Mac Users Deserve Better – 7 Unacceptable Problems with MacOS

HC_writes

I have just watched the video, sorry if someone already point it out, I didn't read all the posts.

One thing it drives me crazy is ScreenSharing (vnc). You simply can't ScreenSharing a headless Mac, you have to use a HDMI dummy dongle (https://www.amazon.ca/Dummy-Headless-Display-Emulator-Generation/dp/B07FB4VJL9).

And you are stuck with the screen resolution of the remote Mac (or the HDMI dummy dongle).

Example :

Remote Mac has a 1920x1080

Home Mac has a 3440x1440

No luck, you are stuck at 1920x1080

It gets even worse if you have 2 or more screens...

Oh... and you have the fullscreen annoyance mention in the video.

Window Remote Desktop (even on Mac) manage perfectly.

After 2 years of pandemic remote work, Apple didn't see this problem is mind-blowing.

25 minutes ago, smionean said:

One thing it drives me crazy is ScreenSharing (vnc). You simply can't ScreenSharing a headless Mac, you have to use a HDMI dummy dongle (https://www.amazon.ca/Dummy-Headless-Display-Emulator-Generation/dp/B07FB4VJL9).

This is not always the case. I'm not exactly sure what the specifics are behind this, but some headless Macs work perfectly fine with Screen Sharing. I own three separate Mac minis (one Late 2009 and two Late 2012 models), and none of them are connected to external displays. I also don't own any dummy dongles either. However, I have zero issues connecting to any of them through Screen Sharing. It works fine from other Macs and from standard VNC clients as well.

Here's a screenshot I just took where I connected to one of the 2012 minis. In the screenshot you can see the About This Mac page along with the System Information window that both show there are no monitors attached. About This Mac does show a monitor, but that's not accurate. I've never connected this Mac mini to a 23" display, and if I did it wouldn't be a 1280x1024 display. There are no display cables connected to the mini right now. 

miniPlex.thumb.PNG.6851d6512b4847eafbcf5865e6ea4b29.PNG

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

On 11/13/2022 at 12:04 AM, just_dave said:

You're mixing apples and oranges. What you are talking about is that the system is capable of MUXing the embedded displayport signal to the Thunderbolt ports. It still doesn't change the fact there is just 1 single EXTERNAL display controller. There is obviously the second internal driver for the native macbook display.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:53 PM, EdgyVenison said:

I think the tweet @just_dave brought up still holds true.

As shown in the tweet image, the M1 Pro die has 2 DISP EXT blocks, and for all intents and purposes, the macbook screen itself might as well count as one "external display" since it needs to be outputted somehow lol.

I think this explains why closing the lid allows you to use 2 external displays; one display feed (the macbook screen) is no longer in use, and the freed up DISP EXT can then be used to drive the second external display, so it's probably a hardware limitation and not an intentional market segmentation.

But the M1 Pro can drive TWO external displays plus the internal one, all independently:

M1: 1 ext (up to 6K 60Hz) + 1 int

M1 Pro: 2 ext (up to 6K 60Hz) + 1 int

M1 Max: 3 ext (up to 6K 60Hz) + 1 ext (via HDMI, up to 4K 60Hz) + 1 int

image.thumb.png.338e8f5b1a24b908fc040a6f74bed0e9.png

Let me tell you a story. When I worked for a company that used Macbooks, they changed their office wifi password. There was a 50% spike in helpdesk calls because no-one could work out how to enter the new password on their Macs!

I watched this video. None of these things are huge issues with MacOS.

Mac can't do snapping because microsoft patented it or some other bullcrap, besides there are PLENTY of free apps that do it better than windows does. 

No idea why you'd want to create a file in a folder like that (something like a "touch" command in the terminal.) 

As for separate volumes. I mean.... anything that has volume will have a volume slider. It's very.... very rare I need to use windows mixer. And, of course, there are apps that simulate this functionality if you want. I think soundflower does it. 

On 11/12/2022 at 6:53 PM, Radium_Angel said:

(after Win 9 goes out of support on July 11)

Windows 9?!

2 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Let me tell you a story. When I worked for a company that used Macbooks, they changed their office wifi password. There was a 50% spike in helpdesk calls because no-one could work out how to enter the new password on their Macs!

This just proves that people are idiots. It proves nothing else.

Just now, DANK_AS_gay said:

Windows 9?!

THe best OS MS never made.

It's 8.1 industry embedded professional, with a win7 UI on top. All the bonuses of 8/8.1, none of the downsides, coupled with the best UI MS made (7)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

THe best OS MS never made.

It's 8.1 industry embedded professional, with a win7 UI on top. All the bonuses of 8/8.1, none of the downsides, coupled with the best UI MS made (7)

Windows 7.5 seems more appropriate, but that's just semantics at that point. AFAIK, LTT did a video on it too. 

2 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Windows 7.5 seems more appropriate, but that's just semantics at that point. AFAIK, LTT did a video on it too. 

They did in their typical half-researched video style. I've been using it for years, ever since the abomination called Win10 was forced on the world. It's a fantastic OS and I'll be sad to see it go.  

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 11/14/2022 at 12:05 PM, Dracarris said:

But the M1 Pro can drive TWO external displays plus the internal one, all independently:

M1: 1 ext (up to 6K 60Hz) + 1 int

M1 Pro: 2 ext (up to 6K 60Hz) + 1 int

M1 Max: 3 ext (up to 6K 60Hz) + 1 ext (via HDMI, up to 4K 60Hz) + 1 int

image.thumb.png.338e8f5b1a24b908fc040a6f74bed0e9.png

Yes. That’s the M1 Pro, it has 2 disp ext. drivers. the M1 Max has 4.

I recommend you revisit your reading comprehension skills

and see the tweet I linked. 

This was SPECIFICALLY about the M1/M2 because they share more or less a similar die layout and feature set - single external display driver.

The M1 Pro/Max are a completely different design with different features.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 hour ago, just_dave said:

recommend you revisit your reading comprehension skills

and see the tweet I linked. 

This was SPECIFICALLY about the M1/M2 because they share more or less a similar die layout and feature set - single external display driver.

Which is why I quoted another reply that was closely linked to yours where the M1 Pro was explicitly mentioned.

No need to get all salty and snarky, thanks.