Couldn't find the path - Intel kills two more businesses

BachChain

Summary

Continuing CEO Pat Gelsinger's war on unprofitability, Intel has announced the end of two more divisions, bringing the total to seven since Pat took the reigns. The two now on the chopping block are NEX, their network switch brand, and Pathfinder, their RISC-V IDE program. These cuts come following their Q4 earnings call where Intel reported a loss of over six-hundred and fifty million dollars.

Quotes

NEX continues to do well and is a core part of our strategic transformation, but we will end future investment on our network switching product line, while still fully supporting existing products and customers. Since my return, we have exited seven businesses, providing in excess of $1.5 billion in savings.

We regret to inform you that Intel is discontinuing the Intel® Pathfinder for RISC-V program effective immediately.

Since Intel will not be providing any additional releases or bug fixes, we encourage you to promptly transition to third-party RISC-V* software tools that best meet your development needs.

My thoughts

Intel made switches? How many more businesses does Intel have left to burn through?

Sources

https://download.intel.com/newsroom/2023/corporate/q422-investor-call-remarks.pdf

https://pathfinder.intel.com/

9 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Intel made switches?

I think they were mostly in the high end / exotic cluster infrastructure category, competing against Cisco and Mellanox.

The regular Ethernet edge switch market is pretty well saturated with established players, from Cisco, HPE/Aruba, Broadcom, and Extreme Networks all the way down to Linksys and Netgear. They didn't have anything competing against the likes of TP-Link.

I wonder who's going to buy that tech off them. Ubiquiti? HPE? The ghost of Proteon?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, BachChain said:

and Pathfinder, their RISC-V IDE program.

I'm wondering what this means for Intel's investment in RISC-V in general. Is this a goodbye to RISC-V or just the IDE?

2 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

I'm wondering what this means for Intel's investment in RISC-V in general. Is this a goodbye to RISC-V or just the IDE?

whats RISC-V

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 minute ago, Blqckout said:

whats RISC-V

Open CPU architecture, so alternative to x86 and Arm. New kid on the block relatively speaking but it is probably the next big thing, eventually.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Open CPU architecture, so alternative to x86 and Arm. New kid on the block relatively speaking but it is probably the next big thing, eventually.

isnt intel mostly known for cpus? why would he shut it down, is he secretly an AMD enthousiast and uses AMD cpus but wants to continue working on INTEL GPUS so hell get better performance lol

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

That explains why they had a collaboration with an SiFive to make a RISC-V board with DDR5/PCIe5 ports. It's just that they no longer have their own development team anymore.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

36 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

It was mostly an IDE for 3rd party, they seem to still be investing on RISC-V and even released a new CPU in partnership with SiFive:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sifive-intel-hifive-risc-v-development-board

30 minutes ago, Blqckout said:

isnt intel mostly known for cpus? why would he shut it down, is he secretly an AMD enthousiast and uses AMD cpus but wants to continue working on INTEL GPUS so hell get better performance lol

Intel does lots of stuff, but x86 is exclusive to only a specific segment and has a weird license where no one manufactures can effectively make use of it. Since ARM is growing even stronger, but also has some fucked up licensing, vendors are looking into moving to RISC-V since it's royalty free, and Intel wants their share of the cake, they're investing in RISC-V CPUs too.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, Blqckout said:

Intel's RISC V efforts their entire CPU program. RISC-V is an open-source architecture that came out a few years ago. It's mostly seen as an eventual competitor to ARM, so Intel investing in the RISC V space now means they would have a leg up if it ever overturned ARM.

Intel produces a lot of processors, including the x86 chips that form the backbone of client and server processing, but they also make microcontrollers (their Quark line) and apparently they design RISC-V stuff too. Intel retreating from this space just means they won't be pursuing developments in that particular aspect of RISC V, but certainly not that they're abandoning CPUs as a whole.

CEO must think that the RISC V gamble is one that won't or can't pay off for Intel, at least when it comes to IDEs. He might also believe that it's one of the less critical elements of Intel Corp and thus more deserving of being shut down in order to cut losses.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 1/28/2023 at 4:50 AM, Needfuldoer said:

Ubiquiti? HPE? The ghost of Proteon?

Ubiquity not a chance, I highly doubt they want to enter that market segment. It'll be someone like Broadcom or Cisco, one already in this sector but want to take over existing Intel based customers.

On 1/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, BachChain said:

How many more businesses does Intel have left to burn through?

A lot but not enough. Though one of them is their CPU division if it doesn't stop losing money.

Raptor Lake has basically zero profit below the i9 products. Intel has way too many leftover Alderlake dies and so needs to sell them for unprofitable amounts + rebadging the low end 13th gen just to get rid of stock.

Intel can't afford to keep fighting AMD the way they're doing it for too much longer given how much money Intel is haemorraging. 

Imho Intel's gotta move to chiplets for consumers and just take the latency penalty that comes with it. Their monolithic dies are clearly too expensive for them to keep making if Raptor Lake below i9 is selling at cost.

On 1/27/2023 at 3:40 PM, BachChain said:

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

35 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Though one of them is their CPU division if it doesn't stop losing money.

CCG still has positive operating income, just a lot lower than it has been in past. Only AXG and IFS were at operating loss, but those are relatively new and longer term plays. 

It looks like the overall operating loss reported for the most recent quarter is mostly a result from investing in the future. They are still on their recovery path from 14nm.

Imho Intel's gotta move to chiplets for consumers and just take the latency penalty that comes with it.

This has been their plan on record for years. Next gen Meteor Lake is moving to tiles on higher end, with monolithic believed to remain on lower end. Not much difference to how AMD has chiplet offerings and monolithic APUs depending on placement.

Their monolithic dies are clearly too expensive for them to keep making if Raptor Lake below i9 is selling at cost.

Where did you see that? Couldn't find it in a quick search.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 1/27/2023 at 10:50 AM, Needfuldoer said:

I think they were mostly in the high end / exotic cluster infrastructure category, competing against Cisco and Mellanox.

The regular Ethernet edge switch market is pretty well saturated with established players, from Cisco, HPE/Aruba, Broadcom, and Extreme Networks all the way down to Linksys and Netgear. They didn't have anything competing against the likes of TP-Link.

I wonder who's going to buy that tech off them. Ubiquiti? HPE? The ghost of Proteon?

Intel made the ASICs (after they bought Tofino) and switches, they were a true ODM for that stuff. There is no way Ubiquiti would or could buy that up because they would need fab capacity and the ability to utilize the ASICs. We're not talking lower end 10 gigabit stuff, we're talking 100gig, 400 gigabit and up. As @leadeater said it would be someone akin to Cisco, Juniper, or Broadcom most likely. I know back in the day Cisco was supposedly gunning for Tofino Networks but Intel beat them to the punch but we'll see who scoops this up now.

Edit:

What's crazy is Intel bought Tofino Networks just 3.5 years ago and they're already killing the division.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, porina said:

Where did you see that? Couldn't find it in a quick search.

MLID.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),