Your Keyboard Sucks and I Can Prove It.

James

they should also do the exact same testing (including the sound test) with laptops.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Hey I also work as an ML Engineer in Computer Vision for product line quality control and I would say your laser scanner is totally overkill. I mean if you have the money, go use it but just for identification of the keys you can use grey scale images with some smoothing and I would guess just edge detection to find all the keys pretty reliable and super fast. Only reflection / polished keys might be a problem. I think if you open source your key identification algorithm you will get help fast an easily. 

No, my keyboard is awesome, but I have been unsuccessful in procuring silent linear switches with an actuation force below 35g. Those are supposed to be light switches already, but they feel too heavy for me.

26 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

No, my keyboard is awesome, but I have been unsuccessful in procuring silent linear switches with an actuation force below 35g. Those are supposed to be light switches already, but they feel too heavy for me.

You're going to need to swap the springs in your switches then if you want an even lighter actuation force. You can buy 30g , 25g or even 20g springs. You could also add heavier key caps or add weight to your current key caps.

Edit: with this occasion you could also lube your switches if they're not already since you're taking apart the switch anyway.

2 hours ago, Bramimond said:

yeah like the other guy said i personally would get silent alpacas and spring swap them if i want something like that

Well this is just great. In 1000 years there will be a statue of Linus in The Citadel depecting the human that taught the robot overlords how to type, and therefor program themselves. You fools!

Hi,

As a dev I was wondering if you guys include drivers as well for your latency estimations. In the past I have often found that drivers are a main root of many evils (as prob anyone has coding DX on 2000s laptops) while the hardware is completely fine.
A similar interesting topic is middleware; there are different ways how to even register key input in the same middleware, so I could wary from game to game which methods are actually used.

So it would actually be interesting for real-world test to take those in account, maybe by using a simple Test-App that implements different common input handlers for different frameworks and where a mock driver could be used to zero out against the middleware itself?

Reference:
Example for a middleware implementation (DirectXTK): https://github.com/microsoft/DirectXTK/blob/main/Src/Keyboard.cpp

I've got a Keychron K10 I'd like to see your review on it.  Do you guys test it, then properly lube the switches then test it again to see the difference?  Do you test the loudness of the switches too?

On 10/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, AndreiArgeanu said:

25g or even 20g springs. You could also add heavier key caps or add weight to your current key caps.

Edit: with this occasion you could also lube your switches if they're not already since you're taking apart the switch anyway.

They are out of stock.

My keyboard is set up vertical, so gravity isn't working in my favor.

Also, taking 40 switches apart doesn't sound very fun..

One thing I would like to request regards of sound: record some gaming sounds on them! All the reviewers (including LTT in the past) focus on typing/switch-clicking noise. It would be good to hear for example whether heavily pressing W and A can make squeaky noise while moving your hand around to press a third button. Or how loud are the tapping/smashing sounds, how does it sound your finger hits the key but not (yet) pressed. These would give meaningful results for boards with membrane/scissor switches too.

Tip: record some sounds on a wooden desk with and without an LTT Desk Pad under them, from a roommate perspective. :)