How do you guys store cables?

Alkaid

I guess every geek has a tons of cables - internet cables, USB A/B/C/Micro, DP/HDMI/AUX, etc. I put all of them into a drawer, and they tangle chaotically. Any advice for storing them properly? Thanks very much.

Main Desktop:

Case:Jonsbo A4

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K

GPU: Intel Arc A770 Limited Edition

CPU Cooling: Asus ROG Strix LC II 240mm AIO, with 4x Noctua A12x25 Fan.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690i Aorus Ultra DDR4

RAM: G.Skill DDR4 3600CL18 32GBx2
System Drive: Samsung 970Pro 1TB.

File Drive: Samsung 980Pro 2TB.

Media Drive: Intel S4510 3.84TBx2 (RAID 0)

PSU: Silverstone SX650G 650W SFX

Mini Home Server:

Case: Akasa Plato X8

CPU: Intel i5-8259U

Cooling: Passive Cooling Case

Motherboard: NUC8 i5BEH

RAM: 2400Mhz 16GBx2

Drive: Samsung 970Pro 512GB.

NAS :

Case: Jonsbo N1

CPU: Intel Xeon D-1521

Motherboard: X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

RAM: Micron 2400MHz ECC RDIMM 32GBx4

Pool 1: Data: WestDigit Red Plus 8TBx5 (RAID-Z1) Metadata: Intel P1600X 118GBx2 (Mirror)

Pool 2: Intel 670P 2TBx3 (RAID-Z1)

PSU: Silverstone SX300-B SFX

Mobile Devices: Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 (13.5-inch edition) | Microsoft Surface Go 2 | Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 | Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 | Microsoft Surface Headphones | Sony Linkbuds S | Sony Linkbuds

Roll them in a proper way by following the way it was packaged. Bind them with those thingies that they come with (can't find the wordt right now).

Then I store them in storage boxes. You just need to find a good size, luckily mine is kind of square and flat, so it fits fine. If the box is longer, you can stack them horizontally maybe. Just don't store the cables too tightly or cramped up.

Some people also use small plastic drawers that you can find in stores. Ziplock bags work well for each cables too.

My cables are in large bins. However I keep them separated in Ziploc bags that are labeled. This keeps them from getting tangled. It also makes it easy to just grab a bag of HDMI, USB C, USB A to B, etc. I just label all the bags. At this point I have a few large bins, so I keep more common cables in one bin, odder ones in others. 

Velcro cable ties or quart/gallon size ziploc bags.

Keep in mind that there is a right and a wrong way to coil things.  The correct method uses alternating overhand and underhand loops.  The reason for this is that cables will twist if you only use one type of loop to coil them.  And it gets worse with longer sections of cable.  Same logic applies to garden hoses and almost anything else you can think of.  It keeps the coils from twisting, knotting, etc.

I learned this many moons ago from being taught how to properly handle mic cables as a theater tech. 

Coiled up or zig-zagged (most of my cables still have the creases/bends in them from the factory so I follow that) then secured with zip ties that are looped inside out so they don't get locked by the retaining tooth thing. Possibly also a piece of tape to label what it is.

Then everything gets shoved in a cloth or ziploc bag, or in my backpack

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

I use the box from the Rise of the Tomb Raider special edition i bought to get the statue for an old build.  It's only cardboard but it's printed to look like a wooden crate.  Thought it was quite appropriate for the meters and meters of old 'You'll never ever use these days....Until that one day you need one...' cabling i got in there

Edited by SimplyChunk
spelling

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I loop them into a small bundle then use a cable tie to hold them. They are then stored in various Systainers that are labelled by type - USB, internal case cables, A/V cables, data cables, etc.

Ones I use regularly are in a draw next to my desk.

Everything else is in a rubber tote box under my desk.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I just throw them all in a drawer I have in the server cabinet then cry when I need to dig through it to find the one I'm looking for.

7 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I guess every geek has a tons of cables - internet cables, USB A/B/C/Micro, DP/HDMI/AUX, etc. I put all of them into a drawer, and they tangle chaotically. Any advice for storing them properly? Thanks very much.

I bought a huge bag of velcro cable ties on ali express a while back for around $5. I have been able to tie all of my cables and store them a large cotton bag that my coffee beans came in a few months ago

The cables that I rarely use float around my house mysteriously

8 hours ago, IPD said:

Velcro cable ties or quart/gallon size ziploc bags.

Keep in mind that there is a right and a wrong way to coil things.  The correct method uses alternating overhand and underhand loops.  The reason for this is that cables will twist if you only use one type of loop to coil them.  And it gets worse with longer sections of cable.  Same logic applies to garden hoses and almost anything else you can think of.  It keeps the coils from twisting, knotting, etc.

I learned this many moons ago from being taught how to properly handle mic cables as a theater tech. 

I also learned this, but in a different context! As an EMT, I'm regularly storing cables for cardiac monitors and a very grouchy nurse giving us training taught us this exactly to properly store them back in their pouches. She was pretty scary, and I wind my cables like that to this day.

As for cable storage in my personal life, I have a big 18 gallon tote that is full of cables, more fans than I care to think about, and random-parts-that-may-be-useful-someday. I plan on going through it in the near future with ziplocs and velcro cable ties soon though!

I just throw all of them in a drawer. Some cables i need regularly like for charging my keyboard are in my desk drawer.

Tbh it's not worth the time to sort them all imo. It would cost more time than i need atm when i have to search for a cable every few months.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I use a drawer, and occasionally I coil them up with cable ties.

Over/under ALL the cables!

Usually I'll take the last coil and wrap it through the cable a few times to secure it, if there aren't any cable ties handy or it's going to be stored for a while.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

In a trunk.

Every so often I purge 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

like 4 big ass boxes. Somewhat sorted, and somewhat wound up properly. Not the best but I don't run into tangles often 

I bought some 40pcs of velcro cable ties for active use. The rest are tied with plastic/metal twist-ties. Active ones are in bags I use daily or in drawers (one for phone/camera related, rest with PC stuff). Backups are sorted according to type and use (USB-A/B, USB-micro/mini, audio). Or just thrown in (mainly bigger ones). I don't tend to keep excessive amounts. Just couple of spares of anything.

Funny thing was that I was getting rid of some of the extra ones and my brother asked if I had VGA. I almost had discarded those already.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Rolled cables (with or w/out twisties, velcros) in ziplock bags by type, in a 30L plastic container.

Like the other people here,
They go in a tub, but multiple tubs depending on category.
Audio cables, PC external (power and monitor), USB, network

I have been getting more diligent about coiling them and so each cable is it's own bundle secured with a ziptie or cable tie.