AKG K361 vs Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO

BerkayZ87

Since one week, I still can't decide that which headphone is better to me. I usually listening hiphop, rap, metal and also playing games, especially AAA.

DT 770 PRO is bulky and its cable is undetachable. And I saw the some reviews that reviewers said that this headphone has a V-Shaped sound profile with stock settings. That means high-treble and sub-bass is shiny. Sub-bass is OK but I don't know how much shiny is high treble but if its too shiny, then I don't want to prefer it. I don't like shiny high-treble sound.

AKG K361 has cheap build quality but great ergonomics and detachable cable. And also it has a memory leather pads. Actually, I like the 770 PRO's pads more than the K361's. More comfortable and it doesn't sweat. 

Which one is better? If I go for 770 PRO, then I will use it with Behringer UMC202HD. But If I go for AKG K361, I don't think to buy an amp/dac.

In my country, AKG K361 is like 160$ and Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO is like 185$. 

BTW I'm talking about 80 Ohm version of the DT 770 PRO.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with either.

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,DT770_Pro_(80Ω)

K361 and K371 are very similar

K361 vs K371

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,K371

However, out of the two, you'd probably have better luck with the K361.

DT770 has a fatiguing treble but it's not that sibilant. DT990 on the other hand is the most sibilant and DT880 is the best among the 3.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

6 hours ago, BerkayZ87 said:

Since one week, I still can't decide that which headphone is better to me. I usually listening hiphop, rap, metal and also playing games, especially AAA.

DT 770 PRO is bulky and its cable is undetachable. And I saw the some reviews that reviewers said that this headphone has a V-Shaped sound profile with stock settings. That means high-treble and sub-bass is shiny. Sub-bass is OK but I don't know how much shiny is high treble but if its too shiny, then I don't want to prefer it. I don't like shiny high-treble sound.

AKG K361 has cheap build quality but great ergonomics and detachable cable. And also it has a memory leather pads. Actually, I like the 770 PRO's pads more than the K361's. More comfortable and it doesn't sweat. 

Which one is better? If I go for 770 PRO, then I will use it with Behringer UMC202HD. But If I go for AKG K361, I don't think to buy an amp/dac.

Neither, AKG K612 Pro

k361 has a more mainstream tune, largely sticking to harman overear target. dt770 has a more v-shaped sound signature with a more pronouced bass and treble while making the mids noticeably darker.

interesting that you chose two closed back headphones from two companies a bit more known for their open backs. audiotechnica's m50x should be on your radar if v-shaped sound is your thing. personally i would rank k361 as my 1st pick, m50x 2nd and dt770 pro 3rd.

Everything is pretty much summed up by either you or the responses, but I'll add my $.02

First of all both headphones can have different pads on them, with the k361 NEEDING aftermarket pads to be comfortable but then they are very comfortable.  For the DT770pro look up a video by Zeos about pad swapping Beyerdynamic pads to get an idea of which ones you would want for them.  But the DT770 does not need pads because stock are great.

The DT770 has one of the best build qualities you'll find, the non-detachable cable kind of sucks but there are people who mod them to have a detachable cable, I would do a little looking around to see if anyone in your country does that.  But I wouldn't let the attached cable be to much of a deciding factor.

The k361 has good bass as well and is more rounded in sound profile.  The build quality is pretty good even if it's plastic, might get a little more creaking but they should hold up pretty well albeit not as well as the 770.

Neither of them will need a dac or amp and both will run well onboard.

Lastly I would recommend checking prices for the Rode NTH-100, I hate the fact that I recommend these to everyone but it's because they're that good.  Build quality of the K361 with an all around sound signature of a k361, detachable cable, great fit and comfort, easy to drive, sounds good on anything with great bass response to boot.  Doesn't need pads either.  I just don't know if they're available in your country at a reasonable price.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

8 hours ago, Stan2292 said:

k361 has a more mainstream tune, largely sticking to harman overear target. dt770 has a more v-shaped sound signature with a more pronouced bass and treble while making the mids noticeably darker.

interesting that you chose two closed back headphones from two companies a bit more known for their open backs. audiotechnica's m50x should be on your radar if v-shaped sound is your thing. personally i would rank k361 as my 1st pick, m50x 2nd and dt770 pro 3rd.

Because I need a closed-back one. And I searched a lot within my budget and there are 3 headphones I found: DT 770 PRO, M50x, K361/K371.

I eliminated K371, because people say that K361 is better than K371 about neutral sound. Also K371 is 220$, meanwhile K361 is 160$. 

I eliminated M50x, because of tighter soundstage than K361 and DT 770 PRO. And also bad ergonomics. I don't want to deal with it. Because M50x pads aren't exist in my country. Only available in Amazon USA or Aliexpress but Aliexpress isn't shipping to my country. In Amazon USA, pads are so expensive. Thats why I eliminated it.

And finally, there is two headphones that I can't decide: DT 770 PRO and K361. That's why I opened this topic.

5 hours ago, Psittac said:

Everything is pretty much summed up by either you or the responses, but I'll add my $.02

First of all both headphones can have different pads on them, with the k361 NEEDING aftermarket pads to be comfortable but then they are very comfortable.  For the DT770pro look up a video by Zeos about pad swapping Beyerdynamic pads to get an idea of which ones you would want for them.  But the DT770 does not need pads because stock are great.

The DT770 has one of the best build qualities you'll find, the non-detachable cable kind of sucks but there are people who mod them to have a detachable cable, I would do a little looking around to see if anyone in your country does that.  But I wouldn't let the attached cable be to much of a deciding factor.

The k361 has good bass as well and is more rounded in sound profile.  The build quality is pretty good even if it's plastic, might get a little more creaking but they should hold up pretty well albeit not as well as the 770.

Neither of them will need a dac or amp and both will run well onboard.

Lastly I would recommend checking prices for the Rode NTH-100, I hate the fact that I recommend these to everyone but it's because they're that good.  Build quality of the K361 with an all around sound signature of a k361, detachable cable, great fit and comfort, easy to drive, sounds good on anything with great bass response to boot.  Doesn't need pads either.  I just don't know if they're available in your country at a reasonable price.

Thanks, probably I go for K361. 

Thanks to everyone.

I had the DT770 few years ago and I love its comfort. The pads are so comfy, the headband too and it has great passive noise cancelation too.

Just googled the K361 and my ears cringed lol. The pads doesn't look comfy. But I would advice to get the K361 from a store that has good return policy in case you don't like it.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

I had the DT770 few years ago and I love its comfort. The pads are so comfy, the headband too and it has great passive noise cancelation too.

Just googled the K361 and my ears cringed lol. The pads doesn't look comfy. But I would advice to get the K361 from a store that has good return policy in case you don't like it.

If you put good pads on it the k361 is like a pillow on your head, stock pads are just to thin

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

2 hours ago, Psittac said:

If you put good pads on it the k361 is like a pillow on your head, stock pads are just to thin

Pretty stupid you have to buy good pads on a product you purchased. That goes against my principles. And lets not forget that non-stock pads will alter the sound so any review you found with stock pas, will render them useless. In that case, I would definitely drop the K361 and get the DT770 because the sound will not change as the stock pads will be used. Reviews will be no more useless.

I may sound negative but don't get me wrong, changing the pads have been the subject number 1 in topics about headphones on audio specalized forums/websites, literally every single time. Though it is very nice they share in which way the sound have been changed.

DAC/AMPs:

46 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Pretty stupid you have to buy good pads on a product you purchased. That goes against my principles. And lets not forget that non-stock pads will alter the sound so any review you found with stock pas, will render them useless. In that case, I would definitely drop the K361 and get the DT770 because the sound will not change as the stock pads will be used. Reviews will be no more useless.

I may sound negative but don't get me wrong, changing the pads have been the subject number 1 in topics about headphones on audio specalized forums/websites, literally every single time. Though it is very nice they share in which way the sound have been changed.

DT770 Pro isn't actually any good as it has an excessive 200Hz notch and overblown treble

35 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

DT770 Pro isn't actually any good as it has an excessive 200Hz notch and overblown treble

Yeah indeed. It made me fatigue too. It was way back in 2019 if I still remember it. So I got the DT880. Tho it's openback. To remain silent at nights, I use my closedback. 

DAC/AMPs:

On 12/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, BerkayZ87 said:

if your not gonna buy an amp /DAC alone should be a good reason to not get the 770 lower impedance versions of the 770 dont sound very good and the akg k361 just are way better tuuned than the 770 for most use cases and music. if you listen to hip hop rap and metal i personally think the akg k371 is a better pick due to the more harman tuning providing more bass. im a 770 600 ohm owner and its by far my least used headphone