been having this issue for over a year.

Hey tech enthusiasts! I've got a perplexing challenge for you all that's been stumping everyone so far. Here are the specs of my rig, assembled back in 2020: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, AMD RX6800XT, and Corsair 32 GB of RAM. If you need more details, just ask!

Here's the problem: my computer randomly blacks out, displaying a "no signal" message on the monitor, while the audio continues playing in the background. To resolve it, I've resorted to the power button, forcing a shutdown and reboot. I've gone through a ton of troubleshooting steps. Even rolling back to an ancient GPU driver version didn't help—it still blacks out. I attempted undervolting the GPU, suspecting a PSU issue, but no luck there either. Googling hasn't yielded any solutions. Oh, and every time I reboot, the device manager shows the graphics card as disabled. I toggle it back on, but the problem persists until I reboot again.

If any of you can crack this puzzle, there's a BIG COOKIE waiting for you! It's driving me nuts, and I'm open to any suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PC repair store, and I doubt they'd take on my personally built rig anyway.

Well, I like cookies, so this deal is obviously hard to pass up. 😉

Have you tried using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) on the drivers before installing a new driver package?

What OS? Is it a fresh install? Have you tried a fresh install? Is it completely up to date?

Is the BIOS on the motherboard up to date?

Are the chipset drivers up to date?

Does the 6800 XT have a toggle switch for using a different Firmware/BIOS?

Is there a Firmware/BIOS update available for your 6800 XT?

Have you tried running more voltage instead of less?

Have you tried seeing if it's your RAM/Memory by taking out a stick and using one stick at a time?

Have you tried the card in another system or another card in your system to see if the problem reoccurs? 

Have you checked or analyzed Event Viewer after an incident like this happens and see what it's reporting?

Can you force a scenario like this to happen, by stress testing with 3DMark or UNIGINE or even a tasking game?

Have you tried using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) on the drivers before installing a new driver package? Yes 

What OS? Is it a fresh install? Have you tried a fresh install? Is it completely up to date? Windows 11 and i have done a fresh reinstall of it.

Is the BIOS on the motherboard up to date? I have no idea how to check that

Are the chipset drivers up to date? i think so?

Does the 6800 XT have a toggle switch for using a different Firmware/BIOS? I dont believe it does

Is there a Firmware/BIOS update available for your 6800 XT? didnt know there was Bios for GPU

Have you tried running more voltage instead of less? No ill try it tho

Have you tried seeing if it's your RAM/Memory by taking out a stick and using one stick at a time? Yes No issues

Have you tried the card in another system or another card in your system to see if the problem reoccurs? Dont have another system nor another card.

Have you checked or analyzed Event Viewer after an incident like this happens and see what it's reporting? I have but idk what im looking for

Can you force a scenario like this to happen, by stress testing with 3DMark or UNIGINE or even a tasking game? No i have run stress tests the only thing i can repeat is any very light small movement does set it off but also if im just sitting and watching youtube it goes off. But I can play RDR2 for hours with nothing wrong. So I have no idea

14 hours ago, brandon2121 said:

Have you tried using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) on the drivers before installing a new driver package? Yes ✔

What OS? Is it a fresh install? Have you tried a fresh install? Is it completely up to date? Windows 11 and i have done a fresh reinstall of it. ✔

Is the BIOS on the motherboard up to date? I have no idea how to check that

Are the chipset drivers up to date? i think so? 

Does the 6800 XT have a toggle switch for using a different Firmware/BIOS? I dont believe it does

Is there a Firmware/BIOS update available for your 6800 XT? didnt know there was Bios for GPU

Have you tried running more voltage instead of less? No ill try it tho

Have you tried seeing if it's your RAM/Memory by taking out a stick and using one stick at a time? Yes No issues ✔

Have you tried the card in another system or another card in your system to see if the problem reoccurs? Dont have another system nor another card.

Have you checked or analyzed Event Viewer after an incident like this happens and see what it's reporting? I have but idk what im looking for

Can you force a scenario like this to happen, by stress testing with 3DMark or UNIGINE or even a tasking game? No i have run stress tests the only thing i can repeat is any very light small movement does set it off but also if im just sitting and watching youtube it goes off. But I can play RDR2 for hours with nothing wrong. So I have no idea

What motherboard is it and I'll direct you on how to find the BIOS and how to update it.

They won't be up to date, unless you updated them manually most likely. Therefore, I'll lean towards probably not. After we update your BIOS we can try updating to the newest chipset drivers.

What is the make and model of your 6800 XT, I can see if it comes with a BIOS switch. Additionally, there are BIOS/Firmware on GPUs. If there's an updated one, I can see after you provide the Make/Model of your 6800 XT.

Running more voltage into your GPU could help with stability in some cases (especially if it's beginning to die). Typically, you can also underclock at the same voltage as an alternative. I would recommend trying this: underclocking core and memory values at the same or higher voltage. 

I know you say you have no other systems or cards, but do you have any friends or relatives to help you out? Can you buy a temporary GPU to test out? Another question, you say this issue has been persistent for a year, did it always have this issue?

When you enter Event Viewer: under 'Custom Views' and 'Administrative Events', there should be a related listing around the time that it occurs, which would coincide with what is possibly going wrong. Also, under 'Windows Logs' and 'System'. In either section, there could be something useful related to the graphics driver in there. You would want to check these Event Viewer sections, right after it happens. Then try to get the time listed precise to locate the corresponding log.

Basically, from what you are telling me, it's not always repeatable, and there isn't a particular occurrence causing it to happen (or that it happens at random). Event Viewer could provide clarity on this.

Have you tried reseating the GPU? Unplugging the GPU completely, including PCIe power cables, removing from PCIe slot, then re-slotting it back in and reconnecting cables.  

Lastly, what kind of cable are you using to connect to your monitor: HDMI or DisplayPort? Have you tried using different HDMI or DisplayPort ports on the GPU? Have you tried different cables? Do you have another monitor or TV or screen you can test out too (to keep eliminating possibilities)? 

3 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

What motherboard is it and I'll direct you on how to find the BIOS and how to update it.

They won't be up to date, unless you updated them manually most likely. Therefore, I'll lean towards probably not. After we update your BIOS we can try updating to the newest chipset drivers.

What is the make and model of your 6800 XT, I can see if it comes with a BIOS switch. Additionally, there are BIOS/Firmware on GPUs. If there's an updated one, I can see after you provide the Make/Model of your 6800 XT.

Running more voltage into your GPU could help with stability in some cases (especially if it's beginning to die). Typically, you can also underclock at the same voltage as an alternative. I would recommend trying this: underclocking core and memory values at the same or higher voltage. 

I know you say you have no other systems or cards, but do you have any friends or relatives to help you out? Can you buy a temporary GPU to test out? Another question, you say this issue has been persistent for a year, did it always have this issue?

When you enter Event Viewer: under 'Custom Views' and 'Administrative Events', there should be a related listing around the time that it occurs, which would coincide with what is possibly going wrong. Also, under 'Windows Logs' and 'System'. In either section, there could be something useful related to the graphics driver in there. You would want to check these Event Viewer sections, right after it happens. Then try to get the time listed precise to locate the corresponding log.

Basically, from what you are telling me, it's not always repeatable, and there isn't a particular occurrence causing it to happen (or that it happens at random). Event Viewer could provide clarity on this.

Have you tried reseating the GPU? Unplugging the GPU completely, including PCIe power cables, removing from PCIe slot, then re-slotting it back in and reconnecting cables.  

Lastly, what kind of cable are you using to connect to your monitor: HDMI or DisplayPort? Have you tried using different HDMI or DisplayPort ports on the GPU? Have you tried different cables? Do you have another monitor or TV or screen you can test out too (to keep eliminating possibilities)? 

I have a ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING Motherboard.

and I have the AMD Model 6800xt no other company made it so the origional one.

I will try to underclock it but I hope its not going to die on me its only 4 years old.

when the crash happens next time I will look into the event viewer.

and I have tried reseating the GPU and the cables it will like work for a month or two without crashes. then it would start again.

and yes I have tried all different kinds of cables ran HDMI and DP tried different cords all the same still black screen and crashes

6 hours ago, brandon2121 said:

I have a ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING Motherboard.

and I have the AMD Model 6800xt no other company made it so the origional one.

I will try to underclock it but I hope its not going to die on me its only 4 years old.

when the crash happens next time I will look into the event viewer.

and I have tried reseating the GPU and the cables it will like work for a month or two without crashes. then it would start again.

and yes I have tried all different kinds of cables ran HDMI and DP tried different cords all the same still black screen and crashes

Here's the newest BIOS for your motherboard, looks like it was released last month:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/BIOS/ROG-STRIX-B550-A-GAMING-ASUS-3607.zip?model=ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING

ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING | Motherboards | ROG Global (asus.com)

Here's a tutorial on how to Flash BIOS:

Here are the newest chipset drivers for your platform, seems they were released two months ago:

B550 Drivers (amd.com)

From my research there's a BIOS/Firmware update provided by Dell and Gigabyte for the RX 6800 XT but I can't find anything on the reference version. Also, it appears there are some Sapphire and XFX models with the BIOS/Firmware toggle switch but not for reference. Weird thing is the Dell BIOS/Firmware update claims it fixes an issue with the 6800 XT and black screens. 🫤 

Might want to see if there is any warranty left and RMA it while you can. 

ya there are no Warranty left for the GPU so hopefully these bios update will work 

33 minutes ago, brandon2121 said:

ya there are no Warranty left for the GPU so hopefully these bios update will work 

Are you sure? The reference cards through AMD have a 2 year warranty starting from the date of purchase. You might have just made it depending on when you bought it.

Besides that, if you get really desperate you can always try this:

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT Firmware Update Utility | Driver Details | Dell US

my warranty is voided after i baught it off 3rd party Ebay

24 minutes ago, brandon2121 said:

my warranty is voided after i baught it off 3rd party Ebay

Warranty usually transfers over to new buyer as far as I know. Never heard of having a warranty being voided because you bought it from eBay or a reseller. Only problem is warranty period begins from the date of the original owner's purchase. Which means with only a 2-year window, you might be out of luck anyway. 🙁

so looking at my event viewer i have a error stating this The AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 service failed to start due to the following error: 
The system cannot find the file specified. and then after that tons of The GameInput Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 5 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Edit: there is also this error 

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_73BF&SUBSYS_0E3A1002&REV_C1\6&13aa1004&0&00000019 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem9.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amduw23g
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: 
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

3 hours ago, brandon2121 said:

so looking at my event viewer i have a error stating this The AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 service failed to start due to the following error: 
The system cannot find the file specified. and then after that tons of The GameInput Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 5 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Edit: there is also this error 

Device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_73BF&SUBSYS_0E3A1002&REV_C1\6&13aa1004&0&00000019 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem9.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Service: amduw23g
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: 
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

When there was an error regarding RyzenMaster, or GameInput Service is there a corresponding error code? 

9 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

When there was an error regarding RyzenMaster, or GameInput Service is there a corresponding error code? 

No there are no Error Codes i can see

3 hours ago, brandon2121 said:

No there are no Error Codes i can see

Interesting. I'm looking for something like this:

16 hours ago, brandon2121 said:

0xC00000E5

Alternatively, in situations like this with certain buggy graphics cards. People have luck taking the card completely apart, cleaning it thoroughly with 99% isopropyl alcohol and re-applying fresh TIM to the die. I would definitely consider this fix on this RX 6800 XT.