Pirate vs Buy

deafboy

When I was a kid and young teenager I always bought music, movies, books, etc because there was no other option.  

Late 1990s early 2000s the ability to pirate become more and more of a thing, albeit through software like KaZaA/Limewire/Napster/etc rather than torrents that took a couple more years to catch on.

Mid-late 2000s the distribution model started to shift and legitimate methods of buying online became more viable.

Was talking to a younger guy the other day and says that he pretty much solely pirates and sees no reason to buy.  We chatted for a while but I don't think his viewpoint changed.  So it made me think a bit.

I grew up buying things and have become accustomed to paying for the things I want and despite there being free options.

It made me curious though.  What percentage of your music/movies/games/books/etc do you pirate?

I don't necessarily want you to post and admit to doing things you might not want public.  Answering the poll is sufficient.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

i dont pirate games unless im unsure i will like it and there is no good review, and i stream music or buy, i do mostly pirate movies due to the fact that i dont care to watch them really so would NEVER consider buying one, i stream shows and anime.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

when I was younger I pirated due to lack of money, but now that I work I pay for everything worth it.  I may download it to check it out first if I'm unsure, if I Like it i buy it, If i don't I delete it.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

I pirate movies, music and books

However i do not support pirating games

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Music stores are rare like unicorns, itunes is disgusting and most of the modern stuff people listen to, it's ear rape to me. I acquire older songs or things that are hard to get a hold of. If it's a song I really like, I'll buy the digital download. I'm anti-itunes, not anti purchasing digital copies. (said copies have to be in a lossless format to deserve a purchase - I'm not spending money on low end MP3s) Generally speaking, I'll just go to Mr. Bay if these are songs I previously had on CDs ect. ages ago and feel like listening to again.

For games, I use Mr. Bay to for 1 of 2 reasons. Either I previously had this game before (I'm not giving you more money, EA. Sod off) or I'm treating it like a demo to try before I buy. There are games I've purchased after enjoying a pirated version. These tend to be multiplayer ones since constantly patching is p. lame. I also use this method to see if a game deserves its price tag. A games worth to me is entertainment value and re-playability value. Stick of Truth is the perfect example of this. Yes, the game was silly, but at 60 dollars for what is a very short game with no multiplayer and very little replay value..that's not worth the price tag even remotely. A friend of mine has said the same about Goat simulator how it's one of those things that's fun for a day or two and that's it.

For books..I don't care for digital copies if it's a serious book. Nothing beats the smell of a real book.

I pirate everything but games. ;)

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I own about 60 games and around 3 of them are pirated, i dont buy movies, i stream and watch tv shows on Netflix, the last CD i purchased in a store was back in 2010 with a few itunes purchases since.. 

I used to pirate things a lot, but now I use it as a 'demo' to see if I like something and if I do I buy it to support the producer if not I delete it. I guess that is the most fair way of using piracy.

I don't pirate anything. I get all of my games off of Steam and all movies off of Netflix. Although occasionally if Netflix doesn't have the movie I'll watch it on one of those free websites, but never actually download the movie. I rarely watch movies anyway. 

90% of my music library is pirated, all of my movies and videos are pirated but pretty much all my games are bought.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

I feel that pirating is completely wrong, and I feel no need to pirate things like music, due to all the great options out there, like Spotify.

Music stores are rare like unicorns, itunes is disgusting and most of the modern stuff people listen to, it's ear rape to me. I acquire older songs or things that are hard to get a hold of. If it's a song I really like, I'll buy the digital download. I'm anti-itunes, not anti purchasing digital copies. (said copies have to be in a lossless format to deserve a purchase - I'm not spending money on low end MP3s) Generally speaking, I'll just go to Mr. Bay if these are songs I previously had on CDs ect. ages ago and feel like listening to again.

For games, I use Mr. Bay to for 1 of 2 reasons. Either I previously had this game before (I'm not giving you more money, EA. Sod off) or I'm treating it like a demo to try before I buy. There are games I've purchased after enjoying a pirated version. These tend to be multiplayer ones since constantly patching is p. lame. I also use this method to see if a game deserves its price tag. A games worth to me is entertainment value and re-playability value. Stick of Truth is the perfect example of this. Yes, the game was silly, but at 60 dollars for what is a very short game with no multiplayer and very little replay value..that's not worth the price tag even remotely. A friend of mine has said the same about Goat simulator how it's one of those things that's fun for a day or two and that's it.

For books..I don't care for digital copies if it's a serious book. Nothing beats the smell of a real book.

I'm anti mp3 too :D but I still. Do digital download. Usual from band camp or beat port where you can get nicer quality that flac though =3 also some electronic stuff on sound cloud that is wav is pretty nice. But if I can I will buy a cd. Oh and for the rest of stuff I don't really pirate anything... Freeware is my game for software. Like blender Oh my days blender is amazing but movies and games I pay for :) also YouTube is free so that's cool..... xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

i usually steal all my music from youtube and convert them to mp3 or whatever, ive never had a pirated game or OS and dont really intend to either 

I'm anti mp3 too :D but I still. Do digital download. Usual from band camp or beat port where you can get nicer quality that flac though =3 also some electronic stuff on sound cloud that is wav is pretty nice. But if I can I will buy a cd. Oh and for the rest of stuff I don't really pirate anything... Freeware is my game for software. Like blender Oh my days blender is amazing but movies and games I pay for :) also YouTube is free so that's cool..... xD

I admit, sometimes you don't get a lossless option, but the highest available MP3. I do like it when you get options to download in various formats when you buy a song, though. :P

I pirate movies, music and books

However i do not support pirating games

Who pirates books? WHAT IS A BOOK? :D

BTW +1 on the, "However i do not support pirating games"

I buy everything and if you pirate rats should eat you alive.

Why pirate music, when you have services like XBox Music, which is free if you have Windows 8 (with ads), or get unlimited download, and streaming, no ads, for 10$ per month (or 100$ per year, or ~50$ per year if you wait in December for special), and works on WinXP and up, web (HTML5, no plugin), WP, iOS, and Android. And the music library is the second largest right behind iTunes.

I pirate by lack of money, and buy what I really want.

Being realistic, if I want to keep my PC up to date with the little income I have as a teenager, I have to pirate some games.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Why pirate music, when you have services like XBox Music, which is free if you have Windows 8 (with ads), or get unlimited download, and streaming, no ads, for 10$ per month (or 100$ per year, or ~50$ per year if you wait in December for special), and works on WinXP and up, web (HTML5, no plugin), WP, iOS, and Android. And the music library is the second largest right behind iTunes.

Because I'm 100% sure they don't have everything in my library. 

No matter how fancy we can make things, the simplest form (pure MP3 file) is the most versatile and best IMO

Error: 410

Because I'm 100% sure they don't have everything in my library.

Well, I guess is depends on what kind of music you listen to, and from which culture. But it does have a couple of famous local artists where I am. You should get music from a country where the service is available. You can fire-up XBox music and search if you have Win8.

I pirate everything i need/want

From games to music, movies, books, tv shows

Honestly .. i don't even feel bad

why should i pay for something if i can get it for free ? it's not like them big companies are gonna sink without my two cents

k im poor

I use Google Play Music All Access for my music, I buy most of my films, I do stream Top Gear a lot, but my mum did work for the BBC, and it's free on iPlayer anyway, even if it's only for seven days. I do have to admit to pirating a fair but of software, but I never use it. I buy all my games.

I won't admit nor to confess to anything. But let's say I'm from a poor family. With that said. I don't Pirate games. The urge comes but it disappears and usually because I have no need with Steam around. Sales are cheap enough to the point where I don't need to pirate. I can pay a measly $4-$10 for a game and usually most of the time it's even cheaper. Hell, most I paid for a game was probably $14. I also like the fact that my games are kept on their servers so if my drive dies all I need to do is download it again.

But for most cases I understand why most people Pirate. The horrible truth is some of these people simply don't have the luxury to buy movies, games, etc. And in some cases they actually help the sales.

Yeah, same thing for me. I tried it and I just can't handle reading chapters upon chapters on screen. And there's just something about owning a physical copy of the book.

I buy everything and if you pirate rats should eat you alive.

a0d66e6e61efd470c6ccd14e444be030b1fd356f