4090 its just too thick

Hardware Guy

This rendered image shows a corsair 5000D cases with a reference 4090 from Nvidia, which is 3 slots or 61 mm thick. You see here is a problem with air intake as half of the bottom fan is blocked by the graphic card. Further I went to check ASUS 4090 which is a 3.5 slots card which means additional 10mm. Can you see how middle tower will encounter serious problem with air intake for 40 series graphic cards. I am guessing maybe diminish return will occur based on thickness of the cooler vs the air intake which they blocked. It seems to me that a full tower like 7000D is needed or a middle tower with bottom intake is required.  Powerful ITX or vertically mounted GPU may be gone for a long time. And water cooled GPU may become the mainstream. Can AIB start to make these with 360mm radiatior with AIO GPU cooling cards? 

88625_03_corsair-preps-new-12vhpwr-cables-liquid-cooling-blocks-for-rtx-4090_full.webp

4 minutes ago, Hardware Guy said:

And water cooled GPU may become the mainstream.

Time for GPUs to not become power hogs in a day and age where we should be heading towards energy efficiency to consume less electricity overall and deliver more performance. Instead, more performance needs more power but hopefully AMD continues this trend [of needing less power and delivering more performance] with RDNA3.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Time for GPUs to not become power hogs in a day and age where we should be heading towards energy efficiency to consume less electricity overall and deliver more performance. Instead, more performance needs more power but hopefully AMD continues this trend with RDNA3.

To me the 40 series look like the equivalent of a bodybuiler taking steroids instead of going the natural route.

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Time for GPUs to not become power hogs in a day and age where we should be heading towards energy efficiency to consume less electricity overall and deliver more performance. Instead, more performance needs more power but hopefully AMD continues this trend [of needing less power and delivering more performance] with RDNA3.

The issue is, to hit the performance increases that we are consumers want, power has to go up. Mores Law is dead, is it possible. Probably, but it would most likely need a complete rethink on how we design these chips and how we process data in general. 

There will always be the lower end, better performance per watt stuff just like we have seen in the past. But we ask more now from GPUs than ever, vector, physics, tensor, RT, AI ect... 

I would love to see a top of the range pre raster monster, with all the RT taken out as it just doesn't interest me. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

8 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

To me the 40 series look like the equivalent of a bodybuilder taking steroids instead of going the natural route.

Yeah someone gave these RTX 40 series cards some steroids. Saw a post from ASUS comparing the 30 series TUF gaming to 40 series TUF gaming visually and the difference in size is absolutely insane. Basically would make a new shelf inside my own case if I were to rip out my 6900XT TUF Gaming and put one in there!

9 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

The issue is, to hit the performance increases that we are consumers want, power has to go up. Mores Law is dead, is it possible. Probably, but it would most likely need a complete rethink on how we design these chips and how we process data in general. 

There will always be the lower end, better performance per watt stuff just like we have seen in the past. But we ask more now from GPUs than ever, vector, physics, tensor, RT, AI ect... 

I would love to see a top of the range pre raster monster, with all the RT taken out as it just doesn't interest me. 

I think we should be rethinking how we design these chips and see if we can make improvements along the way. Sure they might devote R&D to do so and they may not even end up bringing them to the masses due to costs and/or the project ends up in a failure. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

18 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I think we should be rethinking how we design these chips and see if we can make improvements along the way. Sure they might devote R&D to do so and they may not even end up bringing them to the masses due to costs and/or the project ends up in a failure. 

And there you go, a public company has single objective, they are legally obligated to meet. No matter if they are AMD, Nvidia, Intel or General Motors. And that is to make profit. Going on what would be seen as fishing trips would go against that. Sinking what would have to be hundreds of millions or more likely billions of dollars on a project that may work isn't in their interest. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

20 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Which is why I don't understand why no one mentions this. We're probably at a point where we CANT make them powerful AND efficient and I don't think people would be happy with the "incremental" leaps anymore. There HAS to be some sort of trade off at least right now until a breakthrough is made in the technology. Anytime I hear people whine about the power draw of these cards I'm like? what exactly are you expecting?

MOBO: GIGABYTE Z170 G1 GamingCPU: i7 6700k-GPU:ZOTAC 1070 AMP! EDITION-PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750 80G RAM: 16GB G. SKILLS RIPJAWS Z 2100STORAGE: 500gb SAMSUNG EVO SSD; WD BLACK 1TB- CPU COOLER: BE QUIET DARK ROCK  PRO 3 190W TDP.

48 minutes ago, HeyYouOK? said:

Which is why I don't understand why no one mentions this. We're probably at a point where we CANT make them powerful AND efficient and I don't think people would be happy with the "incremental" leaps anymore. There HAS to be some sort of trade off at least right now until a breakthrough is made in the technology. Anytime I hear people whine about the power draw of these cards I'm like? what exactly are you expecting?

Exactly! You can either have massive performance increases, or great efficiency. But we are at a point in technology where you just CAN'T have both anymore. 

Yes technically the performance/watt isn't massively worse, but if performance/watt remains relatively stable, then to increase performance by substantial margins you by definition need to increase power.

Now I'm not saying there have been no increases to efficiently and performance/watt. But its not enough of an improvement for what the people expect to see in on generational basis.

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240