I bought an iTunes movie and I want to download it, am I pirating?

nieblas008
Go to solution Solved by tikker,
57 minutes ago, nieblas008 said:

Now, question is: is it ok to look to download content that way? And if not, is there another store where I could download actual files?

I am not aware of any streaming service that offers actual files, since that would be piracy heaven. This inability to have a copy is why the term "buy" on streaming services has been under fire in the past. It quickly becomes vague or borderline misleading what you are actually buying. If you take Amazon's Prime terms for example:

h. Limited License to Digital Content. Subject to payment of any charges to rent, purchase, or access Digital Content, and your compliance with all terms of this Agreement, Amazon grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited license, during the applicable Viewing Period, to access and view the Digital Content in accordance with the Usage Rules, for personal, non-commercial, private use. We may automatically remove Digital Content from your Compatible Device after the end of its Viewing Period.

In this case you are buying access to the movie and not a copy of said movie, like with a DVD or Blu-ray. You can of course debate if there is any real difference between "having access" and "getting a copy".

Apple does seem to imply somewhat otherwise:

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/

- Purchased Content will generally remain available for you to download, redownload, or otherwise access from Apple. Though it is unlikely, subsequent to your purchase, Content may be removed from the Services (for instance, because the provider removed it) and become unavailable for further download or access from Apple. To ensure your ability to continue enjoying Content, we encourage you to download all purchased Content to a device in your possession and to back it up.

so as far as downloading it in iTunes and keeping a backup of that you should be fine, but getting the actual file to use on other devices most likely requires breaking the DRM protection, which is not allowed under most laws (it's good to check local laws regarding this, because the rules about being allowed to make a copy for personal use do not apply to streaming services in our copyright law, for example, due to their on-demand nature). Similarly, breaking the copy-protection on discs is also typically not allowed, but usually conflicts with the right to a home copy and can thus end up a bit of a gray area.

Recently I came across LTT's video on how to setup a Plex server and rewatched (I watch the videos daily as if it was a religion). This time I got curious and started to wonder how I could put all my media on a drive. I watch almost exclusively movies I buy on iTunes, so no streaming services usually. I know that there is a download button on the Apple TV app but that would only work for my Mac and not for other devices. I don't know much about copyright and things like that, but my only purpose would be personal, to use MY bought content on Apple TV on MY devices. Now, question is: is it ok to look to download content that way? And if not, is there another store where I could download actual files?

Again please keep in mind I have little to no knowledge about this topic, that's why I'm asking beforehand, thanks.

There is copyright protection that will probably prevent you from just "drag and dropping" downloaded files from your iTunes download library onto your PLEX server. 
There is an iTunes app for windows and android. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Are you asking people to make a moral judgment? Most reasonable people would say there is nothing wrong with making a copy of media you legally own for personal use. This is functionally no different from ripping as Blu-Ray you bought. I don't know what Apple would say if you asked them but I also wouldn't care. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

You bought it, who cares what the tos says.

you did not buy it. You rented it until the server no longer offers the content. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

2 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

you did not buy it. You rented it until the server no longer offers the content. 

Fuck 'em, if I buy something, I'll do what I like with it so I can continue to have access to it whenever I want even if I don't have internet access.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Are you asking people to make a moral judgment? Most reasonable people would say there is nothing wrong with making a copy of media you legally own for personal use. This is functionally no different from ripping as Blu-Ray you bought. I don't know what Apple would say if you asked them but I also wouldn't care. 

Yeah well I know most people wouldn't consider it wrong, but since most of this services are "you own a license, not the content", that's where my question comes from. I'm just starting to build my movie collection so I only have like 4 movies bought. Wouldn't mind buying them again, as long as where I buy them, I can download them, you know, for personal use and move them from device to device. My example with Apple TV is that I cannot move them to a Windows or Android device, or a Plex server.

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Fuck 'em, if I buy something, I'll do what I like with it so I can continue to have access to it whenever I want even if I don't have internet access.

Well that's the point. You bought a license that prohibits you from doing whatever you want. You didn't buy the movie 😉 

Just now, Senzelian said:

Well that's the point. You bought a license that prohibits you from doing whatever you want. You didn't buy the movie 😉 

Fuck 'em.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Fuck 'em.

@ mods this girl said a mean word and shows apathy for the legally binding TOS they signed. please lock them up. 

nah, but for real. definitely backup any thing you ever think you want to see again. #datahoarder

On a legal level in accordance with DMCA, yes you are still pirating. The two events, buying the movie from iTunes and downloading a DRM-free copy from somewhere else, are independent of each other. A loose analogy would be for you to go to a store and buying the Blu-Ray and then going to a theater and watching the movie without paying.

Now you might think that, since you've done your part and spent money so that the movie has gained some money, it justifies you having the ability to watch the movie on your own terms. That's up for debate.

I don't think there are any platforms that sells movies from the major studios without any sort of DRM on it.

57 minutes ago, nieblas008 said:

Now, question is: is it ok to look to download content that way? And if not, is there another store where I could download actual files?

I am not aware of any streaming service that offers actual files, since that would be piracy heaven. This inability to have a copy is why the term "buy" on streaming services has been under fire in the past. It quickly becomes vague or borderline misleading what you are actually buying. If you take Amazon's Prime terms for example:

h. Limited License to Digital Content. Subject to payment of any charges to rent, purchase, or access Digital Content, and your compliance with all terms of this Agreement, Amazon grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, limited license, during the applicable Viewing Period, to access and view the Digital Content in accordance with the Usage Rules, for personal, non-commercial, private use. We may automatically remove Digital Content from your Compatible Device after the end of its Viewing Period.

In this case you are buying access to the movie and not a copy of said movie, like with a DVD or Blu-ray. You can of course debate if there is any real difference between "having access" and "getting a copy".

Apple does seem to imply somewhat otherwise:

https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/

- Purchased Content will generally remain available for you to download, redownload, or otherwise access from Apple. Though it is unlikely, subsequent to your purchase, Content may be removed from the Services (for instance, because the provider removed it) and become unavailable for further download or access from Apple. To ensure your ability to continue enjoying Content, we encourage you to download all purchased Content to a device in your possession and to back it up.

so as far as downloading it in iTunes and keeping a backup of that you should be fine, but getting the actual file to use on other devices most likely requires breaking the DRM protection, which is not allowed under most laws (it's good to check local laws regarding this, because the rules about being allowed to make a copy for personal use do not apply to streaming services in our copyright law, for example, due to their on-demand nature). Similarly, breaking the copy-protection on discs is also typically not allowed, but usually conflicts with the right to a home copy and can thus end up a bit of a gray area.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 hour ago, VioDuskar said:

I've had the situation where the content was no longer on iTunes, but I had it downloaded onto my PC through the iTunes app. The DRM was removed, and I could play it on any device. Granted, this was a music video, so it's not necessarily going to have the same rules as movies or TV shows.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I've had the situation where the content was no longer on iTunes, but I had it downloaded onto my PC through the iTunes app. The DRM was removed, and I could play it on any device. Granted, this was a music video, so it's not necessarily going to have the same rules as movies or TV shows.

that's pretty certified Neato™ 

46 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

On a legal level in accordance with DMCA, yes you are still pirating. The two events, buying the movie from iTunes and downloading a DRM-free copy from somewhere else, are independent of each other. A loose analogy would be for you to go to a store and buying the Blu-Ray and then going to a theater and watching the movie without paying.

Now you might think that, since you've done your part and spent money so that the movie has gained some money, it justifies you having the ability to watch the movie on your own terms. That's up for debate.

I don't think there are any platforms that sells movies from the major studios without any sort of DRM on it.

The license would only be for the movie under that medium. Watching it at a movie theater is a different medium. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, VioDuskar said:

that's pretty certified Neato™ 

There used to be methods to circumvent the DRM, but Apple cracked down on them. I know, because I used to use those methods to remove the DRM lol. Any discussion of that here though would be against the CoC.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

There used to be methods to circumvent the DRM, but Apple cracked down on them. I know, because I used to use those methods to remove the DRM lol. Any discussion of that here though would be against the CoC.

did you just admit to removing or bypassing DRM?? that's illegal, go to TechyJail™ @ Staff please arrest this man. Please use Tape to fix this man to a jail cell. if the tape doesn't fix it, nothing can. 

4 hours ago, nieblas008 said:

is it ok to look to download content that way?

Depends on where you live in the world. Under the DMCA, which is the US's copy right law, its illegal to break copy protection on video files. That means technically speaking if you rip a DVD and there is copy protection on the disk and you circumvent that copy protection you are technically a pirate. 

The big thing however is that unless you distribute copy righted materials you will not go to jail or have to pay a fine to the government. HOWEVER if you are caught downloading videos you may be sued by the movie studio who owns the content. The big take away here, is dont use BitTorrent without a VPN because the way that protocol works, you share some of the file and legally could go to jail, but generally I dont think the government really enforces that law as its not easily enforceable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Depends on where you live in the world. Under the DMCA, which is the US's copy right law, its illegal to break copy protection on video files. That means technically speaking if you rip a DVD and there is copy protection on the disk and you circumvent that copy protection you are technically a pirate. 

The big thing however is that unless you distribute copy righted materials you will not go to jail or have to pay a fine to the government. HOWEVER if you are caught downloading videos you may be sued by the movie studio who owns the content. The big take away here, is dont use BitTorrent without a VPN because the way that protocol works, you share some of the file and legally could go to jail, but generally I dont think the government really enforces that law as its not easily enforceable. 

if it was enforced, enough of the 146millions working americans would go to jail that it would crimple our economy. and we can't have that. no sir-e bob.