HTPC w/ 4090 - Concerned with GPU Width

masondb

I just got done putting together a build (2 Weeks Ago). Amazon has a great return policy so I figured I build out my HTPC machine and then if I ended up using it, I would return the GPU and upgrade to the 4000 series if it made sense. I only use this computer for planning games on my LG C2 at home.

My Question: I don't think a 4090 will fit in my SilverStone Technology Grandia 11 Compact ATX Home Theater PC (HTPC) case, do you have any horizontal case recommendations for an HTPC build that can also fit a 240mm rad? The founders might fit, but I am worried about the connector being too tight against the side of the case....my other thought is to just leave the top off until I can find another case. 

This is my build currently. I would like to upgrade to a 4090 and it looks like I will have to upgrade my PSU....sigh. 

Case: SilverStone Technology Grandia 11
CPU: i5 12600k
Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600
PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-850
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC Edition Graphics Card (See Just Fit) 
Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4

20220916_222628.jpg

20220916_222632.jpg

20220916_222643.jpg

You still have 2 slots left and 4090 will be like 4 slots so imo you'd be good, worst case you'd to remove the fans that block the last slot

Check the length but it shouldn't be much more than a 3080

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

19 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

You still have 2 slots left and 4090 will be like 4 slots so imo you'd be good, worst case you'd to remove the fans that block the last slot

Check the length but it shouldn't be much more than a 3080

So the issue isn't the slot width, issue if the the Y axis from the bottom of the case to the top. That Asus card is nearly at the limit. 

1 minute ago, masondb said:

So the issue isn't the slot width, issue if the the Y axis from the bottom of the case to the top. That Asus card is nearly at the limit. 

You mean card length ? I'm lost with your case that has everything alienly oriented ! 😄

What I've said, check the length of the card you want to be sure, FE being usually a bit shorter than AIBs

Else as for height it's PCie standard no worry 😉

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 hours ago, masondb said:

it looks like I will have to upgrade my PSU

i don't think so, yer already using seasonic 1000w psu right?

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

9 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

i don't think so, yer already using seasonic 1000w psu right?

I have an 850 Watt. Looks to be right on the edge 

15 hours ago, PDifolco said:

You mean card length ? I'm lost with your case that has everything alienly oriented ! 😄

What I've said, check the length of the card you want to be sure, FE being usually a bit shorter than AIBs

So, I am not concerned with card length from front to back, I have plenty. I am not concerned with card width to the side of the case with the fans. I am concerned with card depth from the bottom of the case (mobo) to the top of the case. The Asus card that I currently have is 126mm tall. The RTX 4090 cards are about 145mm tall. With the power connector those won't fit in this case. I am trying to find a case in this horizontal form factor that will fit the dual rad and an RTX 4090. I can't seem to find one

On 9/26/2022 at 6:19 AM, PDifolco said:

GPUs haven't adhered to standard height in quite a while. 

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

GPUs haven't adhered to standard height in quite a while. 

Yup me stupid sometimes the slot height  is standard but the card may be higher inside  indeed!!😜

On 9/26/2022 at 9:38 AM, masondb said:

So, I am not concerned with card length from front to back, I have plenty. I am not concerned with card width to the side of the case with the fans. I am concerned with card depth from the bottom of the case (mobo) to the top of the case. The Asus card that I currently have is 126mm tall. The RTX 4090 cards are about 145mm tall. With the power connector those won't fit in this case. I am trying to find a case in this horizontal form factor that will fit the dual rad and an RTX 4090. I can't seem to find one

For reference, we typical call this Y measurement how "tall" a card is. Length is reserved for that drastic 300+mm measurement, and width is usually measured in "slots" (about 20.3mm per slot)

Most horizontal cases are designed to be HTPC's and as such are not very "tall" by nature. And based on all the renderings we've seen, every 4090 that's been shown off is very tall (134mm for reference, more for others)

Wort comes to worst, mod your top panel by cutting out a slot for it 😉 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I put an EVGA FTW 3090 TI into this exact case a week ago for fun. A 4090 will fit. Might have to be a smidge careful about which one -- some are going to be nuts, but there will be one that does.

On 9/28/2022 at 7:06 AM, TVwazhere said:

For reference, we typical call this Y measurement how "tall" a card is. Length is reserved for that drastic 300+mm measurement, and width is usually measured in "slots" (about 20.3mm per slot)

Most horizontal cases are designed to be HTPC's and as such are not very "tall" by nature. And based on all the renderings we've seen, every 4090 that's been shown off is very tall (134mm for reference, more for others)

Wort comes to worst, mod your top panel by cutting out a slot for it 😉 

Couldn’t he just use a “vertical” mount? Much cleaner than cutting a slot, even if he does have to drill some holes for airflow.