yours BAM (example you want to print somethig)
A site that you often go to is compromised, BAM
Click the wrong dl button once, BAM
General hacker trying to get into your pc while your downloading a torrent, BAM ( bitdefender has given me around 3-4 different chinese IPs trying to hack my pc) BAMBAMBAM

If you just go on 3 different sites and never anything else, never plug any usb devices on or whatever and dont mind reinstalling windows then yeah sure dont use an AV

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I use the Windows Security essentials and Malwarebytes. Always have, Slick was spot on in the WANshow.

lol again to everyone saying no av is needed, just use common sense and all that.

If you had ANY idea of the different ways you could get a virus, then you'd have an AV.

Friend gives you a usb stick which could be infected, BAM

You plug your USB in a public pc which is compromised and then back to yours BAM (example you want to print somethig)

A site that you often go to is compromised, BAM

Click the wrong dl button once, BAM

General hacker trying to get into your pc while your downloading a torrent, BAM ( bitdefender has given me around 3-4 different chinese IPs trying to hack my pc) BAMBAMBAM

If you just go on 3 different sites and never anything else, never plug any usb devices on or whatever and dont mind reinstalling windows then yeah sure dont use an AV

Meh, I think you are highly overestimating hackers/viruses and their chances.

USB sticks almost are never compromised and if you have half a brain you know which websites you can and can't trust by looking at the website itself etc.

Meh, I think you are highly overestimating hackers/viruses and their chances.

USB sticks almost are never compromised and if you have half a brain you know which websites you can and can't trust by looking at the website itself etc.

Nope, I used mine to print somethings from the PCs of my university which were compromised, I plug it on my pc home after and the av blocked a trojan.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Nope, I used mine to print somethings from the PCs of my university which were compromised, I plug it on my pc home after and the av blocked a trojan.

Eh, I am careful and lucky, I will take my chances.