Can you (safely) swap from ' Windows Enterprise LTSC ' to Pro with a key?

DanWhite

Hello, so I bought this laptop and the people from the store said like 'Oh, it comes with Ubuntu by default, and we install this version of windows on it, we can activate it for you when the key expires in 5 months and the 1st activation is free, but after that it costs money. You can bring the machine here and we can install it another windows version if you want, it'll cost 37 USD (it might not seem like much but where it live it is a bunch tho, I'm from latin america), that for a installation of windows, when it is so easy to do lol.

So, as it shows up if you search it up, can you use a windows 10 pro key to swap from Windows Enterprise LTSC to Pro for example? just put the key in and it like transforms into W10 Pro automatically, without future problems? seems to good to be true so I wanted to ask, thank you in advance.

It might be by using a generic key (not a valid activation key. It's a transition key)

I found this

#1 Downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Pro by Changing Product Key

The easiest way to turn Win10 Enterprise into Win10 Pro is to alter the Windows Registration key. However, you need to rely on a generic product key below as transit.

• For Windows 10 Pro: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
  • For Windows 10 Pro N: 2B87N-8KFHP-DKV6R-Y2C8J-PKCKT

Now, let’s see how to downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Pro:

1. Navigate to Windows 10 Enterprise Settings > Update & security > Activation.
  2. In the right section, click on the Change product key option.
  3. Next, input the Windows 10 Pro generic product key above into the column.
  4. Confirm the change with the Activate button.

change Windows product key

If your Enterprise edition is upgraded from Pro before, you will be activated directly to the Pro edition after the above steps. If not, you have to further activate your system with a valid Windows 10 Pro license key that you should have got in the above preparation.

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/downgrade-windows-10-enterprise-to-pro.html

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It might be by using a generic key (not a valid activation key. It's a transition key)

I found this

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/downgrade-windows-10-enterprise-to-pro.html

Yeah I know thank you thank you but I posted this in case someone that's well informed about the subject sees this and can let me know if doing it can give any sort of problems in the future with the computer, etc. I did that with my old computer and not too long after it stopped working so you know, I'm not doing that again until I find out for sure

If you have a key, can't you wipe the drive and clean install your version of windows and then activate with the key?

Or just replace the drive and install your windows?

3 minutes ago, RokInAmerica said:

If you have a key, can't you wipe the drive and clean install your version of windows and then activate with the key?

Or just replace the drive and install your windows?

No, thank you, I need help with wha'ts asked above, not with other methods.

Technically and short answer is Yes you can! However, personally, I would not advice it, specially if it's from a company pc or was activated using cracks/ksm. It might not change the group policies and other settings and locking those features, plus potential spywares. Finding each of these policy and settings, then correcting/fixing/enabling them, might take more time than just a clean install.

58 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

Technically and short answer is Yes you can! However, personally, I would not advice it, specially if it's from a company pc or was activated using cracks/ksm. It might not change the group policies and other settings and locking those features, plus potential spywares. Finding each of these policy and settings, then correcting/fixing/enabling them, might take more time than just a clean install.

It is a new PC, bought from a legit store. The people from the store installed and activated this windows enterprise ltsc

1 hour ago, DanWhite said:

It is a new PC, bought from a legit store. The people from the store installed and activated this windows enterprise ltsc

Then you can just enter a different key and make sure that the key is tied to your microsoft account,(so that you can transfer the key once you upgrade your computer), as some licenses/keys are tried to the motherboard. But I'm overly paranoid with severe trust issue, so I would still do a clean install. It would probably take 30min-1hr tops, to get everything setup. Download win10 directly from microsoft website, create a bootable drive, install it and drivers, then optimized settings and forcibly uninstall/disable all "spyware" from microsoft. Or you can just use a different key(pro) and call it a day, it's up to you.

5 hours ago, kitnoman said:

Then you can just enter a different key and make sure that the key is tied to your microsoft account,(so that you can transfer the key once you upgrade your computer), as some licenses/keys are tried to the motherboard. But I'm overly paranoid with severe trust issue, so I would still do a clean install. It would probably take 30min-1hr tops, to get everything setup. Download win10 directly from microsoft website, create a bootable drive, install it and drivers, then optimized settings and forcibly uninstall/disable all "spyware" from microsoft. Or you can just use a different key(pro) and call it a day, it's up to you.

Yeah but I just want to know if this process (use key to swap windows version) would give me any future problems with the computer, I think I read somewhere that the OS can get bricked doing this, when it tries to update with windows update it becomes more and more unstable until it stops working. So, do you have any idea if doing its safe? and won't have problems like the one I mentioned