Nexus program retiring next year, Android Silver will take its place

Earlier this month the web was abuzz with talk of Android Silver, a rumored program that places focus on near-stock Android devices from top OEMs. Now The Information has chimed in with their own details about the program, including Google’s plans to ax the Nexus line in favor of its Android Silver initiative.

Like the GPe program, there can be more than one Android Silver device at a time. Where the programs differ is that Android Silver handsets won’t necessarily need to be 100% stock, though they will need to have minimal amounts of customization. Furthermore, the custom software and features that are present will need to be user-uninstallable without root access.

Another major change between the Android Silver program is that Google plans to offer these handsets directly through carriers. Google also has bigger ambitions when it comes to consumer reach, and is reportedly prepared to spend as much as a billion on Silver’s marketing campaign.

For Google, Android Silver is about creating a unified Android experience to further combat the image of a “fragmented Android”. This means that Google will have more control over the software that runs on these devices, and will even have a say in the types of hardware specs and features that end up in qualified Android Silver products.

Although it’s unclear how aggressive Android Silver pricing will be when compared with Nexus devices, the biggest advantage is that we will have multiple options when it comes to (nearly) pure Android devices with minimal bloat added on top.

For those that like having the most current Android version possible, giving Google more direct control also means that Android Silver devices should receive updates much more quickly than typical Android devices.

Even if the pricing does end up higher than current Nexus offering, the Android Silver program looks like a step in the right direction and could go a long way towards rectifying some of Android’s perceived weaknesses such as slower updates, UI consistency and OS fragmentation.

As for when we might see the Android Silver program? Reportedly the program will first arrive sometime next year in major markets including the United States, Germany and Japan. Emerging markets are expected to follow a bit further down the road.

I'm not sure how this is going to turn out. Google Play edition will be awesome but I always feel so many hardware related features go in waste in a GPe phone. It's also going to be goodbye for low priced Nexus devices.

Really looking forward to this.  I just wish they were coming out sooner.  I'd rather buy this than than the Oppo Find 7 which looks like best phone out.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Such a shame. They should've kept the nexus line. letting OEMS do what they want (while giving guidelines here and there) and keeping a separate nexus line as the pure android experience seems better in general.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Good move to be honest. OEMs can have their own versions of Android as an installable ROM, or as individual apps, allowing users to customize their own experience. 

There might still be a somewhat official "Nexus" device, just renamed. The remaining devices will probably be named according to the manufacturer. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I so wish it if they just banned unremovable apps altogether. It's such an asinine concept. Imagine half of your PCs storage space being dedicated to Microsoft programs you couldn't uninstall. Everyone would cry bloody murder.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Nexus has evolved into a brand. It is more than a phone. It's a way of living. It's about saying no to shits from oems. I'm tell you Google, you will lose so many support from enthusiasts and developers. DO NOT DO IT.

I'm okay with Android Silver, but not retiring Nexus.

Intel Core i5 3570K@4.5GHz | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | 2*TEAM 8GB DDR3-1600@CL9-9-9-27 | Inno3D GTX 660 HerculeZ 2000s@1200MHz Core 6600MHz Memory | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Antec Kühler H2O 620 | Antec HCG-620 | CoolerMaster Elite 371

Acer Iconia W700: Intel Core i5 3337U | 4GB DDR3 | 120GB SSD | 11.6" 1080p Display

I don't think that it will have much of an affect on pricing.

I believe there will still be cheap pricing, and I don't think the billion dollars is all for marketing.

From what I gathered the billion dollar estimate was for launching the program as a whole, which includes subsidies that they employ on current Nexus devices.

Should be interesting to see what happens. Google needs to regain its claim to Android. Samsung is too much of a powerhouse.

Really looking forward to this.  I just wish they were coming out sooner.  I'd rather buy this than than the Oppo Find 7 which looks like best phone out.

LG G3 will blow it out of the water. Well...in the size department, at least. It'll be on par with the other specs.

I so wish it if they just banned unremovable apps altogether. It's such an asinine concept. Imagine half of your PCs storage space being dedicated to Microsoft programs you couldn't uninstall. Everyone would cry bloody murder.

Totally agree.

Why is Facebook an nonremoveable application? I find that absolutely ridiculous.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red