I'm NOT Stupid

Plouffe
1 hour ago, Rex Hite said:

But are phones and modems etc today so marginal in their RF behavior that they need to be subject to more testing than the manufacturer does?

You heavily overestimate how much testing happens in industry 😅

Is the lab only going to test consumer level electronics? I'd love to see some professional stuff tested aswell.

As a live sound engineer it would be sweet if you guys could rent some high-end professional live audio speakers and measure the frequency response, sensitivity, etc

@LinusTech
Stop listening to the kids that surround you and go seek advice from an actual consultant 

These kids' solution to a problem is always to through more money at it because "it's ok linus has money" 

Like that Nividia quadro  benchmark you tried to do using equipment that cost 10 times the budget of what was back then the number 1 in 3D mark yet you didnt even get to be in the top 10... 

The PSU tester MAYBE has a merit (I already felt remorse for what I just said about it)  but all that other fancy sh1t is useless with a non existent or very long ROI assuming that no competitor wont do something better (and it will hurt if he does that for cheaper lol ) 

Even that fancy money trap for headphone testing USELESS, I mean think about it, the end result will be to get (IF you do everything right which you wont and you end up needing yet again to rent some talent or some new room or doodad etc) more accurate measurements. 

But in reviewing (although it is an intrinsic part of it but within reason) the goal is not about the measurement for its own sake but about a honest  and even more so  mindful opinion.
Hey linus should I buy it? 
Or Hey linus how much better will this be compared to what I have, is it worth it?  etc 

E.G if the 4090 has 30FPS "average"  performance does it really make it a better deal compared to the 7900 XTX if those average numbers are from low player base indi games where the 4090 gets like a 350 FPS score and the 7900XTX a still 10000% playable but still considerable lower FPS count of 280 (almost all the monitors have a lot lower refreshrate than that for example) while on the games that "count" (so AAA)the difference is more like 1 to 10 FPS in most of them and in some of them the 7900XTX being ahead (again by a small margin)  when taking into account the price difference and the powerconsumption (kWh are not cheap in every country) thermals etc? 

Also is GPU reviewing about flagships? I mean almost nobody buys them most people buy entry and mid level GPUs .. WHY? are they stupid? or is there a problem in the market related to value per buck and shady policies etc you should point out and also compare stuff that actual people gonna use more in general even if there isnt a reason (like price scalping or profiteering by the manufacturer that should be discussed first) 

What does "best graphics card" really mean? Is it a number accurately taken to 4 decimal points in generic or random games? Or it means answering the question "Will I get more value and a better experience through out my daily usage by X or Y card compared to Z or E?" ? 

I mean by that, that numbers on their own start losing their meaning, so why to invest so much to add an other digit of accuracy ?

What you need is just people with experience AND wisdom (which usually are older than 35) 

And a f** ton of merch to compare. 

Like your channel would be 100% better in reviewing hardware if instead of buying all that expensive robot arms and sh1t you just bought (WITHOUT being sponsored) e.g ALL the GPUs and ALL the CPUs and the top 50 or 20 headesets etc etc and just like simply compared them (consulting a person who has experience on that and wisdom on the industry) and give a mindful/thoughtful deterministic opinion on if it is worth and to whom what could change to make it better what exists that if it didnt would make it better etc.  

E.g you reviewed the ryzen 7000 series but did you really review it or just threw a few generic test on a out of the box chip? (which I dont blame you there are dead lines to meet when these chips release and just testing a cpu "as is" has also its merits ) but e.g did you test the best RAM and timings do you have any guy who actually knows how to do that better than the average student who claims he likes to OC? 

Did you try to actually OC it to its limits or towards a goal (better efficiency) e.g using Hydra or the expertise of someone that is able to code a program such as hydra? 

Did you really choose the games and tests wisely? taking into account the strengths and weaknesses of the hardware and also the relevancy of the games  (e.g how many people play it and how solid and optimized  it is as a game engine)  ?

That's where you should invest your money on instead of spending it to flashy stuff that probably will lead to nowhere (although I wish you best luck I just dont see it) 

(also mho you should invest in actual journalists (e.g like AdoredTV but even more motivated and professional not that he is bad but I think he just is an average guy like me and you who decided to dig a little deeper without having any connections or actual knowledge on journalism)who would actually try to pull strings and talk to insiders and give you scripts which criticize the shady behaviour of companies whos sponsorship you wouldnt need if you have had bought their products  your self  instead with the money you used on spenting robotic arms and a huge factory of a building etc to make us consumers more aware of their BS, which would lead to wiser buying decisions which would increase competition and force them to more efficient production and also giving better value for the buck products) 

And I also get that the norm is that if a product gets reviewed then the views for a 2nd more detailed review will be low but maybe that can change if the review is actually worth it and maybe that's just a trend created by people who are small and afraid to lose views maybe you linus have the momentum and the money to change that and maybe you should.

Or you could just keep throwing  money onto getting more fancy stuff that is a solution too I guess, what do I know? I don't have a Bugatti and that seems to matter more than rational thoughts nowadays......... 

@all the people that just will instinctively protect their beloved linus or boss yes I am ignorant and an idiot please do not spam me with posts pointing that out lol I just wanted to express my honest ignorant hater retarded opinion because I am jealous or a bad person in general. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, papajo said:

I just wanted to express my honest ignorant hater retarded opinion because I am jealous or a bad person in general.

I think you forgot "oversimplification", because that's what you do all the time. You take a complex, ramified topic, you condense it down to one, simple aspect and then you rant about how stupid everybody is and how this would be oh so easy to rectify.

Your posts follow simple rules:

Linus --> idiot

everybody working at LTT --> inexperienced suckers

any lab equipment --> too expensive

high-end GPUs for more than $300 --> total rip-off

high-end CPUs for more than §200 without any OC potential --> extortion

LTT backpack --> any Chinese backpack is the same

1 hour ago, papajo said:

Hey linus should I buy it? 
Or Hey linus how much better will this be compared to what I have, is it worth it?  etc 

But you seem to forget a few things. LTT is not selling buyers guides or buying decisions (like Stiftung Warentest for example). They are monetizing mainly entertainment. Viewer retention doesn't work on this scale by simply scavenging people who want to make an informed buying decision. And if you think streamlining everything in the direction of "do buy" or "don't buy" stickers would be a viable business, you are IMHO completely clueless.

The golden age of massive growth on video platforms is over, but you can probably get some venture capital* and do your own thing. Not all cities are as expensive as Vancouver and your RoI should be much sooner with a less expensive building. The longer you wait the longer it will take to catch up to the competition.

*) You could also start with finding the LTT backpack on AliExpress to get your $10,000 reward Linus promised. 😉

I like how this video comes off like a stock investor meeting...

But really it's a bunch of people in the world investing in lame rebranded water bottles so we can play video games better. 

51 minutes ago, papajo said:

Very long story

Some of what you say has a bit of merrit. Though it loses a lot of persuasiveness simply because you decided to not frame it constructively and instead opted for the "old man yelling at clouds" approach through the use of "kids".  

Anyway, besides the fact that constructive feedback generally doesn't look like your story it is also based on factually incorrect assumptions and context I can only imagine you assumed at the spot. Sure, it is a great suggestion to attract actually journalists and people that have experience with tech reporting. But also, have you met the head of Lab? You know, Gary Keys, someone who worked for Anandtech for years. Linus for several Wan shows talked extensively about how they went about to hire people for Labs which indeed includes journalists with actual practical experience. He also talked extensively about their initial approach and what their first goals are, etc. 

Now, I don't think anyone reasonably expects that you are dilligently watching all Wan shows, certainly not now they are 4 hours long. At the same time when you take the time to write a somewhat substantial amount of text. Certainly one dedicated to such a certain subject, it works better if you actually are up to speed with all the things you plan to criticize. 

It's almost if you decided to switch away from backpack design and are now an expert on running a lab like this. 

51 minutes ago, papajo said:

@all the people that just will instinctively protect their beloved linus or boss yes I am ignorant and an idiot please do not spam me with posts pointing that out lol I just wanted to express my honest ignorant hater retarded opinion because I am jealous or a bad person in general. Thank you. 

You do realize how this simply reads as "It is not me that is wrong, it is everyone else that is wrong!"? I also like to discuss a lot of subjects, I also like to be critical of things and there is nothing wrong with that. At the same time I am not assuming I am always entirely right, or that I know everything there is to know basically everything. The few posts I have seen you make on this forum often follow the same pattern where you take a position of authority without the actual knowledge or facts to back it up. And once that is pointed out you tend to shift the discussion or get offended. That doesn't make you a hater, jealous or a bad person. What it does make is for a tedious experience coming across it yet again....

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

I feel like Linus is building the Aperture science facility 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

1 minute ago, Ripred said:

He does what he must, because he can. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, Ripred said:

I hope not, the backstory behind Aperture and its eventual fate is rather depressing 😄 I only wish Labs the brightest of futures 🙂

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

14 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Things at the lab are going GREAT, and we can't wait to show you! Come take a tour and check out some cool new features like the metal 3D printer, submersion tank, and more before we move the writers over.

The content is ok, but fix ur freaking thumbnails/title. We got why you did it… but too far. Feels like a ‘lego tutorial by barbie’ type thumbnail.  

31 minutes ago, creesch said:

Some of what you say has a bit of merrit. Though it loses a lot of persuasiveness simply because you decided to not frame it constructively and instead opted for the "old man yelling at clouds" approach through the use of "kids". 

That's because I watch ltt for years actually I started watching (for no apparent reason the videos were mostly generic then but just happened to be I guess) since he worked for NCIX and kinda am able to differentiate the various transitions of his channel and this is my honest opinion that most of that stuff I mentioned about is a product of the 20 yo he employed convincing him to "invest" into stuff like that because he had money long before he made all those moves (he and luke -in what I believe was a time of great financial problems as far as the channel was concerned - made a crowd fund-raiser and got like 1M or maybe more ) yet he didnt start to spent so much money on stuff like that untill he started hiring all this college aged guys. 

1 hour ago, IanSzot said:

Is the lab only going to test consumer level electronics? I'd love to see some professional stuff tested aswell.

As a live sound engineer it would be sweet if you guys could rent some high-end professional live audio speakers and measure the frequency response, sensitivity, etc

I think they will start with consumer devices opposed to professional tools, because the audience is bigger.

There may be some crossover between professional gear or prosumer gear that consumers use, for example microphones that are used in professional production and consumer live streaming. 

But the focus seems to be on the larger consumer audience.

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

That's because I watch ltt for years actually I started watching (for no apparent reason the videos were mostly generic then but just happened to be I guess) since he worked for NCIX and kinda am able to differentiate the various transitions of his channel and this is my honest opinion that most of that stuff I mentioned about is a product of the 20 yo he employed convincing him to "invest" into stuff like that because he had money long before he made all those moves (he and luke -in what I believe was a time of great financial problems as far as the channel was concerned - made a crowd fund-raiser and got like 1M or maybe more ) yet he didnt start to spent so much money on stuff like that untill he started hiring all this college aged guys. 

Sorry, but this reads like one long sentence without a proper beginning, middle and end that is also missing a few words here and there.  As far as I can tell you are still doing what I said in my earlier comment and that is just making assumptions. At the very least conflating cause and effect as the 20 year olds he does hire are actually a result of him/LMG deciding to invest in certain areas. Not the other way around. 

Anyway, that is also not all that relevant as you effectively doing what I said in my earlier comment. So, as I already said everything that can be said about your "feedback" I'll leave it at this comment. 

29 minutes ago, creesch said:

I hope not, the backstory behind Aperture and its eventual fate is rather depressing 😄 I only wish Labs the brightest of futures 🙂

Just picturing Luke, Anthony, Jake and Alex all getting trapped in the LMG lab, being forced to test by poorly moded chat GPT stuck in the server 🤣 

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

19 minutes ago, papajo said:

So, these were all words, but very little actual thought came through.

You're clearly not an expert, and you clearly want to sound more important than you are.  

"I watch LTT for years!"  Whoopdie doo, so have tens of thousands, if not more, people.  You're not special.   

28 minutes ago, papajo said:

How's that search for the LTT backpack on AliExpress going?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

19 minutes ago, Middcore said:

How's that search for the LTT backpack on AliExpress going?

Any day now.  Any day!  

I wish the just would do one think that is using only the Metric System! I have absolute no clue what the talk about.

From AT. :x

3 minutes ago, Required said:

I wish the just would do one think that is using only the Metric System! I have absolute no clue what the talk about.

*/  25.4

17 hours ago, HyperData said:

Hey! I would like to just offer up a little recommendation for lighting control. ETC (Electronic Theater Controls) makes a really nice architectural system called Unison. They make it so you can control so much lighting fixtures from as many (or as little) control panels as you want. You can have master control panels for every light in the building. 
Here is a link for more info. I know y'all probably have this sorted out, but I've personally had great experiences with these in the past. (I'm a theater lighting designer, so I work with this hellscape for a living 😂
https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Architectural-Systems/Paradigm/

Just a thought!

If they ever do a big overhaul on the studio, they should seriously look into a "real" lighting board and DMX lights. How many times has "the interference in here from all the WiFi and Bluetooth lights" come up when they're testing things?

ETC makes some good stuff, even if their software interface can be a pain sometimes.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I feel, in a way, we need LMG to be the Consumer Reports for average computer gear.

The problem is that sponsorships always derail that, so that's never going to be a thing. LMG can meet us half way there and do the fun stuff with sponsorships, and then do the "vendor agnostic quality review" without one.

Either way, we are sorely lacking in actual "testing" of the entire scale from low-end to high end parts that consumers might actually buy.

4 minutes ago, Required said:

🤔

LOL, Basic formula for converting metric and standard measurement's in the form of decimals, I work In manufacturing and you comment made me think of it