Upgrade path for pixel 3a on Verizon? [2023]

linkviii

Looking to replace my 3a. The screen is very cracked and sad. iirc official repair was $125 for the $400 phone. Otherwise the 3a is still all the phone I actually need.

Requirements:

• Be an upgrade [not super budget/ewaste]
  • Be new
  • Have a headphone jack
  • Work on Verizon in the usa

Budget: < 1,000 USD$. I'd like to target something closer to the 3a's MSRP, but with the options of good phones going down I'm willing to pay extra.

Browsing similar recent posts here I mostly just saw Zenfone 9 being recommended. Super close to just ordering it out of desperation, But maybe there's some hot tech tips I've missed! Edit: Did not even consider the option that it wouldn't be supported on verison. Well that uh sucks

I missed out on any chance to buy a new 5a waiting and hoping that the 6a would still have a jack. And since then I've just been putting off shopping.

Suggesting any phone without a jack and "Just use an adapter" is not welcome here. Only way that works is if everyone saying just use a dongle buys me a box full of dongles.

Edited by linkviii
Add verison req

With those requirements that's one of your very, very few options.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

One thing to note is that the zenphone is GSM only, so if you are in Verizon or Us Cellular(sprint is now t-mobile so i think it would work but dont quote me), it would not connect. Do your research. There is a good chance that the pixel 6a wont have a headphone jack, but that shouldn’t be as big of in issue as you think, using a dongle (many audiophiles like the apple dongle for the Mac) may give you better sound quality than a jack alone, and it shouldn’t sway your choices too much (it is really nice to have though i agree).

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

On 1/9/2023 at 7:30 PM, linkviii said:

Looking to replace my 3a. The screen is very cracked and sad. iirc official repair was $125 for the $400 phone. Otherwise the 3a is still all the phone I actually need.

Requirements:

• Be an upgrade [not super budget/ewaste]
  • Be new
  • Have a headphone jack

Budget: < 1,000 USD$. I'd like to target something closer to the 3a's MSRP, but with the options of good phones going down I'm willing to pay extra.

Browsing similar recent posts here I mostly just saw Zenfone 9 being recommended. Super close to just ordering it out of desperation, But maybe there's some hot tech tips I've missed!

I missed out on any chance to buy a new 5a waiting and hoping that the 6a would still have a jack. And since then I've just been putting off shopping.

Suggesting any phone without a jack and "Just use an adapter" is not welcome here.

Think the Zenfone 9 is pretty much your only real option, as was suggested earlier. So long as you're not using a CDMA carrier (i.e. Verizon or networks based on it), it'll be a good pick. Sony's Xperia phones are also solid, but they're considerably more expensive and don't fare so well in real-world camera performance.

The reality is that insisting on a headphone jack is going to rule out some very good phones, and that you're flying in the face of an industry trend that isn't reversing any time soon. The Zenfone 9 should do the trick for now, but you can't assume that even ASUS will have a 3.5mm-equipped phone the next time you're ready to upgrade.

Oh no. I do have verizon. I didn't even consider that that could be a requirement. Biggest middle finger to Apple : (

iirc official repair was $125 for the $400 phone

So the phone you have now is fine.  You could get it repaired, or spend even more money on a different one.

What will you do with the pixel phone?  It doesn't seem likely you'll get it fixed if you are looking for a different phone, so the one you have now WILL become ewasye sooner than need be, unless you throw down $125.  It will still become ewaste, just not as soon

GPS trackers show that even Dell's program doesn't work.  Whatever you decide, put $125 toward the environment, and then you can have a backup phone or something to use with custom roms.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

6 hours ago, E-waste said:

So the phone you have now is fine.  You could get it repaired, or spend even more money on a different one.

What will you do with the pixel phone?  It doesn't seem likely you'll get it fixed if you are looking for a different phone, so the one you have now WILL become ewasye sooner than need be, unless you throw down $125.  It will still become ewaste, just not as soon

GPS trackers show that even Dell's program doesn't work.  Whatever you decide, put $125 toward the environment, and then you can have a backup phone or something to use with custom roms.

The 3a doesn't get security updates anymore. So if security is a concern, it is e waste already. Battery likely old too. So you likely would include new battery with the repair. And then the risk something else is on the verge of breaking. Repair can turn into even more e-waste. IMHO, this phone is way beyond useful life.

Compared to computers, cars etc.,  a phone is relatively little waste per year. Probably even less per hour of actual use considering it gets used many hours a day (even just passively listening to podcast etc )

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

23 hours ago, Lurking said:

a phone is relatively little waste per year.

Yeah, ask yourself how many smaerphones are recycled for mineral recovery, in all history of smaerphones for this entire phone / smartphone area and see how well you agree with it.

Go look at "toxicity" on youtube.  With service providers incentivicing two-year or even new model upgrades yearly, you can't possibly believe that.  Oh I know that's on the harsher side of a response, but let's not be unrealistic here.

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

10 hours ago, E-waste said:

Yeah, ask yourself how many smaerphones are recycled for mineral recovery, in all history of smaerphones for this entire phone / smartphone area and see how well you agree with it.

Go look at "toxicity" on youtube.  With service providers incentivicing two-year or even new model upgrades yearly, you can't possibly believe that.  Oh I know that's on the harsher side of a response, but let's not be unrealistic here.

Nice job omitting the important first part of the sentence in what you quoted. 

I use my phone 16 hours a day for music, being reachable etc. Every day. And after 3 years I trade it in, which most likely leads to it being sold as refurbished. So you can do the math how much waste per hour of use this causes. Compare that to literally everything else we use. Just look at 3 years of bottled water, fast food wrap, packaging or whatever people use. Or look at the typical gaming PC if you want to limit this discussion to electronic waste. My car has more electronics per year of ownership (and much more per hour of use), plus the rest of the car and fuel. And you think replacing a broken phone is the biggest issue?

And I believe OP only wanted to buy a single phone. So don't talk about the problems ALL phones combined cause.

When you buy a new phone you often can trade the old one in. Some of them may be refurbished and sold. Also may be able to sell or donate to a refurbisher if there is value.

Things just have a useful life. After that repairs often are not economical, also not from an environmental point. At that point it is better to recycle it. 

Edit: and I'm all for using less and longer. But look at all the crap we now use. Smartwatches, a bike used to be just a bike, now they have bike computers, electronic shifting, power meter, and other sensors, e-motors etc. and none of that is made to last or be supported for many years. SRAM now has cranks with power meter built in and when the chainring wears out, you need a whole new crank and power meter (they give you a discount for sending the old one back - that thing cost more than most phones). A phone at least one could argue really is needed to participate in modern society. No one really needs blinky lights stitched into clothing, and all that other throwaway stuff. So maybe put the phone in relation to everything else. Omit all the useless electronics (and other crap) and you more than make up for a phone. I also think the focus on reparability legislation is a bit mis-guided if there is no requirement to provide maybe 5+ years of software support like the premium phones have.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

16 hours ago, Lurking said:

I also think the focus on reparability legislation is a bit mis-guided if there is no requirement to provide maybe 5+ years of software support like the premium phones have.

Agreed on everything except the last part, I know security is important, but third party patches can keep your phone up to date, and there aren’t easy consumer created ways to source parts. The hardware can last forever, but the software will inevitably fall out of support at some point.

check your cables!

1 hour ago, Kazooduck said:

Agreed on everything except the last part, I know security is important, but third party patches can keep your phone up to date, and there aren’t easy consumer created ways to source parts. The hardware can last forever, but the software will inevitably fall out of support at some point.

I'm curious who makes those patches? Aren't those specific to the phone, or at least the Android version? And will they really be up to date (meaning cover then recent threats in a timely manner)? Like my Pixel 6 gets patches from Google till 2027 and they will be installed automatically. I assume for 3rd party, it will require some finding out and manual process. So this may not be what "normal" users will be able or willing to do. 

I realize there are people who may make those patches as a hobby and out of the goodness of their heart. But if it doesn't come from the phone manufacturer (who got money from me, and has a reputation at stake) I wouldn't even know if that website with patches isn't actually just some Russian hacker making me install a trojan. 

I guess if security patches can be obtained, then the phone can last as long as it lasts or till it will be too weak for future applications. For a broken phone like the OP's it still is questionable. If new screen and battery cost close to $200, one may as well get a refurbished Pixel 6a for $300 and have a warranty and almost 5 years of easy updates and way better hardware. So for $100 difference this is a very meaningful upgrade compared to repair. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

6 hours ago, Lurking said:

I'm curious who makes those patches? Aren't those specific to the phone, or at least the Android version? And will they really be up to date (meaning cover then recent threats in a timely manner)? Like my Pixel 6 gets patches from Google till 2027 and they will be installed automatically. I assume for 3rd party, it will require some finding out and manual process. So this may not be what "normal" users will be able or willing to do. 

I realize there are people who may make those patches as a hobby and out of the goodness of their heart. But if it doesn't come from the phone manufacturer (who got money from me, and has a reputation at stake) I wouldn't even know if that website with patches isn't actually just some Russian hacker making me install a trojan. 

I guess if security patches can be obtained, then the phone can last as long as it lasts or till it will be too weak for future applications. For a broken phone like the OP's it still is questionable. If new screen and battery cost close to $200, one may as well get a refurbished Pixel 6a for $300 and have a warranty and almost 5 years of easy updates and way better hardware. So for $100 difference this is a very meaningful upgrade compared to repair. 

Yea it’s all 3rd party and not trustworthy, but I argue that both need to be supported. It doesn’t really matter what’s “more important”

check your cables!

13 minutes ago, Kazooduck said:

Yea it’s all 3rd party and not trustworthy, but I argue that both need to be supported. It doesn’t really matter what’s “more important”

I think "not trustworthy" and "SECURITY patch" should not be in the same sentence 🙂

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

On 1/11/2023 at 8:44 AM, Commodus said:

CDMA carrier (i.e. Verizon or networks based on it),

December Verizon shut down its 3G network and in March of last year T Mobile killed off Sprints 3G network. Technically CDMA is 3G. Im not sure what thats going to mean for compatibility however at least right at the moment. I would expect over time phones will just be supported on all networks based on what frequencies the phone has. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 1/13/2023 at 6:32 PM, Lurking said:

. But if it doesn't come from the phone manufacturer (who got money from me, and has a reputation at stake)

These companies do not give flying saucer about their "reputation".  Why?  Because we are supoosed to believe that the security patches are developed by the brand that sells the device.

You're telling me thst Samsung has a security team, separate from Google, that releases security patches specific to the hardware inside each of their devices.

That would be an abysmal model for "security".  All 100+ brands, having 100 separate security department / spftware development, 100 different update releases.  I hope that's not how blatantly terrible updates work on Android.

The way I see this working is ALL updates and security updates come from Google and ONLY Google.  Now, there is brand-specific software amd updates, but I'd bet brand specific, samsung-specific, etc, security updates are not a thing.

Maybe I'm totally incorrect, and will gladly be so, but this is the impression I get from the android system.

Software suggestions

On 1/14/2023 at 8:24 AM, Donut417 said:

December Verizon shut down its 3G network and in March of last year T Mobile killed off Sprints 3G network. Technically CDMA is 3G. Im not sure what thats going to mean for compatibility however at least right at the moment. I would expect over time phones will just be supported on all networks based on what frequencies the phone has. 

Ah, that's right. In that case, you'd mainly need to be sure a device can be activated on Verizon and uses at least its LTE bands (5G preferably, too).

• 1 year later...

Well I put it off another year and finally gave up and bought something. A couple weeks ago Dan mentioned on stream using a Sony phone so I went and ordered a Sony Xperia 1 V.

Welp. The 3a was $400 USD. MSRP of the 1V: $1400. How much am I willing to pay for a headphone jack? Apparently 1k. But also the black model was $200 off so I payed 1200 and didn't get the more interesting green one. I also didn't want to trade in my old phone to the verizon dealer for a deal.

The 1V is just about as wide as the 3a, but is rather taller. And I'm actually putting a case on this phone. Feels kind too big. oh well.

Not super into the fingerprint reader being on the power button. Often I just want to look at the lock screen. And I also disable the tap screen to show lock. But at least it does its job well.

But in the week I've had it, I've used the headphone jack and I'll get to continue to for years to come. Good luck all shoping lol

My old phone's screen:

screen_on.JPG

screen_off.JPG