Pirate vs Buy

deafboy

i dont pirate games unless im unsure i will like it and there is no good review, and i stream music or buy, i do mostly pirate movies due to the fact that i dont care to watch them really so would NEVER consider buying one, i stream shows and anim

Anime :3

What the hey....

While I was a student I would pirate everything but now I have an income I generally try and support the dev's/artists/content creators I like.

Sometimes I am forced to pirate music because the producers only are selling it on itunes and I refuse to even have that horrible piece of software installed on any of my devices, let alone buying stuff through it. 

TV shows are actually something I commonly pirate and do not feel too much remorse over doing so. The TV networks of my country will buy the shows anyway and then broadcast them on free to air so whether I watch them a few weeks earlier online or watch them when they air on TV makes little difference in my mind, normally its the flexibility of deciding when I watch them that I prefer. I do realise that there is the whole "tragedy of the commons" argument here where if everyone did as I did then the networks advertising revenue would likely decrease and they would no longer be able to buy the shows and then the original creators/networks will be losing out.  But I feel that I am more in the minority than the majority, in NZ at least. 

EDIT - Also I do agree with the general sentiment of try before you buy, especially with expensive software packages and/or some games I am on the fence about.

i pirate games but that's only to greedy devs such as EA, activi$ion that have fobbed us off with incomplete games such as BF4 and simcity and im not going to give them another cent of my money.

Other than that, if a game is legit good, like the upcoming GTAV, i will buy them and enjoy the MP.

I do not pirate for the poll I chose other for the what and why since there was no (I dont option)

I don't don't agree there is any excuse for it and I actually hate it and people that do, sorry if that is you

The only thing I have that would be anywhere close, is a play station 1 emulator on my shield, to play PS1 games that are not available for the PS Vita however I do have those games for the ps1 that I still own. Though I do not like that I have to do this. If those games were available to purchase for a few £££ or all ps1 games were on the VITA then I wouldnt even do this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The poll is a bit broken. You have a 0% option, but then have to fill in answers on what you pirate and why you pirate in order to submit. You need to add a 'nothing' and 'I don't pirate' option to make it workable. 

For the record, I do pirate a little, but not in any of the cases you list.

I only pirate TV shows that I literally can't access otherwise. If I like those shows, I tend to get the Bluray boxset later so feel no moral pangs over this.

For example, in the UK HBO gave Sky sole rights to GoT so I literally can't pay for it on my service provider (Virgin Media). I have to either switch providers, or pay a subscription to a Sky owned streaming service that is well over the odds for a single channel. 

I buy the Bluray set of GoT when it comes out every year, but I am not going to wait for it to be spoiled for me until then. This was flat-out stupid of HBO. I would happily pay for the channel to watch it legally on my own service provider if I was able; they've given me no chance to do so.

In terms of everything else, if I can buy it, I buy it. I used to pirate when I was younger but I think your sense of morality gets stronger the older you get. If I appreciate someone's work, I don't want to reward them by stealing off them.

I pirate everything, except games :P

I only pirate games to try them out for like 30 minutes or an hour. If I like them, I'll buy them, if I don't like them I'll just uninstall them.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H CPU: i5 4690k GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB @ 1600mhz Case: Fractal Design define R5 CPU-Block: EK-Supremacy Acetal GPU-Block:EK-FC970 GTX WF3 Pump: Alphacool VPP655  Reservoir: EK-XRES 140 D5 HDD: WD Blue 1TB Keyboard: Ducky shine 3 /w mx black

I buy movies in the way of going to the movies but I download any movie I'll watch with friends.

I buy music by going to concerts and Vinyl and download music for my phone.

I buy games on Steam, I don't pirate games.

My philosophies on piracy. I pirate software (adobe, flstudio, etc) because $$$. I pirate movies because most of them are like a 15 dollar 2 day rental (BS).

I pirate (some) shows because they are either not on Netflix or I am not sure if I will like them enough to pay (Ex. Legend of Korra).

However when it comes to games, I have never pirated a game, there is just no reason to. The ease of acess that has come to gamers through services such as steam is reason enough, plus steam sales. We gamers are the ONLY way of devs making money. Also it is a very compelling value, I currently have 700 hours logged on CS: GO ($15 game), where a 2 hour movie costs 10 dollars >.>

I used to torrent games but I don't anymore just because how cheap you can get them online now and how easy it is to use it. No more fumbeling about with iso's rar's with passwords, no-cd patches etc. Just cheap online, validate key on steam or something and download at full speed.

If netflix would ever come to belgium I'd probably use it for my series and movies.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Its been a while since I have pirated a game. Years I think :) I have only downloaded one game through pirate bay recently because after I bought the game it would've taken too long to download the game from their servers and PirateBay was 6 times quicker.

TV shows I do, though I should really get Netflix. Problem is that Netflix would lag out too much during peak hours due to crappy internet :( Also since Austar is stupidly pricey and sill has fucking ads to tell you the shows coming up... I mean really? The reason why I hate TV is because of the loud and annoying ads :( ah well

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

I pirate movies shamelessly, spending $20-$30 per BluRay is ridiculous. I also torrent games before I buy them. Try before you buy since no one makes damn demos anymore. All my current games are legit now but my movie library...yeah.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

I pirate mostly just to try out software before I buy it.

I mostly pirate software because it is way to damn expensive for me to afford. Even though there are free alternatives such as Blender and GIMP because in the games design industry a lot of software is standardised e.g. 3ds Max, Maya, etc. It is virtually impossible to get employment in the industry without experience with these software packages. 

I never pirate games unless their DRM Free. 

CPU: Intel 4770K 3.5GHz RAM: 16GB Corsair vengeance Pro 2400MHz MOBO: ASUS Z87-WS GPU: Nvidia Quadro K2000 PSU: Corsair RM650W

Does streaming count as pirating :lol: ..... say if one was to stream movies? :ph34r:

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

I pirate movies, music and books

However i do not support pirating games

So did you draw the line arbitrarily, or do you actually have a good reason for not supporting piracy of games when you pirate everything else?

So did you draw the line arbitrarily, or do you actually have a good reason for not supporting piracy of games when you pirate everything else?

I can't be bothered paying for music, most of mine is free

Movies make millions, however i still go to the cinema

A barely ever read books anyways, i will still buy a few

I feel the game devs deserve the money the most, and i enjoy legitimately owning a game

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

I mainly pirate movies, only because the 10-20 dollars for a disc or copy is too much for something I might watch once or twice and don't really need on hand all the time

I still watch a lot in theaters first tho

[spoiler=Current Rig:]i5-4670K @ 4.4 Ghz on 1.3v | MSI Z87I | GTX 780 @ 1150 Mhz | 2x8GB ADATA XPG | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | CM V700 PSU | Custom Watercooled in a Caselabs S3

[spoiler=Peripherals:]Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 | Corsair K70 | Sennheiser Urbanite headphones | Corsair Vengeance MM200 | Asus PB278Q + Samsung 22"

It's an  interesting topic when people say they DONT Pirate games but have no problems Pirating movies.

Whilst it seems almost hypocritical, my person reasoning lies with the money being paid to film makers as opposed to game developers. The earning of a Director are redicilious and unless they're giving a heap of that to charity no one should be earning that much. If they don't like Piracy, lower your initial fee's, make the films cheaper and easier to buy and then because of more sales your profit will become higher as they have a % of profit built into their contracts.   

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

I pirate virtually everything. If I like it, however, I buy it. When I was younger and had no money, I pirated content that I could otherwise not have enjoyed due to lack of funds. Another huge reason for pirating content (primarily movies) is when many foreign films are unavailable locally or simply have not had professional translations. I pirate television series like Game of Thrones because I refuse to pay for HBO for one show. I keep the episodes until the season has been released on Blu-ray. With software and games, there are some that have been rendered nearly unusable/unplayable by overzealous DRM schemes and, ironically, the only usable/playable copy is the pirated one.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

My whole family does it so it came naturally, I'm noy proud of it but what can you fo when your dad thought you how to do it

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

Not sure if this has become common knowledge, but Australia is the biggest pirate nation worldwide, probably not on a capacity level but per capita certainly.

The primary reasons for this I believe would be price discrepancy and availability.

Take these comparative examples:

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection:

USD $2599.00

AUD $3949.00

And that's straight from their website.  Considering that these are digitally distributed, and there is no physical media that needs transporting, there should be no reason for this price difference.

Sad thing is its not just Adobe.  Every digital distributor takes part in this discrimination.

Autodesk AutoCAD 2015:

USD $4195/year

AUD $5925/year

Then there's the problem of availability.  Netflix isn't in this country and cable TV is just too expensive and contractual for it to be appealing.  A large number of retail sellers online either cannot or refuse to sell their wares here like Amazon and Newegg (I don't know why?) and some games are completely banned outright (such as Mortal Combat before the R18+ rating was implemented) or at least censored (like Southpark Stick of Truth).  Cartoons are just too much for Aussies to handle apparently.

Now this government want's to implement strong internet monitoring/fines/imprisonment to counter this, when they should be looking at ways in which to decrease cost, and increase availability to this country.  Believe me Australia would legally purchase their media if these two issues were addressed.

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

Why was there I don't pirate in the bottom 2 options 

Not sure if this has become common knowledge, but Australia is the biggest pirate nation worldwide, probably not on a capacity level but per capita certainly.

The primary reasons for this I believe would be price discrepancy and availability.

Take these comparative examples:

Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection:

USD $2599.00

AUD $3949.00

And that's straight from their website.  Considering that these are digitally distributed, and there is no physical media that needs transporting, there should be no reason for this price difference.

Sad thing is its not just Adobe.  Every digital distributor takes part in this discrimination.

Autodesk AutoCAD 2015:

USD $4195/year

AUD $5925/year

Then there's the problem of availability.  Netflix isn't in this country and cable TV is just too expensive and contractual for it to be appealing.  A large number of retail sellers online either cannot or refuse to sell their wares here like Amazon and Newegg (I don't know why?) and some games are completely banned outright (such as Mortal Combat before the R18+ rating was implemented) or at least censored (like Southpark Stick of Truth).  Cartoons are just too much for Aussies to handle apparently.

Now this government want's to implement strong internet monitoring/fines/imprisonment to counter this, when they should be looking at ways in which to decrease cost, and increase availability to this country.  Believe me Australia would legally purchase their media if these two issues were addressed.

It's not just taht, you are downloading from North American servers. Its like they fixed their price differences 20 years ago and missed the memo where the AUD trades at $0.92USD, not $0.50USD.

Also, DVDs cost $30 brand new, games for console costs $110. 

Cable TV has no competition, it's Foxtel or nothing.

Yep, and unfortunately for us both sides of politics support such matters, even though the highest court in the land ruled in Roadshow Films v iiNet that such laws are crap.

I buy a pretty small percentage of stuff I enjoy. The thing is that I would pay for it if my parents let me. They think that I should keep most of my money for the future and just download for free whatever I can (doesn't mean I don't buy anything...Hell my steam library has 38 games, it's just that it is nothing compared to my pirated games library).And you know what? They're right. I will pay for the stuff I enjoy once I make my own money, since even if I bought everything, it wouldn't really be "me" paying it.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)