I can't believe they let us touch these

CPotter

Thanks to Samsung Display for sponsoring today's video! Learn more about Samsung Display's newest tech through the below links:

Samsung Display website: https://www.samsungdisplay.com/ 
OLED microsite: https://oledera.samsungdisplay.com/eng/
Newsroom: https://global.samsungdisplay.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/samsungdisplay

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Given Linus's propensity for dropping expensive tech, I can't believe it either.

True, was waiting for the Linus drop tips segment of the video

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

they've obviously never watched LTT

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

I'm a massive advocate for folding phones (love my Fold 4) and I'd definitely get a Flex G tablet day one if they were to be released to consumers. With sliding displays, they certainly seem like they could be useful, but I don't think they'd be practical outside of the specific niche of adjusting to a specific aspect ratio. Perhaps the main problems with them would stem from the bulk as well as the repair issues. It doesn't seem worth it to add on that extra bulk for the slide mechanisms just for an extra inch or two of space on the side when folding phones have a much better ratio for bulk to screen size. Additionally, I could see it being a nightmare to have a sliding screen if it breaks. I can easily imagine dropping my phone and breaking the slide mechanism, especially since that would create the issue where cases can't protect the edges of the opened display (I already have the problem where I can't get a case that covers the fold edge of my Fold 4). With the dual folding+sliding device, when open, it would have around a 60-70% chance of landing on an edge that is unprotected, while at least currently it is only around 30%.

This tech was definitely what excited me most that came out of CES. (Genuinely, I really hope the Flex G makes it to consumer market. That is exactly what I want out of a display. I bought the Fold 4 to read comics on the go and would love a full-size option with the Flex G)

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Given Linus's propensity for dropping expensive tech, I can't believe it either.

the super micro guys. super computer video....

oh thank god its jake and not linus....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

I'd always imagined sliding/rolling displays as an all or nothing kind of deal, rather than the display being mostly static with an extra sliding element for when you want some extra real estate. So instead of having a large slab in your pocket, you have a small lipstick-sized tube that you pull open to use - kinda like those roll-up banners you see at trade shows and events.

Of course we would require quite a few advancements in terms of miniaturisation of the internals of the phone - especially the battery - before we can create something suitable for consumers, but with how compact we can make the internals of smartwatches a prototype device would probably be possible. A bigger device of this concept for use as an external display or tablet might be an easier place to start here - even smaller tablets have a ton of empty space today.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

Where are the youtube links to the 'away team CES coverage' mentioned at