Arctic to launch MX-6 to replace discontinued MX-5 thermal compound

Spotty

Summary

Arctic's MX-5 thermal compound has now been listed as End-of-Life on Arctics website and it appears the company is getting ready to release a new thermal paste, creatively called MX-6.

MX-5 thermal compound was recalled earlier this year after defects were found that caused issues with liquid separation and premature hardening.
This does not appear to affect Arctic MX-4 which is still currently available and has not had the same issues MX-5 had.

Quotes

Arctic's MX-5 thermal paste is no longer available and has been replaced by the MX-6. Although the latest version is not yet accessible on the manufacturer's website, it is now available on Amazon. The 4 grams version costs 28.75 euros including shipping. 

Arctic appears to be retiring the MX-5 line of thermal compounds due to consistency issues. At Arctic, the product is now labeled "End of Life." A successor is already in the works: the new MX-6  which is available on Amazon. The firm faced quality flaws in specific batches at the start of the year. Affected pastes should exhibit irregularities in consistency and durability, resulting in a greater deposit of the oil included and premature hardening. This could obstruct the application of thermal paste. In return for proof of purchase, Arctic offered impacted consumers a replacement. The 4 gram version is 28.75 euros plus shipping, near;y three times the original price.

image.png

My thoughts

Since Arctic is discontinuing the MX-5 product perhaps the issues they faced were more than just a bad batch, and not something the company was able to fix without changing to a new formula.

I was actually looking at buying some thermal compound a few days ago and MX-5 is one of the cheapest listed on Amazon (AU). I knew about the recall they had earlier in the year but I was hoping they might have fixed whatever issues they had with it. Given they've now discontinued the product I'm glad I held off buying it.
Hopefully the 28 Euro for 4g that is currently listed on Amazon Germany is just a placeholder price at the moment, because that is way too expensive for thermal compound and 3 times what the MX-5 and MX-4 cost. You could get 5.5g Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for 18 Euro, less than half the cost per gram of the MX-6 compound.

Sources

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/arctic-halts-troublesome-mx-5-thermal-paste-mx-6-successor-spotted-at-almost-three-times-the-price.html

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

My thoughts

Since Arctic is discontinuing the MX-5 product perhaps the issues they faced were more than just a bad batch, and not something the company was able to fix without changing to a new formula.

I was actually looking at buying some thermal compound a few days ago and MX-5 is one of the cheapest listed on Amazon (AU). I knew about the recall they had earlier in the year but I was hoping they might have fixed whatever issues they had with it. Given they've now discontinued the product I'm glad I held off buying it.
Hopefully the 28 Euro for 4g that is currently listed on Amazon Germany is just a placeholder price at the moment, because that is way too expensive for thermal compound and 3 times what the MX-5 and MX-4 cost. You could get 5.5g Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for 18 Euro, less than half the cost per gram of the MX-6 compound.

They delisted it from their site's shopping page since some months ago.
I had the same thought as you (That they've fixed it), and was looking for one, went to their site and couldn't find MX-5.

But yeah, that listed price sure doesn't look like a usual arctic price.

From the pic of the packaging I assume the paste will have the same color as MX-5, Teal.

I'm gonna wait for reviews and reports before buying (if the price is actually cheaper than what you linked) I guess

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

They delisted it from their site's shopping page since some months ago.
I had the same thought as you (That they've fixed it), and was looking for one, went to their site and couldn't find MX-5.

Interesting. It's still listed for sale on Amazon Australia, but that might just be third parties clearing what stock they have left. Could explain why it's half the cost of other thermal compounds like the MX-4 and Noctua NT-H1.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I think I'll still with MX-2, supposedly not as good as MX-4, but has better longevity.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

24 minutes ago, that_dude said:

Think Amazon (sold by amazon) used a placeholder price:

-snip

1. 29€ for 2g/4g is maniac.

2. Arctic isn't known for scalper prices. They úsally have a good price/performance ratio.

3. 2g and 4g are both 28,81€.

Was gonna say.  Not even thermal grizzly is THAT much XD

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I love this. Thanks Amazon. Everyone else assumes I want the cost per gram, but the cost per kilo is where it's at. The most useful unit of mass for comparison is obviously two and a half orders of magnitude away.

image.png.6ae21b752457c0e27e90234db58956de.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

29 minutes ago, that_dude said:

Think Amazon (sold by amazon) used a placeholder price:

Yeah, I expect so as well. Arctic hasn't officially launched it so no official price yet, that 28 Euro is just what the news articles have been reporting since that Amazon listing is the only page for it so far. Once Arctic officially announces it or there's an update in price somebody let me know and I'll update the post.

My guess is it will be somewhere around the same cost as the MX-4 and MX-5.

It'll be interesting to see if Arctic starts including the MX-6 paste with their existing or upcoming coolers, though I think they'll stick to what they currently use since the MX-5 wasn't included with coolers AFAIK.

Cant trust out of stock prices. Will be priced the same as the old pastes.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

MX-5 has been EOL for 6+ months. Nice to see they fixed the elasticity (like der8auer had to fix for his Kryonaut). this is hopefully it for "out-of-season" pump-out happening, and MX-6 and Kryonaut Extreme can go back to topping charts xD (And giving competition to MasterGel Pro V2 and Prolimatech PK-3).

Cool. Shame for MX-5 I still use MX-4 so far. By the time for a new build we'll see what tops the charts eventually.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I can only recommend anyone that isn't reliant on optimal cooling performance to get a thermal pad. Been using one since I got the 5800X and performance is still good.

In scenarios where I needed paste I've always used MX-5 or Noctua paste.

Looks like toothpaste packaging almost. I could've sworn MX-5 was just released, but it must have been the recent recalled batch that I misremembered. My paste of choice recently has been PK3 after using MX-4 for years.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I still have staining on my dark heros VRM and m.2 heatsink from MX-5 getting all over the place when removing my waterblock.

Sticking with KPX now. Its fine, and doesn't turn into silly string when removing components.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

On 9/23/2022 at 8:32 AM, Spotty said:

Summary

Arctic's MX-5 thermal compound has now been listed as End-of-Life on Arctics website and it appears the company is getting ready to release a new thermal paste, creatively called MX-6.

MX-5 thermal compound was recalled earlier this year after defects were found that caused issues with liquid separation and premature hardening.
This does not appear to affect Arctic MX-4 which is still currently available and has not had the same issues MX-5 had.

Quotes

image.png

My thoughts

Sources

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/arctic-halts-troublesome-mx-5-thermal-paste-mx-6-successor-spotted-at-almost-three-times-the-price.html

Bought a 20g MX-5 for 10.99 euros on Amazon France last month, works just fine 😉