Was Windows 8 THAT bad?

James

Was Windows 8 THAT bad?

Yes

4 minutes ago, James said:

Was there anything worth remembering in this wildly unpopular version of Windows?

No

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

23 minutes ago, James said:

Was Windows 8 THAT bad?

On a desktop it was, but on a touch screen it is not and 8.1 fixed most of the issues  

23 minutes ago, James said:

Microsoft has officially ended support for Windows 8 and nobody cares. Probably because no one used it, amirite? Was there anything worth remembering in this wildly unpopular version of Windows?

Yeah i really liked the full screen start menu(in windows 10) with a touch screen device they removed it in windows 11 :(, widgets , Biometric login. 

3 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

On a desktop it was, but on a touch screen it is not and 8.1 fixed most of the issues  

Yeah i really liked the full screen start menu with a touch screen device they removed it in windows 11 :(. And widgets 

For both touch screen and desktop experiences seems like a separate menu for each is better:

For touch:

image.thumb.png.5e89feb5ec26e762efa833622e7b8a26.png

For desktop:

image.thumb.png.0dacee5afa5e499c2cc8e1f838bc2fea.png

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

For both touch screen and desktop experiences seems like a separate menu for each is better:

For touch:

For desktop:

It absolutly is and windows 10 had a toggle. And most of the times for touch pad also the full screen like one  works better in my experiance if it has proper jester navigation . 

Win8 was nowhere near as bad as Vista.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I had very limited with Windows 8 and 8.1 when it was around, I was using a 2011 iMac during that time (running macOS and Windows 7), and my school had xp and win 7 machines. My main experience with it was through some of my friends. I remember being absolutely furious with the "charms bar" when attempting to do just about anything. It is kinda nostalgic to see that 8.1 desktop though and get flashbacks from all the Minecraft modding tutorials I would watch.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I daily drove Vista back in the day and had no issues, in fact i loved it.

Vista flopped due to compatibility issues with most hardware that was available at the time:

Single core CPUs

Less than 2GB of RAM

Using Windows XP drivers on Vista due to lack of drivers for Vista

All of those were very common among Vista users.

Imagine Windows 11 needing 16 cores + 32GB of RAM + lacking drivers for hardware that is as recent as 1 year old - That's the equivaliant to the Windows Vista situation.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

To be fair, the start menu in windows 8 is actually rather nice. Honestly one of the better features.

One can trivially organize all the programs one usually uses in a very intuitive fashion. Ie, all common apps/programs one uses are there, neatly organized.

I have been using windows 8.1 as my daily driver since it came out. And it isn't all that bad. Sad to see it go so quickly after windows 7, but at the same time. It isn't an unreasonable amount of time either.

Using windows 10 at work feels like cave man era to be fair. And its frankly scatterbrained behavior of not having migrated everything from the old control panel to the settings menu yet is honestly annoying. Though, likewise is it annoying when it does move and add in a few more hurdles for one to jump to do more complex tasks.

At home I have started migrating to Ubuntu instead of sticking with windows. (Since I have realized that I almost exclusively use GNU software already...)

36 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Vista was bad on initial launch. Once patched (and vendors got on board with drivers, etc) it was fine.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Vista was bad on initial launch. Once patched (and vendors got on board with drivers, etc) it was fine.

Anything bad on initial launch is not market ready. Microsoft needs to focus on getting it right the first time.

51 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Vista flopped due to compatibility issues with most hardware that was available at the time:

Single core CPUs

Less than 2GB of RAM

Using Windows XP drivers on Vista due to lack of drivers for Vista

I bought a Sony Vaio laptop brand-new with Vista pre-installed. It was a disaster.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

37 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Anything bad on initial launch is not market ready. Microsoft needs to focus on getting it right the first time.

They blew WIn95

WIn98

NT 4.0

WinME

Vista

XP

WIn2k

Win7

Win8

WIn10

.....need I go on?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Nystemy said:

And its frankly scatterbrained behavior of not having migrated everything from the old control panel to the settings menu yet is honestly annoying.

I find there's something strangely reassuring about the control panel compared to the new settings menu. The less polished design and operation makes it feel like it's definitely doing something. Like a circuit breaker compared to a light switch (ignore that they don't actually do quite the same thing).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Nothing windows 8 added or changed was anything I cared about.

I mean i still hate windows 10 tbh. and im gettin real sick of people thinking security updates justify a crappier os.

2 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Best Windows ever.

Windows 7 sucked.

Fite me.

You are entitled to your wrong opinion. Not even close 7 was by far the best, cleanest windows without all the bloat, and telemetry theyve since added. I would much prefer a windows 7 style OS with streamlined features, no telemetry, and it just works. 

Windows 8 was so bad i had to wipe 40 college desktops that got the forced updates and the school was debating whether or not suing microsoft for the forced update. It caused so many issues, corrupted hard drives and such. I really wish they got sued and had to pay, because forced updates like this are dumb. 

6 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You are entitled to your wrong opinion. Not even close 7 was by far the best, cleanest windows without all the bloat, and telemetry theyve since added. I would much prefer a windows 7 style OS with streamlined features, no telemetry, and it just works. 

Windows 8 was so bad i had to wipe 40 college desktops that got the forced updates and the school was debating whether or not suing microsoft for the forced update. It caused so many issues, corrupted hard drives and such. I really wish they got sued and had to pay, because forced updates like this are dumb. 

32-bit software on 64-bit Win7

Nuff said.

image.png

14 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Nuff said.

image.png

Sounds like its a fixable thing, but again microsoft is a awful company when it comes to fixing stuff like that. I really wished there was an alternative that didnt have so much stuff, but microsoft would 100% sue them for "infringements" to make it as hard as possible. 

And no Linux is still not a viable alternative yet. 

4 hours ago, James said:

Was Windows 8 THAT bad?

The underlying tech was fine. 

The bass-ackwards interface that made desktops pretend to be tablets was annoying as hell.

24 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Nuff said.

image.png

I wonder how old that software was, and whether it relied on deprecated APIs or even 16-bit code. Those were the only times I remember having issues running legacy software on Windows 7. (The less said about the critical 32-bit application that looked like it was from 1994 and drew its interface with millions upon millions of GDI calls, and its 32-bit server that used a directory tree of text files as its "database" and searched them using Windows desktop search, the better...)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

I loved Vista.  I had a new computer when Vista came out and it was in every way better than XP that ran on my school's computers. Yes I will die on this hill.

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

For touch:

For desktop:

I don't know, my girlfriend has a win 10 tablet and I love the regular layout a hell of a lot better than the Windows 8 layout. I would much rather have that layout on just about every device I own.

have a win 8 touch lap top. moment(it way over spec)

moment i could install win 10 on it.

i did.

desk top win 8 was bad.

yeah  they did 8.1 but that was a band aid oon the problem.

now win vista laptop. yeah that was crap nothing more.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I mean, my friend had a windows 8 phone back in the day and I remember that phone as the coolest thing I had ever seen at that time, I guess it was 'Iconic' at least, but yeah then a relative let me use her laptop for a couple of weeks which was also windows 8 and it just didnt work for a pc at all, it was the opposite like it deserved to be forgot about because I didnt even remember  the PC W8  existed until recent weeks that Linus has mentioned it a little here and there

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600 

GPU - Sapphire PULSE RX 6650 XT

PSU - RM 650 black label 

RAM - Fury Beast RGB 16GB (2 x 8)

SSD - KC 3000 1TB

G915 TKL (Brown switches)

G502 X Lightspeed