Mac Users Deserve Better – 7 Unacceptable Problems with MacOS

HC_writes

i mean, it's probably already happened, because we're on Page 3.

Try not to get to invested in hating and defending. whenever a video like this pops up, there will be others on windows (at least) and maybe linux. (haven't watched the video yet, but i'm guessing they even mention these will be coming in the future)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

14 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

renaming system32 in Windows

Apples (err...) to oranges. system32 is a folder full of important files needed for Windows to function.

"Podcasts" is an app that isn't (or damn well shouldn't be)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

As a new convert to MacOS, the only thing I see as an issue, is the difficulty in removing the iOS-style apps that come pre-installed with my OS. Hell, I can't even move them to a folder entitled "Crap I don't use" and that pisses me off. Beyond that, the thought put into MacOS is light-years beyond Windows and really shows how crudely things are bolted on to Windows (setting vs control panel I'm looking at you)

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Considering these are apps that Apple built (Music, News, Podcasts, etc) I kinda think it is. But I am new to MacOS and I'm moire than willing to be educated, if I can easily uninstall them, or put them all in one folder (because so far, I can't figure that out. OS 12.6.1 Monterey

Just as an FYI, preinstalled apps are considered part of the "system", so SIP (System Integrity Protection) won't allow you uninstall them. Fully disabling SIP should allow you to uninstall or otherwise move them.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

1 hour ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Just as an FYI, preinstalled apps are considered part of the "system", so SIP (System Integrity Protection) won't allow you uninstall them. Fully disabling SIP should allow you to uninstall or otherwise move them.

Yes I know how to remove them, it's just a massive PITA to do so, and it shouldn't be that way, because they are *hardly* important to the functionality of the OS. I get this BS from MS, which is why I flatly refuse to upgrade to 10 or 11, but I expected better from Apple.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

first of all if you can't figure out what app is making a given noise you shouldn't be using a computer that supports multitasking. second i never said it was useful. using spotify's own volume control is much faster and more convenient than the windows sound mixer which comes straight out of Windows 98.

Nice, an ad hominem. That's got to be a record for time to logical fallacy.

I can figure out what app is making a given noise. It's called "checking the volume mixer". Which again, you keep dismissing because "OMG jUsT oPeN tHe aPp".

If anything you seem to be the person who doesn't do much multitasking, because I assure you it's infinitely easier to go to a single spot whose location never changes than to check which of the 10+ programs I have open, unminimize said app, find where the specific app puts its volume controls, mute it, then finally minimize it again to go back to what I was doing.

Although given macOS isn't particularly suited for multitasking, I can't say I'm surprised...

But you know what, my mistake - you said handy, not useful. I guess you meant handy as in "of or relating to the hand". I retract what I said before.

Oh, and for the record: the volume mixer is from Vista, both in terms of when it was added to Windows and in terms of its looks.

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Because I'm funnt that way. I didn't install them, I don't want them. I don't care how little space they are taking up, it's a non-zero amount and by making them difficult to remove, it's pissinig me off (shades of the BS Windows 10 does with all their pre-installed crap)

If I want a podcast app, I'll track one down, don't force it on me and then make it nearly impossible to remove. That's the BS domain of MS. Pissing off users is what MS does, Apple should be above that.

Two things.

1. The system apps take no space of your user data. They're on a separate sealed volume that, if edited, all changes are undone after a reboot. It's also a fixed size.

If you mess with the snapshot, then you have to reinstall macOS - or disable SIP, then SSV is ignored.

2. They can't be removed as macOS depends on them to be in those locations to handle some system processes. Yes yes I know Podcasts isn't an essential system process, but since it's an Apple app it's marked as a System app. Hopefully Apple moves the non-essential ones to user data soon... like they did in iOS with iOS 10.

elephants

8 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

And how much cache would that be exactly? 4 MB? 20 MB?

We’re talking about on-chip memory here, which is not cheap. 

8 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Are you sure? DP MST would only use a single display driver.

DP MST means MUXing 2 independent display signals over 1 DisplayPort bus. You need 2 external display drivers to run over 1 thunderbolt/displayport bus.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

15 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

Volume for individual apps is stupid

I actually use this quite a lot, it is a nice to have feature so it would be nice to have for Mac OS too 🤷‍♂️

Not that I couldn't live without it.

12 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

2. Mouse and scroll settings. I like trackpad to work the "mac way" but I prefer my mouse the "windows way". Unfortunately cannot have that without changing options every time I change. Though I don't find this as an issue unless I use an external display. In laptop mode, I always prefer mac's trackpad over a mouse.

There used to be an app called something like "scroll reverser" that would do exactly that.

I think it's this one: https://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/

The developer is making this app since 2011. 11 years ago Apple decided to universally reverse the scroll direction and not giving you an option to have different settings on mice and trackpads. How it's still not part of the OS is beyond me.

10 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

And? Wifi signals can be intercepted by all devices nearby. There is literally no security difference.

For a switch only the two devices, the 2 ports involved, would pass the traffic. Assuming single switch etc. So going through a switch would actually be more secure than ad hoc wireless.

3 words - just boycott Apple

But to add some actual basis to that, they are by far the worst tech company to ever exist, blatantly rip off customers and deliberately manufacture garbage. Hugh Jeffreys also from my home down under explains this a lot more elegantly than I ever could in his video from 4 months ago given my utter hate for people like Steve Jobs and Tim Cook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhRPiVPA3c

I feel like this could be condensed into Operating System Idiosyncrasies. Apple could do better in the base operating system, but these issues have been prominent for years now with workarounds being the norm.

A bit OT: I do wanna know what the editor used for Anthony's background music at 1:18 though. It's fire.

Re: Unremovable preinstalled apps

Fortunately I think the biggest offenders / large preinstalled applications are removable (Garageband, iMovies, Pages/Numbers/Slides(?) are all multiple gigabytes each), so the "wasted" space is relatively minor (maybe like ~25 apps each ranging from 1MB to 25MB in size).

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Apples (err...) to oranges. system32 is a folder full of important files needed for Windows to function.

"Podcasts" is an app that isn't (or damn well shouldn't be)

the thing is that with Catalina onwards iTunes got broken up into the 3 apps, that doesn't mean it's not a core part of macOS like iTunes used to be... 

She/Her

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

But to add some actual basis to that, they are by far the worst tech company to ever exist, blatantly rip off customers and deliberately manufacture garbage.

I know it likely wouldn't lead to a productive conversation but how do you determine that they are the worst tech company to ever exist and deliberately manufacture garbage.

At least to my knowledge, they've not made exploding power supplies or computers that have a high risk of catching on fire. Yes there might be arbitrary lock-downing of software and hardware and perhaps the price to performance for some items would constitute blatently rip off but really other then some of the charging cables the iPhones, iPods, iPads and Apple watches I've used definitely wouldn't be considered garbage. Heck, only reason I use them was because in 2010-2013 I had an android phone that I felt was garbage.

21 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

Volume for individual apps is stupid.

Good for you if you don't need it, but it's a super useful feature for a lot of people. I use ist constantly. Just because you don't use something, doesn't means it's stupid.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

10 hours ago, Luscious said:

But to add some actual basis to that, they are by far the worst tech company to ever exist, blatantly rip off customers and deliberately manufacture garbage. Hugh Jeffreys also from my home down under explains this a lot more elegantly than I ever could in his video from 4 months ago given my utter hate for people like Steve Jobs and Tim Cook:

cry harder. unlike other tech companies Apple actually innovates, without them you wouldn't have the modern smartphone, tablet, GUI interface, laptop... they were all first with those designs. 

She/Her

11 hours ago, Luscious said:

Ah yes, Hugh Jeffreys, the “technician” who fixes things worse than the nearest corner shop, can’t properly solder and complains you can’t fix modern electronics with a kitchen knife.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Does MacOS have the ability to turn off mouse acceleration natively? Because that was a major dealbreaker for me and yet it wasn't mentioned in the video. As far as I'm aware, you can't turn off mouse or scroll acceleration, and requiring a third party app for that is really stupid.

20 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

first of all if you can't figure out what app is making a given noise you shouldn't be using a computer that supports multitasking. second i never said it was useful. using spotify's own volume control is much faster and more convenient than the windows sound mixer which comes straight out of Windows 98.

3 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

cry harder. unlike other tech companies Apple actually innovates, without them you wouldn't have the modern smartphone, tablet, GUI interface, laptop... they were all first with those designs. 

If I may make a suggestion, please be mindful of how much of your identity is wrapped up in your choice of OS. It's just a piece of software, and there's no need to be so derisive towards others just because they criticized the OS you use. I promise you Apple will be just fine without you defending their UX choices.

10 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

I know it likely wouldn't lead to a productive conversation but how do you determine that they are the worst tech company to ever exist and deliberately manufacture garbage.

At least to my knowledge, they've not made exploding power supplies or computers that have a high risk of catching on fire. Yes there might be arbitrary lock-downing of software and hardware and perhaps the price to performance for some items would constitute blatently rip off but really other then some of the charging cables the iPhones, iPods, iPads and Apple watches I've used definitely wouldn't be considered garbage. Heck, only reason I use them was because in 2010-2013 I had an android phone that I felt was garbage.

Simple serviceability on common wear items, number one being THE BATTERY. Apple now makes it damn near impossible to get inside the phone by gluing it together, with the argument of course that people NEED a water resistant smartphone. Funny thing is just about every other smartphone ISN'T water resistant yet you don't hear those users complaining about it 🤔

Second, do we really need a new model released every single year??? There's absolutely ZERO reason why these devices have to be killed off with artificial software upgrade locks to prevent them from working longer, or for that matter, impossible to replace batteries. People are throwing perfectly working electronics out when they could continue to be used, but of course, Apple wants to get into your wallet any and every way it can. It should be MY CHOICE if I want to upgrade my phone after 3 years, not the manufacturer's!!!

As a final food for thought, where do you think all those thrown out, donated and recycled electronics go??? Nobody talks about that and there's the very real chance they do end up in places where they shouldn't and become a real hazard to the environment, animals and in the end humans. Does anybody hold Apple accountable for what they are doing wrong? Does anybody consider that some of the materials they are recycling have been paid for many times over by previous device owners and they are essentially working with these materials for free, yet newer devices keep getting more expensive? Their outlandish HQ is a slap in the face to sensibility.

4 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

Um, actually no. The Compaq/HP iPaq was around long before the iPhone came out, and I still have my H6315 sitting in it's dock. As for innovation you might want to look at what HTC was doing around the same time - their Touch Pro 2, which I also have, was leaps and bounds ahead of what the iPhone was capable of doing with a keyboard slider design, tilting display, expandable memory storage and high bit rate audio, all things that the iPhone STILL LACKS 14 years later. Apple's definition of "innovation" is a joke at worst and a blatant consumer money grab at best.

3 hours ago, just_dave said:

Ah yes, Hugh Jeffreys, the “technician” who fixes things worse than the nearest corner shop, can’t properly solder and complains you can’t fix modern electronics with a kitchen knife.

I guess they do things different from where he's from 🤣 To be fair though, you cannot say Apple has made repairs and service easier, in fact, it is becoming more and more difficult just to get inside their devices. What's most troubling is the shenanigans Apple's own technicians do when you take your device to them for repair. Go in for a battery swap and they will not only wipe your phone without your permission but also update the software without your consent, essentially returning to you a phone that is now running SLOWER than it was previously. If you really want to point the finger at somebody, go blame Apple for installing updates that cripple perfectly working hardware for the SOLE PURPOSE to entice you to buy a new one.