Mac vs. PC

WinNut

I am trying to battle with a friend on how the PC is better than the Mac in the price:performance ratio. My comparison is to the Mac Pro ($4K), and I tried speccing out something on the spot in the lab but the bell rang at the moment. He didn't even give a fuck when I said I was going to water cool the rig.

Please help me try to show how the PC is better. Thanks!

show him a $8 garbage can

cheaper price and better performance

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the mac pro is worth the price btw, mac sucks because its not compatible with 99.99999999999% of all games

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

PC has better price to performance, but Macs are still good machines

Come on no, not another Mac vs PC.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

the mac pro is worth the price btw, mac sucks because its not compatible with 99.99999999999% of all games

lol wut, macs actually have a lot of support, more so than linux has.

I don't even try to convince people anymore than showing them the price/performance of a custom PC compared to Apple's PC's.

If they don't get it on that, they're just buying it for the name and *small vomit* looks.

The laptops look nice, everything else doesn't IMO.

Doesn't every game ported to OSX also get ported to Linux?

Mffofcj.gif

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

ok so maybe its just 99.9999% still millions of games in the world and not many for MAC

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

When I showed him how the 8350 surpassed the Xeon put inside the Mac he just said "meh."

If a huge fire lights up in this thread, I will have Slick extinguish it with the "lock" button.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and I can actually say this as I own both a high end gaming PC and a top end 15" MBP Retina. I wouldn't want to live without any of the two.

The only reason I hate the Mac Pro: AMD FirePro graphics. Also, they ditched Firewire. They shoulda kept FireWire, at least the 1394B standard, and should go with NVidia Quadro graphics instead. Those two things are dealbreakers for me.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

kinda hard to compare those firepro d-series GPU's to anything you could put in a PC, which always makes comparing a PC to a mac pro a little difficult.

From what I've heard the D500, of which the $3999 mac pro has two, ranks close to the FirePro W8000, 2 of those alone would be $2400. I hate to say it, but the Mac pro is hard to beat, if you really want to build something with the same SSDs, CPU and so on, you'd probably have trouble keeping it below $4k. Still hate apple's guts though :D

The age old debate, which is better: Mac or PC. The answer is simple... neither.  Why is it neither you ask?  Because no matter how much better one may be than the other (let's say the sake of an example PC is better than Mac), there will always be people arguing that the inferior one (in this case, Mac) is better and usually the inferior one/the underdog has bigger fanboys thus negating the physical evidence one is better than the other.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

imo its not worth the energy you will put into. Most Mac users don't have enough tech knowledge to understand they are paying too much for what they get, even if what they get can be good.

Mac has a lot of shortcomings in the business world imo. Software that you can't run without Virtual Machines and stuff like that.

I am also sick of sellers in stores selling Mac without asking what the customer wants to do with it. Its definitely not for everyone. I see Macs as cool toys for the average people because they could do what they do on a Mac with a cheaper computer.

When I showed him how the 8350 surpassed the Xeon put inside the Mac he just said "meh."

If a huge fire lights up in this thread, I will have Slick extinguish it with the "lock" button.

Well, it's a workstation computer, what do you think? FX8350 isn't really workstation worthy.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The only reason I hate the Mac Pro: AMD FirePro graphics. Also, they ditched Firewire. They shoulda kept FireWire, at least the 1394B standard, and should go with NVidia Quadro graphics instead. Those two things are dealbreakers for me.

I wonder what gear you have that runs 1394B. There are adapters for Thunderbolt to 1394B as well, so I don't see how sticking with the times is a bad thing.

If they don't get it on that, they're just buying it for the name and *small vomit* looks.

Have you even looked at the Build Log on the Linus Tech Tip forum?????????????????????

People call motherboards "ugly", "beautiful", and even some people want everything to be color co-ordinated in their machine... it goes on and on....

Doesn't every game ported to OSX also get ported to Linux?

nope, look at Bioshock Infinite.

I wonder what gear you have that runs 1394B. There are adapters for Thunderbolt to 1394B as well, so I don't see how sticking with the times is a bad thing.

Yeah, but Thunderbolt devices are rare and expensive. Firewire used to be the fastest standard until Thunderbolt came along.

Have you even looked at the Build Log on the Linus Tech Tip forum?????????????????????

People call motherboards "ugly", "beautiful", and even some people want everything to be color co-ordinated in their machine... it goes on and on....

True, but I'm talking about the apple sheeple (the people who blindly follow apple and swear they're the best, not the people who like apple and have common sense).

nope, look at Bioshock Infinite.

Dang, I didn't know that.

Mac users believe those things give them status and epeen so it's a hard battle to fight.... i'd say drop it.

as a pc user i do admit that the software is damn gorgeous but i hate the fact i can't play much.

cheers

Well, it's a workstation computer, what do you think? FX8350 isn't really workstation worthy.

Bleh. I looked at it from a raw specs standpoint, but yes, I don't think an 8350 fits a workstation.

imo its not worth the energy you will put into. Most Mac users don't have enough tech knowledge to understand they are paying too much for what they get, even if what they get can be good.

Mac has a lot of shortcomings in the business world imo. Software that you can't run without Virtual Machines and stuff like that.

I am also sick of sellers in stores selling Mac without asking what the customer wants to do with it. Its definitely not for everyone. I see Macs as cool toys for the average people because they could do what they do on a Mac with a cheaper computer.

Best one. This is what I have always been stressing toward him, but he was being a shithead.

It was at a bus stop, and I told him that I prefer a Windows OS due to it's complexity and many features to which he called me retarded, along with a female Mac fanboy. I was seriously thinking about running away from the stop, since I only need it for 4 blocks anyway.

Once I asked a person why she chose to own an iPhone. She replied that it was because Apple made it. 

Most views of a thread that I ever started. Wow.

I am going to hunt down that kid tomorrow and tell him what I found.

Yeah, but Thunderbolt devices are rare and expensive. Firewire used to be the fastest standard until Thunderbolt came along.

So what is the drawback of replacing 1394B with Thunderbolt? Thunderbolt is a newer (vastly superior) standard and it passively adapts converts to 1394B. The gear left in the world that still uses Firewire amounts to some music production hardware and legacy harddrives, that's about it. While fast Firewire was never really widespread in consumer applications, it's time to move on.