Nvidia 40-Series power connectors, melting, and burning.

Uttamattamakin
On 11/17/2022 at 9:25 AM, ewitte said:

Plus, now there is evidence that most of this was user error...

I saw Steves video.  It's user error induced by a bad design.  

If I design a car with a steering wheel that has razor sharp spikes on it, is it user error when people put their hands in the wrong place?   

Finally was able to buy a 4090 from Best Buy, only took 36 days of refreshing there website everyday. 

I also have the Thermaltake GF3  1650- atx 3.0 PSU.

Read over the whole thread and it looks like all the melted cables are from not pushing them in all the way?

So i should be ok if i make sure the 16 pin is all the way in and clicks?

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

51 minutes ago, Shzzit said:

Finally was able to buy a 4090 from Best Buy, only took 36 days of refreshing there website everyday. 

Read over the whole thread and it looks like all the melted cables are from not pushing them in all the way?

yes, every single instance of melting was attributed to simply not plugging it in all the way leading to a high resistance parallel current path when pulled sideways hard.

4 minutes ago, starsmine said:

yes, every single instance of melting was attributed to simply not plugging it in all the way leading to a high resistance parallel current path when pulled sideways hard.

Ok thanks mate, the wait is killing me, card won't be at BB tell the 26th 8(.  

CPU:                       Motherboard:                Graphics:                                 Ram:                            Screen:

i9-13900KS   Asus z790 HERO      ASUS TUF 4090 OC    GSkill 7600 DDR5       ASUS 48" OLED 138hz

Hope this won’t affect the eventual 4050

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

On 11/20/2022 at 7:42 PM, Shzzit said:

The click is mostly inaudible unless your ear is right next to the connector, there is little to no haptic feedback when the retention mechanism locks in place, and no visual difference between clipped/unclipped. The solution is to very firmly shove the connector in, then wiggle the cable back and forth while pulling with a constant force to ensure the connector is secure and won't back out while performing cable management. The easiest way to ensure this and visually inspect it is to connect it and perform the test before putting it in the PCI-E socket. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, starsmine said:

It doesn't require significant sideways force, just 4mm of clearance and some sideways force to generated the necessary conditions. The bending occurs AFTER the plastic significantly heats.

There definitely isn't enough feedback to tell if fully latched or not. Even when it does, it can wriggle quite a bit. you can see this in GN's video too.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I rammed mine in really good and haven’t had any trouble.

tell you one thing though, my new atx 3.0 psu fan is loud as shit.   Gf3 1650.  

Any way ti reduce fan speed on a psu?  

1 hour ago, Shzzit said:

Any way ti reduce fan speed on a psu?  

It the smartzero fan switch on the back flipped to ON?

On 11/19/2022 at 12:55 PM, Uttamattamakin said:

I saw Steves video.  It's user error induced by a bad design.  

If I design a car with a steering wheel that has razor sharp spikes on it, is it user error when people put their hands in the wrong place?   

Designs should be such as they mitigate users from making such obvious mistakes when utilizing whatever the component is. Any that doesn't consider the end user is a defective design, including the 12VHPWR connector. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch