I'm shook - the truth about ASUS North America. PAX West 2022

24 minutes ago, starsmine said:

no roswell, the only one arguing in bad faith is you.

we all recognize it could have been a malicious emoji. However we all also recognize emojis don't, and never have, had strict meanings; and without additional context, attributing malic on what can be an honest mistake, that simply could be solved by having it be a teachable moment is a bit much when there are many other possible reasons they put it there. Escalating the rhetoric doesn't help, as in this situation doing so will only build animosity.  

Emojis are a vibe, not a definition. You can use them to keep the tone light, keep it fun, keep it non personal. Communication will always have a disconnect between intention and perception. Which again, to forcibly attribute malice when those are possible intentions, does not respect the possibility of that disconnect.

It is correct to say, "hey it could be read as malicious, probably not wise to do that. People may misinterpret this"
It is not correct to say, "hey this is malicious, and you are wrong"

The rofl emoji is exclusively used to imply laughter. There’s no other way to interpret it. 

If I decided to post a picture of someone with a genetic deformity on this forum along with a bunch of rofl emojis, I’d get banned. You know, because the rest of the world doesn’t feel the need to play the extreme contrarian in  the most illogical of situations.

20 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

My mom uses ellipses all the time. 

To me they are ominous. To her they appear to serve the same purpose as "um" or "like". She just liberally sprinkles them on top of what she's typing. 

To imagine that everyone interprets a word or emoji the exact same way - even if it WAS the only definition - is simply not realistic. 

So am I good to go with my above scenario in off-topic then? Are we allowed to post pictures of disabled people with rofl emojis?

This has to be the dumbest thread I’ve participated in on this forum.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

17 minutes ago, Roswell said:

The rofl emoji is exclusively used to imply laughter. There’s no other way to interpret it. 

If I decided to post a picture of someone with a genetic deformity on this forum along with a bunch of rofl emojis, I’d get banned. You know, because the rest of the world doesn’t feel the need to play the extreme contrarian in  the most illogical of situations.

So am I good to go with my above scenario in off-topic then? Are we allowed to post pictures of disabled people with rofl emojis?

No, you get told not to do that, aka, teaching moment. Its only after doing it repeatedly after a warning that you assume malice. No one is being a contrarian here. 

And again, What are they laughing at? are they laughing because they love people enjoying their stuff, or are they laughing at deaf people? 
Hell perhaps they are laughing because they thought "how can anyone enjoy asus products" which is a whole other take all together. 

Stop assuming there is a perfect line between intention and perception in communication. You use heuristics and context to make educated guess, but they are always just that, educated guesses. to treat the guess with such confidence is... well a choice.

Here is a comidic way to introduce you to this topic with some brevity 

8 minutes ago, starsmine said:

No, you get told not to do that

Well that would be odd, wouldn’t it? Why would I get in trouble? You keep telling me that the rofl emoji is wide open for interpretation. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

20 minutes ago, Roswell said:

And all laughter is bad laughter? You haven't ever seen anyone laugh in context of "yay everyone likes us"? (and go read my previous posts before you try to claim I approve this full stop or other such nonsense.)

No, you wouldn't. You would get noted and asked for your intentions. Just like Asus should do with this employee.

Yet you decided to participate, does that mean you too are dumb?

Honestly, you have almost solely turned this into argument over semantics of emoji. Not discussion on how to act when someone uses or misuses terms in public. Making one mistake, as small as this, should never be reason for massive scandal.

Tell me, which disabled community you come from? As at the moment I see you using them as tool of your own agenda. Not helping, but making them look way more thin skinned and vulnerable than they actually are.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

25 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Well that would be odd, wouldn’t it? Why would I get in trouble? You keep telling me that the rofl emoji is wide open for interpretation. 

Now I have to assume you are the one strongly arguing in bad faith.

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

simply could be solved by having it be a teachable moment is a bit much when there are many other possible reasons they put it there. Escalating the rhetoric doesn't help, as in this situation doing so will only build animosity. 

It is correct to say, "hey it could be read as malicious, probably not wise to do that. People may misinterpret this"
It is not correct to say, "hey this is malicious, and you are wrong"

On 9/4/2022 at 2:47 AM, starsmine said:

AT MOST the person may need some sensitivity training in private after a goof up like that, but assuming harm, and responding with vitriol is to much of an initial step. Nor should the guy be flogged in public to get your dollar back. 

Now none of this is to say your concerns are not valid but escalation is not a great first step to get them addressed when people are unaware of the issue to begin with. First step would be to better educate, then move from there depending on where it goes.

I have been VERY consistent in saying in multiple ways the solution.

"Teachable moment"
"Sensitivity training"
"educate"
"Told not to do that"

all of which I used synonymously in an attempt to minimize this exact disconnect. 

While I will admit that I don't really know anyone personally who is deaf, most of this thread reminds me of this one scene from Lemonade Joe: (0:09)

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

4 hours ago, Roswell said:

You keep telling me that the rofl emoji is wide open for interpretation. 

Because it is - The fact that me,you and others interpret it in different ways validates that.

Your interpretation is not the only one in existence.

You should be more open minded about this sort of things...

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

My mom uses ellipses all the time. 

I do that as well,

I was about to add one or two of those in this response but i won't do that this time 😄

5 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Alternative interpretations have been mentioned and sources for alternative definitions have been provided in this thread for anyone with an open mind to understand.

Yep, being open minded to other opinions and interpretations than your own is the key to a better understanding and compassionate society.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 9/4/2022 at 4:45 AM, LinusTech said:

Back on topic, if I had to guess it's more novelty than actual disparagement... 

Any time I would sign with my mom in public people would watch us and ask questions once they figured out I can hear/speak.

We never really thought too much of it. 

Enthusiastic signing can come across wrong when out of context. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:09 PM, VanLuong said:

I didn't expect to see this, but am now so disappointed I'm legit just going to never buy their stuff again. This is the senior manager of their OPBG division on his own personal Instagram making fun of the deaf community at PAX West. I have a deaf younger sibling myself, and the fact that this Ernest person stood there and filmed them to mock them is absolutely sickening.

What a disappointment and seriously what a scumbag. I hope this ends up on the WAN show and that they expose this guy

73753852_ASUSPAXWestWTF.MOV

Hello Van Luong, "if this is even your real name". Haha to my opinion some people are too sensitive these days. Taking things out of context. Plus this is only one person action not the whole "ASUS". By the looks of the video and PAX West event, ASUS put a lot of effort to show off their great PC products to the gaming community. I have always use Asus PC components since 1998 and they always have the latest and great technology and wonderful leadership in innovation and performance. I don't even think the person recording mean to mock anyone. To be honest, seem like you "the person who post this thread is the one with bad intentions". "Move on"!

He says that they're "excited" as in them literally being excited about the hardware. Nor do I see any problem with the laughing emoji. Don't you ever laugh? Do you always perceive laughing as a form of offense?

You have one ludicrous hell of a way of interpreting things just so you have something to criticize and rabble about in favor of your snowflake narrative. It's frankly unnecessary, especially on a tech forum. If you want to rant about "Asus' discriminatory company politics", off to Twitter or Reddit you go. Not here.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

those trying to downplay the crappiness of what was done know deep in their hearts that this wasn't right.

the fact that you have to try and explain it as benign is proof enough.

17 minutes ago, VanLuong said:

those trying to downplay the crappiness of what was done know deep in their hearts that this wasn't right.

Don't try to sugar-coat your side either. You are so willing to think worst of someone that you want them fired and dragged to mud. Thats not how anyone will improve, but thats sure good way to get them push even harder against those who, in their eyes, hate everything.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, VanLuong said:

Translation: I have already made up my mind about this, and everyone who doesn't agree is wrong and will never convince me otherwise.  The more wrong people that are commenting, the more valid my opinion. 

Christ you sound like those people that used to burn witches with the argument of "if they're a witch they can save themselves as the fire won't affect them. if they burn alive, they're innocent"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒